• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skip C
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • Rowley, MA.

Which glue for rosewood?

I purchased what is turning out to be a very nice find: a type 6 Stanley #7 plane. Altho it was gummed up with so much black paint that I couldn't read any embossed numbers, it is in very good shape except for the knob which was split in half. When I got it, the knob had previously been glued (with hide glue I hope, but not sure) and string was wrapped around the knob. The knob is now in two peices - a clean split.

Should I put it under warm water to see if the glue is hide glue and just dissolves? There is not much glue left on the two sides; in fact the 2 sides fit quite tightly together.

I understand that rosewood is an oily wood-- what type of glue would be recommended for a rosewood knob?

Thanks for the advice, Skip
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I have used medium-bodied CA on rosewood with good results.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Remove any loose debris, but don't change the fit. Wipe with acetone, and use a two part epoxy.

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

Titebond II glues rosewood just fine.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Skip C
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2004
          • Rowley, MA.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have all 3 types of glue but I think that I will use go with the heavy duty stuff and use the epoxy. Thanks again. It's good to know that I had options. I am surprised that Titebond has been that successful; Titebond III is my go to glue due to its longer open time and less important in most applications, it is also waterproof.

Skip

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by Tom Slick
            Titebond II glues rosewood just fine.

It might for a while.

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • sears BT3 clone

We'll see... My statement comes from thousands of guitar necks, fretboards, and bodies they glued together with TBII at the place I used to work. AFAIK they had zero delamination issues while I worked there and they've been using rosewood fretboards for decades before me.
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                We'll see... My statement comes from thousands of guitar necks, fretboards, and bodies they glued together with TBII at the place I used to work. AFAIK they had zero delamination issues while I worked there and they've been using rosewood fretboards for decades before me.

That's impressive. The OP asked about a repair to "Rosewood" that had been previously glued. Are you suggesting that epoxy should not be used? Or that TB II would be a better glue than epoxy?

Comment

• Tom Slick
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • sears BT3 clone

All I'm saying is in actual application, rosewood and titebond II work fine. Just offering another option.

Why the skepticsm? Why epoxy over any other method?

Comment

Working...