• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Ryobi BGH616 6" Bench Grinder

I've been eyeballing the Ryobi BGH616 for a while as my old Ace Hardware 6" grinder has been making some funny noises, and the shop built tool rests on it were simply not doing the job...

I needed a grinder for various sharpening, and metals dressing tasks in the shop, and had been reading the professional comparions between bench grinders from bigger name brands such as Delta, Grizzly, Jet, DeWalt and others. And feature for feature, the field was reduced to 2 candidates, the Delta GR275, and the Ryobi BGH616. I specifically wanted a 6" grinder, in all honesty because I have a mess of grinder wheels left over from the old Ace Hardware grinder...

The Ryobi was chosen as the hands down winner due to its much lower cost.

The good.
    #1. Low profile motor housing, grinding at a right angle to the motor, say sharpening a mower blade, is not only possible, but simple with this setup. (Yeah, I checked with an old blade.)
    #2. Individual work lights over each wheel that pour light right onto the area you are working. The amount of light and aim of these thing so far has shown to be great. Very happy with this feature!
    #3. Easily adjustable tool rests.
    #4. Rubber isolation mounts to at least reduce the vibration transferred to the work bench.
    #5. Magnifier lens / eye shield over the left tool rest. This really helps in getting a close up view of what you are working on!
    #6. Soft start to the motor. The old Ace Hardware grinder kind of banged it's way up to almost instant speed, and took forever to stop once turned off. This grinder spins up smoothly and spins down quickly.

The Bad.
    #1. 2.1 amp motor. Not exactly a power house. However there is plenty of power on tap for any grinding tasks I have thrown at it so far.
    #2. I bought mine on a Black Friday door buster sale, and it appears that Ryobi rushed a bunch of these through production at the last minute, the paint on the base wasn't even completely dry. I am hoping that this is the only quality control issue that I have with this.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase, time will tell how happy...
    Last edited by dbhost; 01-13-2010, 12:01 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
Working...