• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andrew.r.w
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Canada.

Removing Silicone Lubricant

Can anyone tell me how to safely remove silicone spray lubricant from rubber, metal, plastic, etc.?

I had my treadmill serviced, and the guy sprayed a lot of silicone lube on the deck beneath the belt in an effort to fix a squeak. The deck is impregnated with some long-lasting lubricant and does not require silicone. In fact, the belt slips on the drive roller now, and it is very annoying.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Andrew
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I would first try plain rubbing alcohol (isopropyl). If that doesn't work, lacquer thinner should do the trick. Careful, though, lacquer thinner could melt some plastics.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

when we used silicone oil on O-rings for optical connectors, contamination of the optics was a problem. We could reliably clean the silicone oil with Freon-based solvents but those have been made illegal to use for ozone-depletion reasons. We had to resort to alcohol but that was much poorer in disolving the oil and had to be repeated a few times.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jaybee
        Established Member
        • Feb 2006
        • Regina, SK, Canada
        • BT3100-1

You mean freon tp-35 is illegal That means that I have to deny having any And avoid using it to clean the things that can't be reliably cleaned with anything else

Nah!!

I'll just keep the stash I don't have hidden from casual view

Comment

• tuttlejr
          Established Member
          • Aug 2003
          • LAKEWAY, TX, USA.

Suppliers to Paint and Body shops have a product that removes oil, wax, grease and silicone from surfaces. When I was an RM Paint jobber, the product was called Pre-Kleano. It was made from a blend of solvents. In a pinch, mineral spirits might work. You have to keep changing the paper towels to prevent reinfecting what you are working on.
          Bob Tuttle

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

Originally posted by jaybee
            You mean freon tp-35 is illegal That means that I have to deny having any And avoid using it to clean the things that can't be reliably cleaned with anything else

Nah!!

I'll just keep the stash I don't have hidden from casual view
            Don't forget to not use the stash you don't have....

g.
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...