DIY tree stump removal, drill bit getting caught?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

DIY tree stump removal, drill bit getting caught?

I think I know the answer here but I wanted to ask...

Last year, when Hurricane Ike came through, I lost 5 trees on my property. I have been looking for a reasonable means to remove the stumps, and the one that keeps popping up from friends and neighbors is a product called Stump Out. I read the instructions, and have helped a neighbor with his after the stump out did its thing on an oak stump, and it was like chopping out balsa wood after it did its thing. Nice and easy...

I am trying to prep one stump, a 12" diameter Beech stump, per the MFG directions, which is to drill a 1" diameter hole 12" deep.

I am trying to use my Irwin Speed Bor Max boring bit and extension for the job, and it mostly works okay...

But it seems like I have to barely touch the hole, and back the bit out to clear the sawdust or the bit gets jammed in the hole and I need to back the bit out...

Is there a better bit that I can use that will eject material from the hole better?

The rest of the stumps are MUCH smaller, with the next largest stump 4" diameter Chinaberry junk that is actually in the Bayou but keeps trying to grow accross and on to my property...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

no direct experience with it but maybe an auger type bit would help eject the cuttings while drilling - the speedbor MAX is one of those flat spade bits that won't really eject cuttings.

Like these augers from Lee valley:
    Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.

the text says they are excellent for softwoods and green woods.
    only problem is the 18" long one costs $31

Irwin makes a SPEEDBOR SHIP AUGER 1" Dia x 17" long

also $30.43 at Amazon.

Another:

there are shorter ones for cheaper but they won't bring the cuttings all the way to the top!

So, how much are you saving by DIY?
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-25-2009, 09:31 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Stump Out takes forever. A quicker way is to go get some heavy mesh wire. Make a cage around the stump that is 2-3" bigger than the stump all the way around and several inches higher. Fill it with charcoal. Light the charcoal. Refill as necessary and in 24hrs or so your stump is gone. You can help speed things up even further by drilling several 1/2 or 3/4" holes in the stump and pouring in some diesel. Wait till it soaks in, do it again a few more times. If you are in a neighborhood though I would just stick with the charcoal. I dig a trench around the stump and clear out combustible materials and then I try to keep the trench damp.

I have a Rigid auger bit with bigger flutes than my Irwin auger that does a better job of clearing chips.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• rnelson0
        Established Member
        • Feb 2008
        • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
        • Firestorm FS2500TS

You definitely want an auger bit. The paddle bits are best used horizontally or for overhead vertical because they do not move the chips out.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

The reason for the Stump out is that burning is not required. (But does make for a lot less chopping and digging of porous debris)...

This stumps roots run under a wooden fence, and are generally where clearing out combustibles is not going to be an easy task...

I have time, I can wait for the chemical action to work...

The Speed Bor is a flat blade spade bit sure, the Speed Bor Max which is what I am using, is a wierd exaggerated something between a twist drill, and an auger bit.

I hadn't thought of grabbing an auger bit (there is a reason I ask these things here!).

I found a Hitachi 1 inch x 22 inch auger bit on Amazon, yeah it's not cheap, but it's a LOT cheaper than getting a tree service to dig this thing up...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN

So, how much are you saving by DIY?
            Lowest quote I got for stump removal for all 5 is $750.00 so DIY is worth the effort...

Comment

• Mr__Bill
              Veteran Member
              • May 2007
              • Tacoma, WA
              • BT3000

The wood is wet and so it clogs.

I drill lots of small holes, I happen to have a long small bit. I then slowly fill the holes with something flammable, like Colman fuel from a rusted bottom can or last years mower gas or, used lacquer thinner. Then I let is seep in and repeat. stand back and light, if lucky it will burn. Then just fill the hole every spring for years after.

Bill, over here where it's still morning

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

I figured you'd be using that badass truck and ripping them out of the ground.

An auger bit should help with the holes.
                Erik

Comment

• DaveS
                  • May 2003
                  • Minneapolis,MN

Originally posted by dbhost
                  Lowest quote I got for stump removal for all 5 is $750.00 so DIY is worth the effort...
                  My local rental place rents a stump grinder for $100 a day.

I'm not sure I'd try it, that machine scares the begezus out of me. It looks like some sort of machine from the movie "Road Warrior".

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Where do you get stump out? How much does it cost? I have a bush that I need to rip out, and the last one I did took forever/ is taking forever to get the stump out....

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Lowes has the 1" x 17" Irwin auger a bit cheaper than amazon, but internet only so you will have to pay shipping and tax... amazon has free shipping on the irwin for $30+change and no tax. Subtract it from the $750 you'll save and that's the amount ($720) you can now spend on other new tools...
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-25-2009, 10:27 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• iceman61
                        • Oct 2007
                        • West TN
                        • Bosch 4100-09

While the Irwin Speed Bor Max you are using IS an auger bit, the flights only go back a couple of inches so after that depth, it won't be able to eject the chips out of the hole. Those bits are work horses when drilling thick wood even with an extention, if you can keep the chips vacated. Once that screw on the end gets started in the wood, mine have always been hard to stop unless I take my finger off the drill trigger.

You could try periodically blowing compressed air down into the hole to vacate the chips but....your problem seems to be wet or green wood. Not sure what to do there about drilling the hole but the diesel/charcoal application as some have suggested works great, but I have seen even that not work from time to time. Good luck!

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

I removed two large stumps with charcoal briquets. One of the stumps was near my fence with roots running underneath. Once the stump was obliterated to ashes, the roots just rotted away. The first burning dried the stump and the second did the number.

Comment

• crokett
                            The Full Monte
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Mebane, NC, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

I'm still with Mike. Burn it out. You will be left with a hole in the ground. with roots maybe still attached. The roots will just rot away. You only need to clear combustibles off the surface. I've burned out 4 so far. This fall when I drop a few more trees that have died I will have a bit more burning to do but it really is fast and cheap - about 8 bucks per stump.
                            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
                              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by cabinetman
                              I removed two large stumps with charcoal briquets. One of the stumps was near my fence with roots running underneath. Once the stump was obliterated to ashes, the roots just rotted away. The first burning dried the stump and the second did the number.

I forgot to add that once the initial flames from the starter die down to burning embers, there isn't much smoke. Not much more than from a BBQ grill.

Comment

Working...