• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Filling gaps in plywood floor??

My shop has 3/4" PT plywood for floor. For whatever reason, the contractor left gaps between each piece, 1/8" to 1/4" wide. Probably because this part of the house is in the 100 yr floor plain. Anyhow, there are 8 joints about 20' long that I want to fill in.

I have covered the gaps with duct tape but it is wearing out and I want to make a more permenant fix. I used one tube of caulk and it did not go too far. It may take another 15-20 tubes to finish.

I do have access to the floor underneath so I can put duct tape or 1/4" ply to close the gap. I am just looking for something that could be used to fill the gaps.

Right now, I can't find any large tubes of caulk, just the 10.1 oz tubes and cheapest is about $2/ea.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Ken
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

Tommy on Ask TOH filled gaps in a 100 yr old floor with rope.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

what's the purpose of filling the gaps?
      Dust and dirt trap?
      Wheels go clunk, clunk when you move tools around?
      Visual?

Don't they have some liquid, self-levelling stuff for filling driveway cracks?
      Use that plus the rope?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I think I'd do rope plus bondo. Although not sure how flexible bondo is when cured. Not sure how much that flooring is gonna move.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Thom2
          Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
          • Jan 2003
          • Stevens, PA, USA.
          • Craftsman 22124

perhaps the joint compound used for leveling floors and filling gaps prior to installing vinyl flooring would work??? .... IIRC, when I did my kitchen floor, a box of this stuff was pretty cheap and would go quite a long way.
          If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
          **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• lago
            Established Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Lago Vista, TX.

I was thinking of using something to reduce the space and then fill in with caulk. I didn't think about using rope but that is a good idea.

The duct tape ('guy tape' as LOML calls it) is showing wear & tear. I need to keep the gaps closed to keep sawdust, SMALL parts, and stuff from falling thru. One of these days I might want to also paint the floor.

Ken

Comment

• ivwshane
              Established Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Sacramento CA

What about expanding foam?

Comment

• jhart
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

There's a product called "Water Putty", I believe, that can be found in big box and hardware stores, that used for leveling floors, filling cracks, etc. I would think that it would work well for this purpose. I have used it numerous times for leveling under new flooring. Comes in various sized cans and not that expensive.
                Joe
                "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

Working...