• Show
Clear All
  • Sweet Willy
    Established Member
    • May 2011
    • Near Chattanooga, TN
    • ridgid 3650

diff between segmented and continuous saw blades

I'm looking to buy a new blade for my miter saw (you really don't want to know why). What I can't figure out or find info on is the difference between a "continuous" and a "segmented" blade for woodwork. I saw plenty of info on diamond and tile blades that was no help to me at all. Is one better than the other? If so, in what way?
    Thanks.
    In my old age I look back and realize how lucky I was to live in a time when common sense was common.
    Dennis

Sweet Willy
    sigpic
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

????? never heard of those options for a woodworking circular sawblade. I think they refer to tile or stone cutting blades.

just buy a Freud brand 60 or 80 tooth woodworking blade for crosscutting and you should be set. They will all have carbide teeth not diamond teeth.

any of these saying miter saw or crosscutting should be a good choice:

look at the ones that say miter saw and/or crosscutting or cutoff in their title and have 60 or 80 teeth.

I just did a search on amazon for 10-inch miter saw blade Freud to get that list.

here's a link describing diamond segmented and continuous rim blades. - Like I thought, not for woodworking.

Which type of rim to choose: A continuous smooth rim provides the smoothest cut in ceramic tiles
    and ornamental stone. Continuous castellated rim blades or super-jointed segments may produce slight chipping
    but generally have a longer life and lower cost per cut than continuous rim blades. Segmented blades provide
    the longest life and lowest cost per cut but are only suitable for work where chipping is not a problem.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-26-2012, 08:07 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Are you referring to blades that have separated groups of teeth versus continuous circumferential teeth?

Comment

• Sweet Willy
        Established Member
        • May 2011
        • Near Chattanooga, TN
        • ridgid 3650

Here are two links for two different blades I chose at random. If you scroll down and choose "specifications", look at the right side column for "rim type". This one (http://www.lowes.com/pd_96541-70-DW3...des&facetInfo=) says segmented.

This one, however, say continuous (http://www.lowes.com/pd_103025-10314...des&facetInfo=).

Just wondering what the difference is for blades cutting wood. I understand the difference with blades used to cut tile, etc.
        Thanks
        In my old age I look back and realize how lucky I was to live in a time when common sense was common.
        Dennis

Sweet Willy
        sigpic

Comment

• Skaning
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2010

Just a quick heads up. Miter and Ras blades should be made with a slight negative hook to the teeth. That's a piece of info that is usually not included in any sales pitch at the retail level.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Consider the source of the links... Lowes It's likely a misnomer.
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Yeah, I'm thinking their marketing department hasn't had too much experience with their own product...

Comment

Working...