• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
    Antique pine dining room table for wife's Christmas present. The buffet is in progress in the shop.
    I need to build one of those, along with a matching china cabinet...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Neal
      Established Member
      • Apr 2012
      • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
      • Ryobi BT3000

I built these (they now have doors, but I don't have pictures).

I also built an ultimate tool stand

Unfortunately the MDF failed miserably, and I now have to figure out what I'm going to do with it. It racked badly, and nothing I did seemed to stabilize it. Eventually it completely failed and collapsed after the screw holes stripped. A lot of time spent for a total disaster.

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by Neal
        Unfortunately the MDF failed miserably, and I now have to figure out what I'm going to do with it. It racked badly, and nothing I did seemed to stabilize it. Eventually it completely failed and collapsed after the screw holes stripped. A lot of time spent for a total disaster.
        I hate to hear that. I know that there was a lot of time and money invested.

I've looked at the plans for that, but decided if I ever built it, it would have to be plywood given the amount of humidity my shop sees. Do you know if humidity/moisture was the cause of yours failing, or do you think something else might have caused it?
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Neal
          Established Member
          • Apr 2012
          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by JSUPreston
          I've looked at the plans for that, but decided if I ever built it, it would have to be plywood given the amount of humidity my shop sees. Do you know if humidity/moisture was the cause of yours failing, or do you think something else might have caused it?
          I suppose the humidity could have had something to do with it. We get plenty of that here in my neck of the woods. I did use plenty of poly all over it though. I used pocket holes & screws with glue to attach the vertical panels in the lower section.

I also think a big factor was the casters. I purchased what I thought were stout enough casters based on their weight rating at HF. But I don't think they were quite up to the task. The amount of effort it took to get it moving at times placed a lot of stress on the unit as a whole. I used 1x
          s across the back to help reduce some of the racking, but it didn't work very well as the MDF is a lousy substance to try and attach anything of any consequence.

I'll figure out something in the spring when I can get out and work again (for now I'm pretty much limited to working on the driveway in good weather which means the end of March will be the first chances I get.)

I think if I do a rebuild, I will use 2x2's or 2x4's for the main support pieces.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Photos of some of the small tables I built in 2014. Most have beach theme coasters imbedded. They were intended to be sold in several specialty beach shops but I've havent gotten them there yet.
            Attached Files

Comment

• BadeMillsap
              • Dec 2005
              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
              • Grizzly G1023SL

Wow capncarl you DID build a bunch of tables! Nice!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
              "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
              Bade Millsap
              Bulverde, Texas
              => Bade's Personal Web Log
              => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Neal, sorry to hear that. On the two end boxes, there appears to be a piece of plywood underneath the larger sheet of MDF. Does the ply sit on a shoulder rabbet on the verticals or is it purely a butt joint? I would definitely want it to sit on a shoulder even if it's only 1/8" deep.

Even if you went to all plywood construction, if you don't have a large enough back nailed/glued/screwed on, it's going to rack again. Even a 1/8" sheet of hardboard would be sufficient.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Neal, love those shelves. My garage looks almost exactly like yours and I have been wanting shelves in the same spot.

Carl, great looking tables. You have been very productive to say the least.
                  Joe

Comment

• Neal
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2012
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                    Neal, sorry to hear that. On the two end boxes, there appears to be a piece of plywood underneath the larger sheet of MDF. Does the ply sit on a shoulder rabbet on the verticals or is it purely a butt joint? I would definitely want it to sit on a shoulder even if it's only 1/8" deep.

Even if you went to all plywood construction, if you don't have a large enough back nailed/glued/screwed on, it's going to rack again. Even a 1/8" sheet of hardboard would be sufficient.
                    There is and there is a dado in which a plywood tongue sits.

Joey: I'll try to get some pics with the doors on at some point.

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                      Photos of some of the small tables I built in 2014. Most have beach theme coasters imbedded. They were intended to be sold in several specialty beach shops but I've havent gotten them there yet.
                      I love the wood finish ones, are they all walnut? I especially like the round/triangular one and I have a lot of walnut so they would make a great project once I get my shop finished.
                      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

Poolhound, the painted ones are all Lowes #1 pine or white wood as they call it. The paint was my experiment in chalk paint, from information from people supposedly in the know about chalk paint, but definitely not! Probably 8 hrs labor in painting each painted table. The round/ triangle table is a 3 drop leaf table that I copied from a photo of a friends table. It had a pedestal base, I don't like pedestals so I changed it to 3 tapered legs. One is made out of antique pine, the other is Chinaberry.
                        capncarl

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Okay guys, I just went back through my photo album by date, and while not all are woodworking directly projects, they ARE workshop related, so for 2014 I was actually FAR more productive than I thought...

