Exterior door threshold - water leaks - suggestions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Exterior door threshold - water leaks - suggestions?

I recently installed one of these thresholds and door sweeps on my front door (photos below). The problem is that in a driving rain (aiming toward the front door), some water is still getting in at the seam where the little plastic weather stripping meets the wood on the threshold.

Any suggestions?
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Add a storm door? That would be the easiest thing to do but it is expensive. My sister's first house had the same problem and after trying various combinations of door sweeps, weather stripping, etc, she added a storm door and that fixed it.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Shep
      • Nov 2008
      • Columbus, OH
      • Hitachi C10FL

How tight is the bond between the sweep and the wooden threshold? The reason I ask is that the threshold has ajustable screws to increase/decrease the hight. This might fix the problem
      -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

Is the door sealed around the frame?

you could try a door sweep with a rain drip cap to keep water from running down the door and going inward at the bottom.

notice how this door sweep has a rounded front edge, the water will drip off of it.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Shep
          How tight is the bond between the sweep and the wooden threshold? The reason I ask is that the threshold has ajustable screws to increase/decrease the hight. This might fix the problem
          It's pretty tight, and the adjustable part is lowered all the way. The water isn't getting in between the sweep and the top of the threshold. It's getting in between the wooden part of the threshold (the part that has the adjustment screws) and the small bit of plastic weather stripping between the wooden part and the aluminum part.
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Tom Slick
            you could try a door sweep with a rain drip cap to keep water from running down the door and going inward at the bottom.
            This might help -- I'll see if I can find something like this.

I might try running a bit of caulk between the wood and aluminum on the threshold (under the weatherstripping) first and see if I have any better luck with that.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

It's not easy to fix.

We had some improved results using a drip strip at the bottom of the door. Something like this: http://www.kilianhardware.com/acbrondriped.html
              Erik

Comment

• Kristofor
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2004
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

I tried a couple replacement sweeps, an extra drip flap etc. and they helped but didn't totally fix the issue. With strong wind it's not very hard to blow the water uphill. I ended up solving the problem for real by adding a storm/screen door...

Comment

Working...