Air Wrench / Impact Driver for Lawn Mower Blade Removal?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Hook
    Established Member
    • Apr 2005
    • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

Air Wrench / Impact Driver for Lawn Mower Blade Removal?

I am looking for some advice on selecting a tool to make it easy to remove a lawn mover blade. As I have gotten older, my strength is not what it used to be and I struggle remove the blade when the bolt is put on too tight.

I recently purchased a 1/4" Milwaulkee Impact driver which is just great for driving screws & bolts. Big imporvement over a cordless drill. I like the torque this tool provides, but I am not sure how well it will work for removing the lawn mower blade.

I am wondering if an air wrench like this would be a better tool.

I like the shape of this tool for getting under the lawn mover without having to turn the mover on its side. Will an air wrench like this provide sufficent torque to remove the bolt? I have never used an air wrench.

Or do I really need an air powered torque wrench - somethng like this?

What do you use / what would you recommend?
  • SheriffPopeCo
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2005
    • Golconda, Illinois, USA.

My advise. Look around find a impact tool 1/2" or larger
    that has 600ft lbs of torque. This would probably be able
    to take lug nut off a car also. The little torque wrench
    has only 50-60 ftlbs of torque. I use mine the same way
    you want(lawn mower blades etc..).

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

Save your money!!! Use the impact driver you already have. Check out the spec's, I'll be willing to bet it has more than enough torque to do the job. It might even have enough to torque the head off the bolt. At the very least try it first!!!
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

the air wrench will just end up spinning the blade and motor around.
        You need an impact tool or you will have to supply the manual counter-torque to the blade and motor.

The impact tools will pop the bolt with short rapid bursts of energy that will let the inertia of the blade and motor keep it from turning.

I don't think the bolts on the lawnmower are that big (can use with 3/8" socket sets), probably your electric impact driver will work if you have socket adapters for it. Try it anyway.

I don't think you need to torque the bolt excessively when putting it back on, it has a hub that engages the blade to keep it from spinning and the bolt should have a lock washer IIRC (been a while - I have someone doing my lawn now).
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• onedash
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Maryland
          • Craftsman 22124

my craftsman air rachet works great for stuff like that. It still turns in tiny increments like an impact gun so stuff that normally requires brute force to hold still (like a lawnmower blade) when you use a wrench you dont any more. So almost any time I need to remove a bolt like that thats what I grab. Wheels on a grinder is another one its great for.
          YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Is the problem the typical one, where the blade wants to turn why you are trying to loosen the bolt?

If so, just go to Lowes.com and search Item # 188341
            Model # BB-100 blade buster. I use that and a either a breaker bar, or one of my 1/2" flex head ratchets. Since they saw me using it at the garage, I always get asked if it can be borrowed.
            Not sure if this will take directly to it if Lowes allows:

Air ratchets, typically still need the bolt broke loose, and if you have to turn it over enough for an impact wrench, you might as well turn it over.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

as has already been mentioned; I'd give your cordless a try, they can be amazingly strong. air rachets have very little torque.
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

Along with many other tools I have a 3/8" dr Blue Point air ratchet. Blue Point is a Snap-On value brand. For breaking fasteners loose it is next to worthless if any torque is needed, the same is true of tightening. To remove my John Deere's blades I use ] this ratchet 15" 1/2" dr which gives me plenty of leverage. Before I replace the blade bolts I coat them with anti-sieze which seems to keep them from becoming too hard to remove.
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Uncle Hook
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2005
                  • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

Originally posted by TheRic
                  Save your money!!! Use the impact driver you already have. Check out the spec's, I'll be willing to bet it has more than enough torque to do the job. It might even have enough to torque the head off the bolt. At the very least try it first!!!
                  I checked the specs and I was surprized to learn that my little Milwaulkee 1/4" Impact Driver has a Torque rating of 740 in.-lbs. I thought the tool would be unsized / underpowered for the job, but I going to give it a try before I do anything else.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and suggestions.

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

In the past I've had problems with powered tools torqueing the heads or rounding off bolts/screws etc. I prefer to back out stuck bolts the old-fashioned way - a longer handle on my wrenches. that way I can feel if it is not moving like it should.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Perfidiajoe
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Copiague, New York, USA.

As someone who has done this many hundred times, take my advise. First & I can not say this enough REMOVE, & GROUND the spark plug wire. Next wedge a 2x4 between the blade & frame, so the blade can't turn. Then with 1/2" drive breaker bar, & socket, With a piece of pipe for an extention if needed, remove nut or bolt. No or little expense this way. If you would like a new tool get the impact wrench for this, you can also use it for tires on your car. Air ratchet, though a good & useful tool is not for this. The last thing you want is to have a loose blade on a lawn mower, after reinstall. Even if you do get the impact gun follow the steps I gave you to prevent accidently starting the engine in either direction. Good Luck, Joe
                      Last edited by Perfidiajoe; 01-23-2007, 07:16 PM.
                      It's got to be us, because there are a lot more of them!

Comment

• Cheeky
                        • Nov 2006
                        • westchester cty, new york
                        • Ridgid TS2400LS

I've come up with something in my days working in a bicycle shop to extend the leverage of a regular ratchet.

I put an old, yet straight, handlebar on the handle of the ratchet, and bolts come loose without any problems whatsoever.

Give it a shot, I can guarantee it will work and you'll save a hundred bucks or so.

You can go to a bike shop, and they will probably have old bars around for free if you ask nicely.

If you do decide to go with the impact wrench, pay heed to the power and make sure your grip is secure.....they can snap your wrist in an instant.
                        Last edited by Cheeky; 01-23-2007, 06:47 PM.
                        Pete

Comment

• Perfidiajoe
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004

Not to be disrespectful, but you shouldn't put extentions on a ratchet, as all the presure is on the ratchet pawl, & you may get away with doing it that way but if it skips you break the ratchet & possibly get hurt. IMHO, Joe

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by Perfidiajoe
                            Not to be disrespectful, but you shouldn't put extentions on a ratchet, as all the presure is on the ratchet pawl, & you may get away with doing it that way but if it skips you break the ratchet & possibly get hurt. IMHO, Joe
                            That's why I still buy Craftsman hand tools. No questions asked and there is always nearby if a tool fails. Normally will use a breaker bar for this but there are times when you can't get enoug 'swing' and have to go with a ratchet.

I have the metal handle from an old mop wringer in my tool box for when I need a bit more leverage. There is also an old MC fork tube in the corner when some major grunt is needed! Try breaking loose bolts on the frame of a 42 year old truck.
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

• Perfidiajoe
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004

Who cares about the ratchet, but I've grown attached to my hands. & I break them loose on earth movers
                              Last edited by Perfidiajoe; 01-23-2007, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Working...