• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Routing a 2" Deep Mortise?

I need to rout a mortise that is 2" deep. The max I can go with my 690 and spiral bit is 1". I did a search and saw some bits in the $80-$100 range that might reach, but I am not going to pay that much.

Any suggestions before I use the DP and a chisel (ugh) to finish the remaining 1"?
    Joe
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Yeah, there are straight bits that will go down to 3", but they are pricey. 2" deep eh, pretty big tenon going into that. You could rip the stock to 2" wide, route from either side, then glue the falloff back on.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• allen
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2005
      • Florida.

Mortise depth is a real problem with a router. That is why I am looking at buying a seperate mortiser. I hate to spend the money but over the long run I think that it would be worth it. Looking at the Woodtec 1HP.

I know that this is no help but just wanted you to know that you are not alone.

Allen

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by allen
        Mortise depth is a real problem with a router. That is why I am looking at buying a seperate mortiser. I hate to spend the money but over the long run I think that it would be worth it. Looking at the Woodtec 1HP.

I know that this is no help but just wanted you to know that you are not alone.

Allen
        Yeah, most mortisers cut to about 4" max, a real advantage.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• just4funsies
          • Dec 2005
          • Florida.
          • BT3000

HF has a stand-alone mortiser that goes on sale from time to time at $99. If you've got a 20% off coupon, then it's $79. It's good enough for most non-pro jobs. There are also add-on mortiser kits for some drill presses, but most cost more than the HF stand-alone.
          ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• bigsteel15
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2006
            • Edmonton, AB
            • Ryobi BT3100

If you go buy a 1/2" end mill (for steel) of the 4 flute variety, I think you'll get very close to your 2" depth. Any supply store that sells to machine shops should have them for around $30-40.
            Be VERY careful!!! Big & Sharp!!
            Brian

Welcome to the school of life
            Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

How wide is your mortise? Whiteside, CMT, and probably others make straight bits with 2" long cutters and about a 3-1/2" overall length, for like ~$20-22. The catch is that I think they're 1/2" diameter and up.
              Larry

Comment

• zootroy
                Established Member
                • Oct 2005
                • Coeur D\'Alene, Idaho.

You could get the rest of the depth with a forstner bit at the drill press.

Comment

• Thom2
                  Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Stevens, PA, USA.
                  • Craftsman 22124

Am I the only one that would rip the piece in half and use a dado set and then glue-up??? (I guess I'm assuming this is a through-mortise, altho' I can't see any other reason that it would need to be 2" deep)

I don't have a mortiser, but a 2" mortise sounds killer to me. I don't have a router bit that long either nor am I sure I'd want to use one if I did, at least for mortising anyway. (call me paranoid).

Maybe I'm just

or off my rocker
                  If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                  **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

It's no doubt a monster of a mortise. If it were a through mortise, it could be done by going 1" down from each direction, referencing from the same face. I agree though that a 2" mortise would be mighty scary.

I have a project in my future where I'll be doing a 3" deep dado with a router, 1.5" from either side, that'll be plenty scary enough for me, thanks.
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

• allen
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Florida.

I do not find that a 2" deep mortise is all that strange. I suppose that it depends on what you are building. The chart that I use (I would have to do some research as to where I got it) shows a tenon length for 1 3/4" thick material as 2", for 2" - 2 1/4", for 2 1/4" - 2 3/4" and for 2 1/2" - 3". Works for me, especially when I need it to be real strong.

Allen

Comment

• LarryG
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2004
                        • Off The Back
                        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by allen
                        I do not find that a 2" deep mortise is all that strange.
                        Nor do I. If you do it with a router, you do it a 1/4" at a time, per usual good practice, and the fact the last 1/4" pass is at the bottom of a 1-3/4" well is moot as long as the bit isn't unusually slender and therefore flexy. That's why I asked about the thickness of the matching tenon. There are sufficiently long straight bits available to make these cuts; the mfrs wouldn't offer them if they were inherently unsafe.
                        Larry

Comment

• drumpriest
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                          • Powermatic PM 2000

Larry, I agree that a 2" tenon in 8/4 is probably pretty typical. I think the worry from some on this thread is that he was trying to do a 1/4" 2" deep mortise, but you wouldn't do that for in 8/4 stock. You should be in the 1/2" range, at which point longer bits are available and would be unlikely to break.
                          Keith Z. Leonard
                          Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...