• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickR
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2004
    • Brantford, Ontario, Canada.

Delta 28-269 BS

I have a line on a 28-269 Delta band saw. Vendor says this is a Delta "Industrial" model. Although "used" he says it has never been used. I've Google'd the model number and can find no information at all. Only thing I get at the Delta site is a parts list for 28-270 "White" version. Is it the same saw with a different colour? I have no experience with BS's and would like some help/advice before I buy.

Is the 28-269 a good machine and is it in fact an "Industrial"model, which apparently is made in the US and presumably better quality? How can I tell if it is the Industrial version?

Comes with a mobile stand and Accuaquare fence.

Anyone out there have one and can comment?

Thanks, Rick
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

quote:Originally posted by RickR

How can I tell if it is the Industrial version?
    I can't help a lot because I don't know anything about that particular bandsaw, but can give you a couple clues that may help:

"Industrial" is the word Delta applies to its better, professional quality tools to distinguish them from their lower-cost, consumer-grade "Shopmaster" line. I have seen a few tools that include the word "Industrial" as part of the label/logo, but many do not. OTOH the "Shopmaster" series virtually always has this word on the tool, right below the Delta name. Where it gets complicated is that the foregoing applies to the US but not necessarily to other countries. My 22-580 thickness planer is part of the "Industrial" series in the US, but the Spanish portion of the three-language owner's manual opens with a photograph of the exact same planer with a "Shopmaster" label on it.

A more telling clue is the model number. Delta's better tools use an all-numbers system (28-269 for your bandsaw candidate, 22-580 for my planer, 36-255L for my CMS, etc) whereas the "Shopmaster" series uses an alphanumeric system in which a two-letter prefix indicates the type of tool ... BS for bandsaws, TS for table saws, TP for thickness planers, etc.

So I think it's pretty likely that the bandsaw in question is one of their better-grade models.
    Larry

Comment

• RickR
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2004

Thanks for the information Larry,it is an interesting read. I just went downstairs and looked at my 22-580 and it is labelled as "Delta". I have the shaper router as well and it is labelled "Delta Shopmaster" model #SH-100, so what you are saying makes sense. I asked on WoodNet forum as well and it appears this saw is in fact the American made version. I was aware that "Industrial" may or may not appear on the machine, but did not know about the different model numbers.

I'm going to look at it Thursday evening and will let you know how I make out.

Thanks for taking the time, Rick

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a line on a 28-269 Delta band saw. Vendor says this is a Delta "Industrial" model. Although "used" he says it has never been used. I've Google'd the model number and can find no information at all. Only thing I get at the Delta site is a parts list for 28-270 "White" version. Is it the same saw with a different colour? I have no experience with BS's and would like some help/advice before I buy.

Is the 28-269 a good machine and is it in fact an "Industrial"model, which apparently is made in the US and presumably better quality? How can I tell if it is the Industrial version?

Comes with a mobile stand and Accuaquare fence.

Anyone out there have one and can comment?

Thanks, Rick
        If you put in 28-269 for parts list is give you one titles 28-269,28-270 but no where in the doc does it say 28-270.
        If you search for a manual, you put in 28-270 or 28-269, it returns the manual for the 28-280.

So it must be very closely related to the 28-280.
        Which must be a discontinued 14" closed stand
        Manual is dated 1996.
        Try calling delta's technical hotline 1-800-223-7278

Googling gives us this link:

the owners has it for sale for $600 and he says its a white anniversary edition 14" saw. date was July 2003

Looks like it would be a fine saw. Has bolts in the vertical section for a riser block, I think from the 28-280 manual picture.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RickR
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2004

Well guys it is the white version all right. Absolutely mint condition with a Delta mobile base and a Mulcab Accusquare fence brand new in it's box. The fence is is $129.00 US on Mulecab's site today.

The saw is in my basement for $750.00 Canadian. I think I did all right, what do you guys think?

Thanks for the help, Rick

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Well guys it is the white version all right. Absolutely mint condition with a Delta mobile base and a Mulcab Accusquare fence brand new in it's box. The fence is is $129.00 US on Mulecab's site today.

The saw is in my basement for $750.00 Canadian. I think I did all right, what do you guys think?

Thanks for the help, Rick
            yeah, sounds like a good deal. Probably the equivalent new would set you back at least 700 or 800 US, about 1000+ loonies.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...