• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Room allowances for drawer slides?

Dumb question, but how much room should I leave for drawer slides? I sort of figure I would need to match the drawer to the slides being used and the cabinet in question... I should be starting the Miter Saw / Mortising / storage station next weekend, and am planning on the cabinet base having drawers to stash the stuff that is losing its home, and better use of the available volume. Not to mention practice building cabinets with drawers... No face frame here though. I am planning on going frameless with the drawer faces covering the hole, going for a sort of cube look I guess...

The slides I was looking at were the 22" 100lb rated ball bearing full extension soft close from Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/Liberty/h_d...&storeId=10051

Hopefully those are a good choice. Soft close isn't a hard requirement, but it would be nice to not have drawers slamming on me.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

These slides will save you some bucks and are equal to any of the full extension slides.

Typically, each side clearance it's recommended to allow 1/2" + 1/32"...IOW, 17/32".

The total opening should be 1" plus a 1/16"...IOW, 17/16"

Or, whatever the dimension is suggested that comes with the slide.

Comment

• T...K21
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2012
      • Southern Idaho
      • BT3100

Depends on the drawer glides you purchase. I think the regular white ones at HD or Lowes is 5/8" each side.

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by T...K21
        Depends on the drawer glides you purchase. I think the regular white ones at HD or Lowes is 5/8" each side.
        Do you have a link for those showing the clearance specs. That sounds like an awful lot.

Comment

• Eric
          • Jun 2003
          • Cocolalla, ID
          • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

The slides I've used from HD were 1/2" per Side, so 1" narrower than opening. Think the 1/16" extra that cabinet man suggested would make things work a bit better.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Cool... Yeah the slides I linked to are in stock, so there is no S&H to deal with, and have the soft close feature to go along with that ball bearing construction. That is something I was wanting.

The idea behind the new cabinets is to provide sufficient storage space for everything that is presently in the totes, but in drawers instead. I will have an open shelf on the bottom to hold my routers so I can get them off of overhead storage, and then it's accessories storage time. I am considering a single tiered storage drawer for my router bits and accessories, and then one for table saw blades and accessories etc... Those will get moved when the workstation gets done, but for now this is as good a place as any... I want to make the drawers deep enough that my hand held power tools can eventually get all stashed away in here, along with some of the bulkier supplies, and have room to spare for simply extra stuff. The cabinet that will hold the mortiser in front of the compressor will need shelving sized such that I can stash cans of paint, including spray paint. I might just have to make some paint caddies for that...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by dbhost
              Cool... Yeah the slides I linked to are in stock, so there is no S&H to deal with, and have the soft close feature to go along with that ball bearing construction. That is something I was wanting.
              How many slides do you need?

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Total of 16. The BORG slides are a 2 pack, so that would be 8 packs... They work out a dollar more per slide that the ones you linked, but no shipping, plus they give me the soft close. Or are the ones you link 2 packs?
                Last edited by dbhost; 07-02-2012, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Working...