X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Anyway to fix a broken spray can

Last year I ordered a 3 pack of Boeshield t-9. I have to re-apply about 3 times a year to prevent rusting. Anyway I finally used up the first can but find the other 2 won't spray. I press the tip and nothing. I took off the tip thinking it may just be clogged and pushed the tube against the wall and nothing. I can here the liquid in the can when I shake it so I know it's not empty. Any suggestions on how to salvage it? At worst I figure I can just puncture it and transfer it to a spray bottle but anyone know of a better way?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • wardprobst
    • Jan 2006
    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
    • Craftsman 22811

Shake well, take the nozzle off, hold the can vertically and depress the tube to see if you get any liquid. If that doesn't work, invert the can and test. If that doesn't work, drill through the tube and pour it out.
    DP
    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

or, you could just write to them and explain that you now have 2 unusable cans of product and see if they will send you new ones.

Bill
      on the left coast

Comment

• sailor55330
        Established Member
        • Jan 2010

Clay pigeon launcher, 12gauge, #8 skeet load. More fun than writing customer service.

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

With Sailor's method, if the color is right, you could literally 'paint the town red'. How many people can make that claim?!
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• All Thumbs
            Established Member
            • Oct 2009
            • Penn Hills, PA
            • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by wardprobst
            Shake well, take the nozzle off, hold the can vertically and depress the tube to see if you get any liquid. If that doesn't work, invert the can and test. If that doesn't work, drill through the tube and pour it out.
            DP
            Sounds like a sure-fired way to apply for a Darwin award.

Isn't there still a chance the can is pressurized but the valve was defective?

Comment

• Charlie R
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2007

Experiment with your air compressor. Take the plastic spray cap off the valve and press the valve with the blow tip of your air system to pressurize the can. Use caution not to blow the can, but its an easy process that works most of the time. Wear gloves and a face shield.

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                or, you could just write to them and explain that you now have 2 unusable cans of product and see if they will send you new ones.

Bill
                on the left coast
                Decided to follow your advice. It didn't really occur to me because it's been close to a year since I bought them and have been pretty much accustomed to bad customer service. Well to my surprise I get an email back the following day stating they were sorry for my inconvenience and will ship out 2 replacement cans. All they asked for were the lot numbers printed on the can. Presumably so they could compare them to any future complaints. So big thumbs to Boeshield CS.

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by All Thumbs
                  Sounds like a sure-fired way to apply for a Darwin award.

Isn't there still a chance the can is pressurized but the valve was defective?
                  I'm thinking this is the case since they did spray initially but then stopped a few seconds later.

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Jussi, what has been your experience with the Boeshield? Worth the money or no? I have been having good success using light machine oil for cleaning followed by Johnson's paste wax but would love to hear your story on it.
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• jussi
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by chopnhack
                      Jussi, what has been your experience with the Boeshield? Worth the money or no? I have been having good success using light machine oil for cleaning followed by Johnson's paste wax but would love to hear your story on it.
                      I've had real good luck with it. I spray a generous layer, let it set for a couple of hours, wipe it off and follow with wax. I live close to the ocean so ci surfaces rust quickly. If I remember to re-apply a couple times a year I stay pretty much rust free. Only problem I get is when I forget to re-apply.

But if you've found something that works for you I don't really see a reason to switch

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

How often do you use your equipment and do you rewax in between Boeshield applications?
                        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• jussi
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007

It depends on how often I use it but usually about every 3-4 months. I usually spray a light coating of the Boeshield and go over the tops with steel wool to get any old wax off. Wipe it down and then apply the Boeshield and wax as before. If there is a bit of rust I use WD-40 and steel wool to take it off first. Those usually appear on the part of the table closest to the blade which gets the most use.

On my old TS I got from craigslist there was quite a bit of surface rust and I ended up using WD-40 and an old ROS to take it off.

Comment

Working...