X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbilbrey
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2006

Sears Radial Arm Saw

I have an opportunity to purchase a Craftsman Radial Arm Saw model 113 23100. Guy says it still has original blade and shows no wear. But he also says it "looks to him like it has no wear" which begs the question - Where did he get it from? Two questions:

1. Is this a good saw?
    2. What would be a fair price?

Thanks,
    Sam
  • just4funsies
    • Dec 2005
    • Florida.
    • BT3000

I have an early Craftsman RAS (with the digital readouts) which has not let me down... ever. I don't know if it is the same saw as your model, but I wouldn't be concerned about reliability, although you should have the owner demo it before you deal. As for price, that's subjective, since there aren't that many RAS's floating around to establish a reference. I'd suggest you consider how much you need it vs. how much you can afford vs. cost for a similar new unit, and haggle from there. It never hurts to walk away if the price seems too high. This way, you give the owner a chance to come down, and you can always change your mind if he doesn't.
    ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Recall Notice

I put that model number, 113.23100 into the search engine at http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/faq.htm and it says there is no safety kit availiable. This could be because it already has one installed. Do you know when the unit was made? Just be aware of this issue.

Also, could a Sliding Compound Miter Saw better fit your needs? Amazon has a well regarded Makita SCMS right now for $300. Seems to me that SCMS would be more accurate, much wider range of use, better DC, etc.
      Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 04-28-2006, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• Thom2
        Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
        • Jan 2003
        • Stevens, PA, USA.
        • Craftsman 22124

I have the same RAS as j4f, I gave $150 for it a few years back. The guy I bought it from bought it to build a fence and deck and that was it. He was getting rid of it because it was in his way and he'd never use it again since the fence/deck was done. Since I bought it, I researched and found out it was eligible for the recall (www.radialarmsawrecall.com) and received a new guard assembly as well as new tabletop for free.

I often see Craftsman RAS's in this area for $50-$150, I personally wouldn't spend any more than $150, even if it's in pristine condition. There's just too many of them out there to be had for cheap money (at least around here).
        If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
        **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• sbilbrey
          Forum Newbie
          • Apr 2006

More information

I talked to the guy on the phone some more, here is what I got:

He got the saw in a trade from a guy who got it as part of his grandfathers estate.

He says the guy was pretty sure it had never been used.

He says the shaft (?) was rusty, he fixed that(?), and has had the saw running, but has no use for it.

It does not have a table.

Questions:

- Would it have had a table when it came from Sears? Or is this an indication it has never been used because it does not have a table?

- Other than the fact that the saw works and slides, what else should I be checking about this saw?

Thanks for your help,
          Sam

Comment

• vanguard
            Established Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Brighton, MI, USA.
            • Ridgid TS2400SL

Most RAS tables are sacrificial. So $10 of MDF/particle board should square that away. Most used RAS units around here seem to go for about $100. The one's I see on craigslist listed over that, seem to stay around and around and around.

I recently picked up a Dewalt Super-900 for $100 and have been very pleased. I'm not sure a SCMS would be any more accurate than it is. It would be more portable though.

Comment

• Popeye
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Woodbine, Ga
              • Grizzly 1023SL

I paid $50 for an old one, got the new table and guard on the safety recall Thom mentioned. Wouldn't trade it.
              Best cross cut saw I've ever had. Nothing tops it for doing dado's <12".
              Pat
              Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• meika123
                • Dec 2002
                • Advance, NC, USA.
                • BT3000

Originally posted by Popeye
                Wouldn't trade it.
                Best cross cut saw I've ever had. Nothing tops it for doing dado's <12".
                Pat
                Exactly why I would love to have one.

Dave in NC
                Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• jangus
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2005

Indispensable

I gave $75 for a Ryobi 10" RAS, and wouldn't let it go now. Way to versatile around my shop.

Comment

• just4funsies
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Florida.
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by Thom2
                    I have the same RAS as j4f, I gave $150 for it a few years back. The guy I bought it from bought it to build a fence and deck and that was it. He was getting rid of it because it was in his way and he'd never use it again since the fence/deck was done. Since I bought it, I researched and found out it was eligible for the recall (www.radialarmsawrecall.com) and received a new guard assembly as well as new tabletop for free.
                    Thom, I don't have the upgraded guard, but I don't use the saw for ripping. In the crosscut mode, I have a tall fence, with only a small slot where the blade slides through the fence into the work. Does your updated guard look like it would work with such a fence WITHOUT cutting a bigger (huge) hole in the fence for the whole guard contraption to move through? Also, I don't see anything in the link about a new tabletop. Did you ask for one, or did they just send it on their own?
                    ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• thiggy
                      Established Member
                      • Sep 2003
                      • Alabama.
                      • Craftsman Contractor

More important than the table, does it have the two screw clamps that hold the back stop against the table?
                      SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• sbilbrey
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Apr 2006

Thiggy,

Could you elaborate? What/where are these & how would I recognize them?

Thanks,
                        Sam

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                          • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by sbilbrey
                          Thiggy,

Could you elaborate? What/where are these & how would I recognize them?

Thanks,
                          Sam
                          On the back side of my table there are 2 screw type clamps that tighten the fence against the back of the table. Look for something like mini vise handles (2) that operate the same way.
                          Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• cwsmith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

I have an earlier model Craftsman RAS which I purchased new in early 1973 or 74. It is my favorite tool and I wouldn't sell it for anything. A few months ago I purchased the same model from a friend for $60 which I intend to use for parts. While some parts are still available from Sears, others like the motor, yoke, etc. are not.)

I can still buy the table from Sears for $45 (I bought a new one two years ago). For my particular model, it was worth the money as it requires routing out an area, boring a couple of holes, etc. and I didn't want to mess with it at the time.

Actually my old table would have been in excellent condition if it had not been for water damage, suffered during a winter leak. Just goes to show that even in storage, one needs to check the tools often. The thing you need to do whether you make or buy your table is to put a 1/4" sacrificial cover on it, right from the beginning. It's much easier to replace the cover every so often.

So, if some parts are still available for my old 73', surely you should be able to get parts for a much newer model I would think. Regarding the "safety guard", that refers to an automatically retractable guard protecting the user from the lower part of the blade. Original designs did not have this, but thank to carelessness, misunderstanding of usage, and a few lawyers, all RAS's were required to have these devices... I believe beginning in the early 90's. Manufacturer's were also required to recall or retrofit any older units. This device is not availble for my particular model and, for me, it wasn't worth the $100 they offered if I returned the motor and yoke assembly to them.

As far as being a good tool for the shop, I couldn't imagine not having it. Like I said, it is my favorite tool.

CWS
                            Last edited by cwsmith; 04-28-2006, 10:50 PM.
                            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• coach
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2005
                              • Forney, TX.
                              • Powermatic 66

Originally posted by Jim Boyd
                              On the back side of my table there are 2 screw type clamps that tighten the fence against the back of the table. Look for something like mini vise handles (2) that operate the same way.

If anyone needs these, I have an original set and the mounting rails they attach to.
                              If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Working...