• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinht
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • North Andover, MA, USA.

Removing Bandsaw Wheel

I need to remove the upper wheel of my Grizzly bandsaw. I believe it is friction fitted on a bearing. I can't seem to muscle it out and either need a tool or any ideas to get the wheel off. I know there is a tool for this but forgot the name of it. I'd rather not have to buy something just to pull off the wheel though.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Vinh
    A Woodworker\'s Journey
    http://vinht.home.comcast.net
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

My Grizzly G0555 is at home, and I'm not, but without looking I'd guess that you're going to need some variant of a hub or pulley puller:

Got any friends who are auto mechanics, either as a vocation or an avocation? They would almost certainly have what you need. The trick will be finding one with the right provisions to grab onto the bandsaw wheel somehow.
    Larry

Comment

• rbfunk
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Garfield, NJ, USA.

Vinh,
      There is a tool called a wheel puller or pulley puller. I think this is what you are looking for. It's 2 or 3 armsconnected to a threaded shaft. The arms hook behind the wheel and then you turn the shaft to press against the axel thus pulling the wheel from the back. You might have to check an automotive store to find one.
      Good luck
      Bob
      Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we are all hopped up on caffine.

Comment

• dkhoward
        • Dec 2003
        • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
        • bt3000

Some of the national chair auto stores offer free tool use. Check around and see if one of them won't lend you a puller for a couple of hours.
        Dennis K Howard
        www.geocities.com/dennishoward
        "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • SoCal, USA
          • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

I had to remove the bearing on my BMW K1 motorcycle and the service manual instructed to heat the rim since aluminum has a larger coefficent of expansion than steel and will allow removal of the bearing. I soaked the wheel in boiling water and used a heat gun. DONOT hit against the inner race or you will damage the bearing. HF has a bearing punch to allow you to hit the outer race or you can use a socket. You need to support the wheel as not to bend it,maybe another larger socket or PVC fitting on the opposite side. I have used PVC fittings and the are good if you can find the right size. Auto parts store have many bearing sizes and can probably you can you use a loaner tool too.

I reread your post and I was describing how to remove the bearing. Tou may need a pulley type remover to get the wheel off.
          Andrew

Comment

• vinht
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004

Thanks guys. Grizzly actually sells this puller that may work and is relatively cheap. Not sure if it will work for the bandsaw wheel though. I need to order a new bearing for the upper wheel so I may just get this puller if Grizzly tells me it will work. They're not open today so I'll have to wait until Monday to find out.

My free bandsaw gloat is turning into a nightmare! [V]

Vinh
            A Woodworker\'s Journey

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
              • BT3100

I may have missed it in another thread, but is the saw unusable as you got it? I remember you said it vibrated a little but it sounded like it was still usable...

Harbor freight has some pulley pullers as well, I remember you were thinking of placing an order a week or so ago, and you can get free shipping over $50...

-Tim

Comment

• Scottydont
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Edmonds, WA, USA.
                • Delta Industrial Hybrid

How about calling Grizzly first? If the wheel is cast if my be fragile to that kind of force. Most likely will need a puller of some type.
                Scott
                "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• vinht
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2004

quote:Originally posted by tfischer

I may have missed it in another thread, but is the saw unusable as you got it? I remember you said it vibrated a little but it sounded like it was still usable...
                  Tim,

When I first got the saw and tuned it the saw was working fairly well. Had some wobble to the blade but I was able to cut with it. Being the type to get something perfect I had to fiddle with it some more to see if I could get it cutting better. Well, sadly, I made it worse.

So far I have spent $30 on a lower wheel and now am considering buying a puller and some bearings for the upper wheel. I think after making additional adjustments to the saw I had tighten the nut holding the upper wheel to tight. It eventually ruined the upper bearing and now the saw is not even functional. If I decide to do this I'll end up spending a total of about $50 and am not sure if I will have a better functioning saw than when I first received it! Hopefully, if none of this works I'll be able to return the lower wheel.

quote:Originally posted by S.Muth

How about calling Grizzly first? If the wheel is cast if my be fragile to that kind of force. Most likely will need a puller of some type.
                  Smuth,

I plan on calling Grizzly first thing Monday morning. They were not open today due to a tent sale, at least that's what the recording said. And they are closed Sunday.

Vinh
                  A Woodworker\'s Journey

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by vinht

quote:Originally posted by tfischer

Tim,

When I first got the saw and tuned it the saw was working fairly well. Had some wobble to the blade but I was able to cut with it. Being the type to get something perfect I had to fiddle with it some more to see if I could get it cutting better. Well, sadly, I made it worse.

So far I have spent $30 on a lower wheel and now am considering buying a puller and some bearings for the upper wheel. I think after making additional adjustments to the saw I had tighten the nut holding the upper wheel to tight. It eventually ruined the upper bearing and now the saw is not even functional. If I decide to do this I'll end up spending a total of about $50 and am not sure if I will have a better functioning saw than when I first received it! Hopefully, if none of this works I'll be able to return the lower wheel.

Smuth,

I plan on calling Grizzly first thing Monday morning. They were not open today due to a tent sale, at least that's what the recording said. And they are closed Sunday.

Vinh
                    Sounds like a fair to middling poker hand that went bad after the first raise.
                    Maybe its time to throw this hand in before putting too much (time and money) in the pot.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• vinht
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2004

quote:Originally posted by LCHIEN

Sounds like a fair to middling poker hand that went bad after the first raise.
                      Maybe its time to throw this hand in before putting too much (time and money) in the pot.
                      I hear ya Loring. I'm raising one more time to see what the turn has in store for me before I fold! Guess I just don't know when to quit. On the bright side, I have learn quite a bit about how bandsaws work.

Vinh
                      A Woodworker\'s Journey

Comment

• Scottydont
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Edmonds, WA, USA.
                        • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Hey Vinh, any progress? I can't sleep.

That's a good point Loring. There's a crude but effective saying, "You can chrome a turd, but it's still a turd".
                        Scott
                        "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• vinht
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2004

Hey Vinh, any progress? I can't sleep.

That's a good point Loring. There's a crude but effective saying, "You can chrome a turd, but it's still a turd".
                          I'll find out in 3-5 business days. Ordered the puller from Grizzly along with two bearings. So far my "chrome turd" has cost me $55! [:0] I'll be returning the lower wheel if this does not work though in which case I got a lemon for about $25. I suppose I could return the puller as well but I figure it's a handy tool to have around.

Vinh
                          A Woodworker\'s Journey

Comment

• vinht
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2004

Time to retract my gloat. Would that be a regloat? A gloot? Glut?

Anyway,

To make the long story short. I was able to remove the upper wheel using a puller but then had to get the bearing off the wheel. Grizzly said it should be a simple tap of a punch. Unfortunately, that was not the case. It was in there good! So I decided to use the puller and managed to move the bearing a little bit but eventually broke one of the spokes from the upper wheel. After all this happened I started thinking how I would have actually reinstalled the new bearings and the upperwheel. With such a tight fit I'm guessing I would have needed yet another tool. Well, I won't have to worry about that now.

In the end I'll be out about $25. Oh well, live and learn.

UPDATE:
                            By the way, Grizzly charges a 10% restocking fee of returned items and does not pay for shipping it back to them! Having this bandsaw in working condition for as little as I did made me realize I want a bandsaw. It's a very useful tool for the type of projects I do. Guess the bandsaw just moved up on my priority list.

Vinh
                            A Woodworker\'s Journey

Comment

Working...