• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RAV2
    Established Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Massachusetts

Cummins Tools - what is going on?

Cummins Tools - formerly cumminstools.com now comes up as ToolsNow.com.

Cummins was like Harbor Freight and ran a lot of truck sales. A buddy said the latest mailing and truck sale references something about "liquidation sale."

If you look at the style of the web site, it is like the previous one. Also some of the tools look to still display "Cummins" on the sides.

Is this a case where the company has changed the name in order to get out of the "lifetime guarantee" offers from the previously named tools?

What is the story?
    Last edited by RAV2; 05-29-2008, 11:55 AM. Reason: Typo
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Interesting. toolsnow.com has an 'about us' page that sneaks this line in the middle:

TAP, TOOLSNOW.COM, and Bob Cummins Ent. is not affiliated with Cummins Inc.

But at the very bottom of the page is this:

Secure Shopping On-Line with SSL 128-bit encryption for your Shopping Safety verified by THAWTE
    © Copyright 2003-2006 Cummins Industrial Tools All Rights Reserved

Who's zoomin' who here?
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by BobSch
      Interesting. toolsnow.com has an 'about us' page that sneaks this line in the middle:

TAP, TOOLSNOW.COM, and Bob Cummins Ent. is not affiliated with Cummins Inc.

But at the very bottom of the page is this:

Secure Shopping On-Line with SSL 128-bit encryption for your Shopping Safety verified by THAWTE
      © Copyright 2003-2006 Cummins Industrial Tools All Rights Reserved

Who's zoomin' who here?
      Unless I'm mistaken, which has happened... Cummins Inc. makes diesel engines. Cummins Industrial Tools is a tool retailer that is also the factory outlet for Ryobi recon's.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

From a little google snooping I have found that TAP Enterprises is the main company, Cummings Tools was a DBA of TAP Ent. couldn't find anything about Cummins Tools closing up.
        Cummins Inc. is a diesel engine manufacturer.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• 5thgeartools
          Handtools only
          • Nov 2007

Yeah, I've spoke with them before and they just changed their name. I think there was confusion with the Cummins Diesel Engines and Cummins Industrial Tools brands.

Comment

• RAV2
            Established Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Massachusetts

Stopped at the truck sale today.

Asked about the name change thing.

Apparently Cummins Tools (truck sales) has sold the Cummins Tools name to the Cummins (engines) company - possibly so that they can now offer a line of tools.

TAP - as previously mentioned - has several other tool names that they use and they are transitioning from the Cummins Tools name to others

Comment

• billwmeyer
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Weir, Ks, USA.
              • BT3000

From what I gathered at a previous truck sale, Cummins tools lost the right to the Cummins trademark via a court order, and had to liquidate any tools with the Cummins tool name. I almost always go to their sales, but usually buy very little.

Bill
              "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• cobra423

Cummins Tools

The court order is sort of correct. A law suit was filed against Cummins Tools by Cummins Diesel Engines for using there name in the operation of a business. Unfortunately, Cummins Tools lost even though the owners last name is Cummins. Most of the stores, and maybe all, are now named National Liquidators. They ended up having to liquidate all of the tools with Cummins on them which is OK because those tools were crap. They are now carrying more brand name toos and have some great deals on them. It's turned into a great shop.

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

The last time I went to one of their truck sales it seemed most of the stuff worth having was recons at near retail price. At most of that was either Ridgid or DeWalt. Very little Ryobi cordless.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• RAFlorida
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Not trying to hijack this thread, but

there's a website offering coupons for ToolsNow.com. Here's the link if interested:
                    Discount Tools Now coupons for deep discounts online. Browse AllOnlineCoupons.com for ToolsNow.com coupons, Tools Now coupon codes, discount promotion code offers and bargains.

Comment

Working...