#1. I finished the sheet rocking / painting / re-configuration of the shop.
                          #2. I designed and built the SCMS dust hood that doesn't work quite as well as I thought it would. It helps, just not as much as I would like...
                          #3. I built a rolling clamp rack to get my clamps off the wall. This has turned out to be a HUGE improvement.
                          #4. I cut / fitted more shelving in the shop.
                          #5. I built a custom box for my HF large Bimetal hole saw set. Nothing fancy, just a simple cut, pilot hole and screw & glue construction.
                          #6. I built and installed a mount plate for my 50' HF pnuematic hose reel, and single handedly installed that reel (no small task!).
                          #7. Made a simple hanging / clamping base for my HF half blind dovetail jig.
                          #8. Replaced the transmission pump seal, torque converter, bushings, and rubber transmission lines on my truck.
                          #9. Rebuilt my 20+ year old Blue Point air ratchet. Oh it runs so sweet now!
                          #10. Replaced a failed transmission shift cable that I should have done while the tranny was out of the truck.
                          #11. Installed a "Guitar Hanger Board". I.E. a piece of 1x8, hung above the door frames across the wall in the music room / office, securely anchored to the studs to provide a place to anchor my guitar hangers and get the basses / guitars out of their cases so I can play them.
                          #12. Made a simple riser / angling stand for my Behringer 12 input mixer.
                          #13. Built the dual compressor manifold, and plumbed it through a filer / dryer, and then through a filter / regulator.
                          #14. Created a stand off block drilled through to allow distance from the ceiling to allow the air hose to the reel from the compressor to pass over the shop light.

Right now I am at the stage where the shop is a disaster, I have Hardie panel pre cut, and painted ready to be installed on the house, and my back is in NO condition to do it. I need to hire this job out. Once the siding is fixed, I will get back to work on the shop. Specifically I have material prepped and ready, just no room to safely work due to building materials, for me to build the end table / dog crate I designed earlier this year...
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tfischer
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2003
                            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

In March I built a "Thumb Piano". For Christmas 2012, my brother in law gave me he plans and hardware kit for it, but I didn't have the motivation to actually do anything with them until this past year. It was a fun project and got me back into woodworking after a number of years off, and also back into this forum. See the pic below.

That project inspired me to create a more complex instrument, so I got the "Autochord" autoharp plans from the same company, again doing a scratch build with their hardware kit and plans. Really enjoyed this project and it's been a fun instrument to have around (as has the thumb piano). I've attached a pic of it as well, and here's a link to the gallery showing the build as it progressed: Autochord Pictures

Then during the rest of the summer I worked on new bunk beds for my boys. I detailed that project pretty thoroughly on a thread here at the time. I had used the same plans, scaled down, to build a "junior bed" for my oldest boy, so they were somewhat familiar... this time I built two of them as XL Twins and side slats and a ladder so they can be bunked. The final pic shows the finished product, and here's the build gallery.

That was it for 2014 as far as 'major' woodworking projects. Hope to get going soon in 2015 making a few post office box door banks, and possibly another musical instrument for a relative.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                              • Grizzly G1023SL

Nice Tim ... I like the Autoharp especially!
                              "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                              Bade Millsap
                              Bulverde, Texas
                              => Bade's Personal Web Log
                              => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• Subrosa
                                Handtools only
                                • Sep 2014
                                • UK
                                • Record Power 250c

My projects of 2014

Hello there my name is Kris Dalziel, I haven't really posted here before but I did come here looking for advice from atgcpaul, he had created something that I wanted to make and he was so helpful I kept coming back to check everybodys projects because I found them inspirational. I am from the UK and I started studying Furniture Making at college in September 2012, I had never used a chisel and I didn't know what a dovetail was.

Now at the beginning of 2015 I have two commissions behind me and more in front and I thought when I saw this thread it might be nice to post some of the pictures of the 4 pieces of furniture I made in 2014.

I have no real idea how to post images here so I typed bb code image post in google and was able to create a clickable picture with a link to my google plus images, I see an upload button but it opens a window that seems to do nothing most likely error on my side.

I have posted the images on google plus and here is a link to the post, thank you so much for being so helpful as a community and carry on inspiring me please in 2015.

https://plus.google.com/101166592545...ts/dDNAZzfQS13

Comment

Working...