• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • distilledred
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • Granada Hills, CA, USA.

Jewelry Tray Lift/Support

I have made it to the part of my jewelry box project where I am ready to install a jewelry tray. I would like to have one that uses a lift/support so that it lifts out with the lid. I bought the hinge that rockler sells (here", however it appears that this hinge is incompatible to my particular box for a few reasons. The lid on my box has a 1.5" tall lip as it were, such that there is a 1.5" recess "inside" the lid. I would like the jewelry tray to sit inside this recess when the box is closed, so that the complete depth of the box itself can be used for storage (if the jewelry tray was lowered back into the box, I would lose some of that space). Furthermore I would like to have the tray sit as far back inside the lid recess as possible when the box is open, allowing for most of the inside of the box to be seen. The reason for this is that the box is only about 5.5" deep (front to back), and 3.25" tall.

I have played around with different positions and orientations of the rockler hinge, but I just can't get it to accomplish these tasks. The tray support "shelf" either drops way to low to support the tray, or the top pin would need to float on the tray itself, allowing it to go from the top of the tray to the bottom of the tray, and maybe even a little forward to back... and even then I am not sure it would work, nevermind being very impractical. I have only seen one other tray lift method, and it was in a Jewelry Box book I saw at rockler. It involved two arms; however I cannot quite recall exactly how it worked, and I can't seem to apply to my case with any kind of success.

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

I hope this can be followed, perhaps even someone has faced this issue, if not, I will try to draw some kind of sketch or something... when I figure out how, ha. Thanks!
    Last edited by distilledred; 05-25-2006, 04:54 PM.
    -Aaron

\"Tis through no fault of Magus that Lavos lives.\"
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

Try this link.

The plans include a "lift" tray for the box so maybe you could adapt it to work with your box.
    DonHo
    Don

Comment

• distilledred
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2006
      • Granada Hills, CA, USA.

I should be able to make that work... I hope. Thank you.
      -Aaron

\"Tis through no fault of Magus that Lavos lives.\"

Comment

Working...