• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Experiences with Folding outfeed table.

I notice that a coupld of people seem to have acquired a folding outfeed table (FOT) for their BT3X.

I got one with my BT3000 from the beginning. Some sort of outfeed table is required if you rip anything longer than 18 inches and if you cut any larger panels of ply or MDF, etc./

My comments: Generally I like it, still use it. the front is beveled so wood doen't catch, its nicely finished to match the BT3000, and the single leg makes it fast to set up and take down, compact to store and the attachment to the rail means as you move the saw around it lines up quickly to the right height.

The cons: Its heavy and when folded down you can move the saw but its really heavy to the back so it wants to be a bit unsteady if you use the original BT3 or accessory set casters and you have to lift the saw. ON a mobile base its more steady and the height adjustment works enough to compensate.

The other con is the placement of the hinge. If you line up the table in the most reasonable place, that is, more or less squarely behind the saw, the left hinge interferes with the movement of the SMT in its most preferred positions to the left of the main table, even when folded. After a few days of ownership I drilled some new holes in the table and moved the left hinge to a position behind the main table directly behind the blade. This allows the SMT to go back; it still hits the table but there's enough travel so that items are cut through (e.g. the miter fence stops only after it passes the front of the blade). The attachment ot the rail simply slides anywhere on the rail so its OK.

After mods, I rate the FOT as a good accessory.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-13-2008, 11:03 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Loring,

Interesting post.

I made a bridge outfeed table that clamps to the rear rail and has a support down to the base. The main support is my assembly table that sits behind the BT3100 (and about a foot away).

Jim

Comment

• RLonning
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2005
      • Hailey, ID, USA.

Fot

I got the FOT when I got my BT3000, years ago. I keep it up almost all the time and don't move the saw much any more (rail extensions installed as well). I find I use the FOT as an accessory bench, e.g., glue ups, finishing table, etc., etc., as much as an outfeed table. I appreciate the ease in folding it down when I move my antique Shopsmith out from the wall in drill press mode. If they didn't make it, I would have had to design one.

Comment

• niki
        • Nov 2006
        • Poland
        • EB PK255

Maybe my configuration will give you some ideas.

I have to "clear" the garage every night for the car to get in so I made the Infeed and Outfeed tables QAD - Quick Attach Detach...

The Infeed table is "clicking" in a groove on the front rail and the Outfeed table is "clicked" between the back rail and the table.

The leg is attached with a hinge so I can fold it for storing.

It take seconds to install/remove and I can move them left/right to fit the fence position.

Regards
        niki

]

Comment

Working...