X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • final_t
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003

Festool Sabre Saw closeout @ McFeely's

On their front page, but might be worth mentioning here. If I just haven't purchased a new one last winter I'd get this. Supposed to make really accurate cuts, with no flexing of the blades (basically, it puts in guide blocks like a good bandsaw has).
    Regular price: $250.00 - Sale price: $159.00.
  • Tamarack
    Established Member
    • Oct 2003
    • Speedwell, TN USA
    • BT3100

Probably dropped the price because of difficulty competing with the new Bosch.

Paul

Comment

• final_t
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003

quote:Originally posted by Tamarack
      Probably dropped the price because of difficulty competing with the new Bosch.
      This would be the 1590EVSK, right?

Comment

• jstevens
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Ardmore, PA, USA.

quote:Originally posted by final_t

Supposed to make really accurate cuts, with no flexing of the blades (basically, it puts in guide blocks like a good bandsaw has).
        Regular price: $250.00 - Sale price: $159.00.
        I bought a demo model of the PS2E jigsaw from Festool a coupla months ago for ~ $130. That model has less power than saws with a lower standard retail price (draws ~4A vs. ~6A for the competition) and the dust collection system only collects about half of the sawdust. Changing the blade and angle of the cut requires use of a hex key, as compared to many others which don't. It has a positive stop only for the 90 degree blade angle, and I find it very difficult to set the blade to other angles with any degree of accuracy (the shoe tends to move out of adjustment as you tighten the bolt).

If you check Festool's web site under the "product reviews" page, you'll find a Popular Woodworking article that compares a number of jigsaws, including Festool's new model, the Trion. Although the article pegs the Trion as an "editor's choice," I have a hard time understanding why, considering the features of some of the other models.

If I had to spend $159 for the Festool PS2E, I'd probably save up another $15 and go for the Milwaukee 6276-21 instead, or maybe the D-handle version, which is even less expensive. Even at the price of $130, thought long and hard about returning it during the 30-day money-back trial period, but on balance I figured the saw was adequate for my occasional needs, and the price was right.

At the same time I got the jigsaw, I also bought demo models of Festool's OF1000E Plus router and CT11E dust collector. They're good tools, but I don't think they're any better than high-quality tools like Porter-Cable...and in view of their high retail prices, I don't think they're a comparatively good value unless you're getting them on sale. Based on my experiences with these tools, I really have to question the objectivity of the internet reviewers who praise Festool so highly.

Comment

• Tamarack
          Established Member
          • Oct 2003
          • Speedwell, TN USA
          • BT3100

Yes, final t, that's the one. I'm hoping they'll release a barrel grip version soon, then my skil POS can go to a yard sale. That new Bosch design looks like it is head and shoulders above all the rest--has anyone in this forum used one yet?

Paul

Comment

Working...