10x12 workshop layoug ideas and Questions...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

An "outbuilding" is defined as any structure which is not attached to the main structure. This definition does not include bonafide additions to the main residence or garages, but does include storage sheds and gazebos.
    It seems to me the language, while totally refuting the words in my theory, tends to support the principle of my theory. They're worried about garden sheds, storage, and the like.

OTOH, if you think in terms of "bonafide addition" you might be on the right track. It'll cost an order of magnitude more than a pre-fab shed, but you might get what you want. Build a shop, include a breezeway, and "wolla!", yer pig in you-know-what.

I mention all this because 10' x 12' is just too small for a woodworking shop. IMHO, you have to either move the other stuff out of the garage into a shed, or build a proper shop of at least 12' x 20'.

JR
    JR

Comment

• shoottx
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • Plano, Texas
      • BT3000

Why not just enlarge the Garage both in width and depth?

Wouldn't be an out building. It would solve most of your problems, and would add to resale.
      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by shoottx
        Why not just enlarge the Garage both in width and depth?

Wouldn't be an out building. It would solve most of your problems, and would add to resale.
        Uh,

Ka ching, ka ching, ka ching...

10x12 Tuff Shed installed with permits etc... $2,500.00 and some change.

Don't even want to think about how much adding onto the garage would cost...

Attached Garage you know. Brick, next to impossible to match...

At that point might be easier and cheaper to bull doze the existing house and start from scratch. The way the house is set up on the lot, not the worst idea I have heard, but not financially feasable...

I worked up a shelving drawing with the mower, the BBQ stuff, and plenty of storage for lawn & garden as well as sporting goods, and aside from the canoe which is simply too big to store in any shed, it looks like using the shed for storage, and trying my best to keep LOML into one bay in the garage is my best bet...

Yes I have pained over this repeatedly in the past, and most likely will until I get it squared away for me... I sure wish I had enough land and no HOA to be able to build a 16 x 24, or even better, 16x32 Gambrel Roof Barn with a loft.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• drillman88
          • Dec 2007
          • Southeast
          • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

I have a 10x12 that I work out of , I don't really work in it as the others say.
          The main thing I see about your layout that I have done different is to have open shelving about 4' up on the long wall. I made 3 shelves 12" that fit around the studs about 18" apart that run the length of that wall.I prefer the open shelving because you can let thing hang over if wider than shelf.I also have a couple of work mates that I have my portable router table and planer set up on.I can use these as work benches as well as tool holders.
          I ran 10 ga from 30 amp breakers feeding a subpanel with three breakers.2 for outlets and 1 for lighting and dont have any problems.
          I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by JR
            It seems to me the language, while totally refuting the words in my theory, tends to support the principle of my theory. They're worried about garden sheds, storage, and the like.

OTOH, if you think in terms of "bonafide addition" you might be on the right track. It'll cost an order of magnitude more than a pre-fab shed, but you might get what you want. Build a shop, include a breezeway, and "wolla!", yer pig in you-know-what.

I mention all this because 10' x 12' is just too small for a woodworking shop. IMHO, you have to either move the other stuff out of the garage into a shed, or build a proper shop of at least 12' x 20'.

JR
            Breezeway, then shop? So you are talking physically attaching / effectively sharing a roof?

I need a new roof due to Ike, so this is as good of a time as any... I know 12x20 is really a minimum I want to work in as that is effectively the space I have in the garage around the other crud... I was not intending on putting up a pre fab shed though. But rather something more akin to a site built structure... Like a Tuff Shed.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

DB, is all that stuff coming in really necessary items? IE - are they garage sale, goodwill type items? I dont know the situation, but how much stuff can one single person possibly have! Turn the junk into green, especially around x-mas time, what better gift than space for you and cash for her.
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                At that point might be easier and cheaper to bull doze the existing house and start from scratch.
                Go for it DB we are with you all the way.
                Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by poolhound
                  Go for it DB we are with you all the way.
                  Does that mean you're footin' the bill? If so okay here we go!!!

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

"out buildings" are often exempt from building codes. around here, where a building permit is required for almost anything, an "out building" of 120 sqft or less with no utilities doesn't require a permit. they call it an "out building of no consequence." anything added to an existing dwelling would require it to be built as if it was remodel work, including all current codes with permits and inspections for everything.

I'd certainly stick with the storage shed idea.

I work out of a small garage, my driveway is my shop and I like it that way. the boards always fit into the shop and the wind does my sweeping.
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

As was said, the Palypen is tool storage. Everything come out to the 12x16 deck for work. Obvious drawback is the weather limitations. Even with a roof over the deck rain accompanied by wind means a work stoppage. Summer heat can be tolerated with strategically placed fans but days when the temp is low enough to affect glue ups there is nothing you can do. Storage and accessabilty to shelves and cabinets is a constant problem.

