• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

windstorm damages my shop

We had a tornado or something roll in this morning. The big spruce is now resting on the roof of my detached shop. There is a hole in the roof and water got in and already started to rust my TS. The roof is holding but I see evidence that there is extreme pressure on the rafters. I'm staying out of there until the tree is removed. I'll post pics when power and Internet are restored. If you remember, my neighbor's walnuts were denting my cars. That's no longer a problem either
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

Wow, glad you weren't hurt. Mother Nature can be pretty nasty sometimes!

Good luck...
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Also glad you are ok! Hopefully you'll be able to get some good stock from the walnut.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• 9johnny5
        Established Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Orange Park, FL
        • BT3100

I'm with Mark...perhaps your neighbor will give you the walnut to make amends for the dings to your car. At least that won't be a factor downsizing now.

Good luck, I hope everything works out for you brother.

Johnny C.

OOPS... I took it to mean that your neighbor's walnut tree went down...then I realized it was probably just stripped of all the walnuts. Maybe you can use some spruce stock...???
        not exactly Norm...al

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Wow, when it rains it pours! I am glad that you and your family are ok. I assume the house is intact. That is a good thing. You might want to put a couple of braces and nail them in place, when they come to remove the tree, they will cut it in sections that can cause the load to shift around which might further damage the shop. If it's safe to do so, of course!
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            I'm staying out of there until the tree is removed.
            Even then, take caution of the possibility of further damage. Sure don't want the roof to fall in on ya. Good thing nobody was hurt.

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            If you remember, my neighbor's walnuts were denting my cars. That's no longer a problem either
            Just goes to say that where there's bad, there is some good.

Comment

• jabe
              • Apr 2006
              • Hilo, Hawaii
              • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Glad you're OK. Too bad about your shop's roof, be careful entering even after the tree is removed. Hope your insurance take care of your losses.

Comment

• lrogers
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Mobile, AL. USA.
                • BT3000

Like everyone, glad you and the family are okay. Having the shop damaged sucks, but it can all be fixed.
                Larry R. Rogers
                The Samurai Wood Butcher
                http://splash54.multiply.com
                http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

Glad to hear everyone is all right. And now the silver lining....
                  You won't have to give up part of the shop to park the car in there now. Might get some good lumber and at least a new roof on the shop. Perhaps in the hole you can put in a dormer for some more light in the shop. And the best part is you will be able to stand around and supervise the contractors that come to clean up and do the repairs.

Don't forget to file a claim for the water damage to the tools.

Bill
                  you should always look on the bright side, for the monsters live on the dark side

Comment

• tommyt654
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2008

Sorry to here about the damage, Good things usually come out of the bad,So heres to you and your familys speedy recovery

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Thanks for all the best wishes. My next door neighbor had power so she let me run an extension cord to her house to power our fridge, freezer, and fan. After 13 hours, the work crews restored power about an hour ago. Internet seems fine, too. They were only working on it for about 5 hours. It was my other neighbor's walnut that took down the power lines. I'm very impressed with how fast they worked once they showed up. I've got a tree cutter lined up who was recommended to me by the sawyer I know. My neighbor is giving me the walnut. The trunk is very straight and long. This is the base of the walnut. The canopy of the tree is still blocking the road, though.

Our neighborhood was hit pretty hard but most of the trees and limbs fell between houses or in safe areas. I heard one of the historic homes which was a dentist's office was condemned, though. Even our tree that fell on my shop was a little miraculous. It naturally leaned 5-10degrees towards our house and it falling on our bedroom was always a concern. The storm blew the tree in the opposite direction on top of the shop. I guess it could have fallen between the house and the shop but this was still not a horrible result. We are bummed, though, because this was such an awesome tree. It shaded our house and patio and kept us cool but at least my wife can have that garden she's always wanted. All the weight of the tree is sitting on the top of my shop roof. A branch has penetrated the roof and water leaks in.

Another view of the back of our house and my shop from my neighbor's yard. The root ball is sticking out of the ground more than 6' in the air. You're only seeing 1/2 to 2/3 of tree. This tree was easily 40'-50' tall. City employees were all over the neighborhood this morning assessing damage. City hall won't have power until tomorrow night so they've got free time. One of the employees was the city building inspector. He was very pleased with himself that my shop was still standing because he inspected this shop before it went under construction.

I filed my claim but I'm still waiting for insurance to call me back. I bought a tarp at HF to cover the roof but there's no way for me to get up there. So I have it draped over my TS and other tools. The hole in the roof is directly over the TS with insulation and drywall in between. The TS top is completely rusted over. Maybe I can have a real drywaller come in and finish off the ceiling. The force of the impact must have been pretty traumatic. You can see my air cleaner was knocked hard enough to be knocked off 2 screw eyes and now it's just swinging free. A retractable cord reel on the ceiling was also knocked to the ground. If I had put all that lumber on the wall, it probably would have been knocked off. Luckily, the canoe and bike I had hanging weren't affected.

The roof is definitely in distress. The facia boards on the rear of the shop have separated and one of the rafters in the back corner has knocked the facia board loose by 1". The roof is getting squished, I suppose. The outside wall opposite the tree seems to be a little distorted, too. Good thing is the tree crew will be here at 7am tomorrow. I originally wanted to have this Norway Spruce milled into slabs but I don't think it will be very good furniture wood and will be really sappy. I just don't have space for all this wood. I shouldn't even be keeping the walnut but I can't pass it up. Out of sentimentality, though, I'm going to have the cutter make some shorter log stumps of the spruce so I can use them for benches or something.

Paul

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

make sure you indicate there's tool damage to the insurance adjuster.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Shep
                          • Nov 2008
                          • Columbus, OH
                          • Hitachi C10FL

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          make sure you indicate there's tool damage to the insurance adjuster.
                          Also, you should be able to get some $ for the tree that fell down too.
                          -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

Working...