• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Hook
    Established Member
    • Apr 2005
    • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

Height for Bench Top Drill Press Stand

I want to build a stand for my bench top drill press. I am uncertain how high to make the stand. I am looking for help in establishing a comfortable working height and suggestions regarding the distance between the the bottom of the drill press chuck and the floor.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

generally bench top drill presses are made to be set upon a bench. So 30 to 36" high - table top height. If you make it too high you will have trouble changing speeds and reaching up for the quill. If you make it too low it will be hard on your back because you bed over to see. You want the drilling to take place in front of your face just a bit below or else you'll have to bend over to see what you're doing.

basically the height of the supplied column is fixed, and the drill chuck is part of the head that goes onthe column so its height is fixed. Gnereally your drill will meet the work about 2-4" below the chuck and the chuck will extend 2-4" down from its resting point. So all this is fixed heights so that's why it needs to be on a bench-height stand.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-05-2010, 12:23 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

I have the Ryobi DP120 on a stand. I would have to measure to tell you the exact height, but the hub for the handles is just below shoulder height.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DP Cabinet.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	785411

Click image for larger version

Name:	DP Storage.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	785412
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• conwaygolfer
        Established Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Conway, SC.
        • BT3000

My drill press is sitting on a bench that is 33 in. high. The bottom of the chuck is 57 in. from the floor. That places it at my chin level. Makes for a good viewing area for someone my height. (5"8"). If you are taller or shorter, I would keep that in mind.

Pappy - what are the two sliding? pieces on the sides of your cabinet used for? And by the way - it looks very nice.

Thanks,
        Conwaygolfer

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by conwaygolfer
          My drill press is sitting on a bench that is 33 in. high. The bottom of the chuck is 57 in. from the floor. That places it at my chin level. Makes for a good viewing area for someone my height. (5"8"). If you are taller or shorter, I would keep that in mind.

Pappy - what are the two sliding? pieces on the sides of your cabinet used for? And by the way - it looks very nice.

Thanks,
          Conwaygolfer
          The two sliding pieces are supports for long pieces.
          They can be raised so the upper edge matches the height of the DP table.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-05-2010, 10:49 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Hook
            Established Member
            • Apr 2005
            • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

Pappy,

Thanks for posting a picture of your drill press stand. That's what I have in mind. I would love to know the height, width and depth of your stand.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

I wil measure it in the morning and post them.

The sliding panels are what Loring said. In addition to the slots for the knobs, there is a groove in the back of each panel that slides over a piece of MHMW to aid in alignment. I have wood 'caps' to go on the aluminum angle at the top, just never have installed them.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Mine is similar to Pappys, but not quite as tall. It was made out of a sheet of 3/4" MDF core melamine from Lowes.

The base is 18x24x24, with casters the top of the base is 28-1/2". The quill ended up at 50" and the center of the handles is at 56". I have some height limitations in my shop, so it couldn't get too much taller. I intended to do some side supports like Pappy's, but I opted to make a larger table.

I intended on mounting the press base at the rear so I could turn it to work on tall pieces, but it got a little tippy. That was before I added the full extension drawers and all my hole making tools. It might be ok now, but I still like the press forward (in the middle). If it was back I would probably be hitting my knees a lot more often. I very rarely ever need to work on anything that won't fit this benchtop press.
                Attached Files
                Erik

Comment

Working...