Stay with the garage shop and store the sports stuff and lawn tools in the shed.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• DonHo
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2004
                        • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                        • Craftsman 21829

My first shop was in a 10'X12' storage shed. It's cramped at best but with good planning and by putting most if not all your tools on mobile carts that include storage it can work. I've since moved my shop into a 12'X14' shed and use the 10X12 for storage and for a few of the larger tools that I don't use all that often.

Here are some pics of my old 10' X 12' shop. As you can see, all the tools are on mobile bases with storage(I'd use 4 swivel locking casters under each base as the 4 swivel casters make moving the tools much easier). The 3 tools on plywood bases (over the shop vac) were used with the cart on which the router table is sitting. Kinda my version of a tool dock system.
                        Hope this gives you some ideas.

DonHo
                        Attached Files
                        Don

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Don, your pics just made me REAL claustrophobic. Thanks. That kind of cinches it for me. The storage stuff is going in the shed. I go back to the original plan of putting everything on wheels and rolling it all to the left when LOML wants to park her car in the garage. Such as lousy weather days like this one...

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Don, I keep thinking about your setup, and I keep seeing rolling tool carts come up on Craigslist on the cheap... So let's see if I have the concept down right...

Rolling tool cart, provides lots of drawers, and a big flat surface for bencthop tools mounted on plywood panels...

The plywood panels in turn nest on shelving standards when not in use, sort of a benchtop tool garage...

With my band saw, and floor model drill press the small shed is still too small, but I kind of like the idea for maximizing floor space in the garage...

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                              • Dec 2006
                              • hagerstown, md

There was a article in FWW on a 160SF shop that seemed to work quite well.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=29505
                              パトリック
                              daiku woodworking
                              ^deshi^
                              neoshed

Comment

• FL Buckeye
                                Established Member
                                • Aug 2005
                                • WC Florida and Crossville, TN
                                • BT3100, Grizzly 1023SL

Originally posted by dbhost

To quote my covenants and restrictions...

Quote:
                                1. An "outbuilding" is defined as any structure which is not attached to the main structure. This definition does not include bonafide additions to the main residence or garages, but does include storage sheds and gazebos.
                                2. The ACC will consider the following:
                                1. The colors should match/blend with the predominant exterior colors of the main residence.
                                2. Materials should match those of the main residence in both size and color, however, the ACC will approve small prefabricated metal storage buildings providing the color blends with the main residence.
                                3. It should have a peaked roof, no higher than 9 feet (9’) from the ground to the highest point and a maximum of ten feet by twelve feet (10’X12’) of floor space. The structure must be kept a minimum of three feet (3’) off the rear and side property lines. Distance from the side property line may be increased based on visibility from the street in front of the lot. Location must also be far enough away from fence to allow for drainage to occur entirely on the owner’s lot. The structure will be considered on a case by case basis.
                                4. Storage buildings placed on a concrete slab on top of a utility easement will require letters of Consent to Encroach as it will not be considered portable. If a storage building is not on the utility easement, but on a slab, and can be moved, the ACC will consider it as portable.
                                5. No storage building can be built up against any side or rear wall of the home unless its maximum height is less than six feet (6’) and it is not visible above the fence. It must also comply with all the other requirements for proper construction, size, and location.
                                6. If its under six feet (6’), it may be placed in the side yard, provided three foot (3’) minimum is observed.
                                7. Freestanding Gazebo must be at least six feet (6’) away from house. It’s maximum height at peak cannot exceed eleven feet (11’) and must be three feet (3’) away from side and back fence.

Funny thing is, after the hurricane blew through, I noticed no less than 4 sheds that are at least 12x20 in my neighborhood. A lot of my neighbors get around the high fence restriction using "rot boards" which are not restricted, beneath the 6 foot pickets which are required...
                                "Should" does not mean the same as "must", and from what you quoted and observed, the POA hasn't been interpreting their restrictions the same for everyone. Also if it says outbuildings "include storage sheds and gazebos", then says "no higher than 9ft", and later allows gazebos to be 11ft high, why not allow a workshop to be larger than 10x12? Since "The structure will be considered on a case by case basis", I would ask for their permission to build larger than 10x12 and point out that they have already permitted it. Provide a picture or drawing that will show it as a property improvement.

Where I live in FL, no outbuildings are allowed at all since 1998 but some older homes are grandfathered if they had it before then. So my workworking is limited to the winter months as I don't like our vehicles sitting out in the heat and sun, nor do I like putting everything away on a daily basis. This year we bought a home in TN with no such restrictions and I plan on building a workshop to use in the summer months, (and maybe year-round if the housing market ever improves in FL). So I share your pain on trying to work out a solution. Hang in there.
                                Lanny

The older you get, the better you used to be.

Comment

Working...