• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • docrowan
    • Mar 2007
    • New Albany, MS
    • BT3100

Skil X Shop Table Saw Model # 3700-01

Okay, guys. I know this is "dark side" stuff, but I haven't found a BT3100 so far and the Craftsman 21829 is out of my budget range right now. There's a Skil X Shop available used "never been turned on" for $225.00 relatively near by. I have a 12 X 20 shop, I'm a occasional weekend wood wrecker, so flexibility and compactness are important to me, which is what attracted me to the BT3100 in the first place. Does anyone have any experience with one of these? By the way, the Skil is on Craig's List at http://jackson.craigslist.org/for/285526297.html

Thanks in advance for any input.
    - Chris.
  • steve-u
    Established Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Bartlett, Ill.
    • Ryobi BT 3100

I remember seeing it in Lowes a couple years ago as an all in one workshop and did not think all that much of it but have never used one. You might want to check out the Hitachi portable table saws such as in the link below. If you can find anything you like at Lowes [including the Hitachis] they are 15 percent off through tomorrow. Good luck.

Steve

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

Skil X Shop?

I don't personally have any experience with that saw, have only seen it on display at lowe's or wherever it was I was at that day (can't remember).

I looked it over and thought to myself that the idea of an all in one type of shop might be a workable idea for someone with limited space,budget,etc.
      I already had my BT3100 and wasn't interested in buying right then.

I think that if you are just starting out in woodworking (small projects,
      minor improvements around the house and such), this saw will probably
      give you a good starting point to refrence from later as your abilities,skills
      needs all progress. Don't expect 6 months or a year down the road for this
      size of saw to be able to do everything you need or want,you will quickly
      find out it's limitations and quirks and have to be ingenious about ways to work with and around them to accomplish the tasks at hand!

If you buy this saw, be sure and get an owners manual no matter what...
      it is very important to have it, read, understand and follow their recommendations on set-up, maintenance, and safety precautions, etc.
      they are their to protect you and instruct you. If you follow these and other safety related guidelines, you will be a lot safer, happier and have
      fewer headaches down the road! Remember this...the most dangerous tool
      that you have in the shop....is the one you are using RIGHT NOW!

If you do these things that I made refrence to...I think the saw will be a good
      entry level one for you...get it enjoy it and make some sawdust.
      Hope this helps with you decision....eezlock

Comment

• RodKirby
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

IMHO -

Multi-purpose machines sound good, look good and are a giant PITA from a "practical use" point of view - except for the most occasional use.
        Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by RodKirby
          IMHO -

Multi-purpose machines sound good, look good and are a giant PITA from a "practical use" point of view - except for the most occasional use.
          I'll agree with my friend Rod.

Even the BT3x with the "built-in" Router table is only good for beginner's usage, as good in some ways as it is.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

I had a cheap $89 benchtop saw that looked almost exactly like the xshop. The xshop was a LOT more, and had options which only added to the cost, and yet didn't improve the small table or poor fence (particularly the poor fence).

If you ended up with something like this, I would QUICKLY look at Norm's portable tablesaw extension table from a few years back.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• timb
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2007
              • Northern CA, USA
              • Craftsman 21829

Comment

• timb
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2007
                • Northern CA, USA
                • Craftsman 21829

I have no experience with the X Shop and I agree with the comments made so far but assuming it's in good working order it could be good for you. It really depends on what you want to do with it. If you occasionally have a need to cut or route or sand or drill with a bit more precision than a hand tool can provide then you will have the capability and smaller projects around the house will be much easier. Could be very useful.

But if you intend to do larger or more complex projects or are a stickler for dead on accuracy you will get frustrated with its limitations very quickly.

You could always get it and sell it one once you have a better idea what you need and/or have more budget.

It's sometimes useful to have a particular project in mind when you buy a tool since that way at least you have a reality check on whether you are under buying or overbuying for what you need to do. To give an extreme example - don't even think about cutting up a 4X8 on that thing.

tim

Comment

• docrowan
                  • Mar 2007
                  • New Albany, MS
                  • BT3100

Okay, you guys have convinced me. I've just got BT3x00 table saw fever. LOML just came to me and said "We're getting a tax refund, just go on and buy the one you want." Unfortunately I'm the budget keeper and a Dave Ramsey man (financial guru and radio talk show host) and I can't bring myself to pay list for the 21829. Plus, I figure I'm spending an extra $100 for the mobile base that I will never even assemble. I plan to build my own mobile base - I've got the HF $89 special on homemade mobile base now. If I sell the Craftsman mobile base, I doubt I can get my money's worth out of it.

The HF was damaged during my most recent move, plus after I ran a bunch of 1/4 inch hardboard through it, it won't run for more than 2 minutes. Not sure if it overheats or enough of the hardboard dust got into the motor to damage the brushes.

I found a Sears Craftsman 21825 for $70 in the Memphis area. If I can talk the guy down to $50, I may have a temporary replacement for the HF. From what I can tell the 21825 will be a definite step up from the HF, even though I'm not keen on the t slot miter gauge. Anyway, if I finally run across a BT3100, I figure I can sell the 21825 for a profit.

Thanks for the input. I really enjoy this forum.
                  - Chris.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

I think you should keep looking, or NOT have the expectations to make money on that Craftsman benchtop saw (21825). At least in my parts (and from what I have seen on other boards), some old arn Craftsman USA made Emerson contractors saws go for between $75 and $150 on average. They have a lot more oomph then those direct drive benchtop saws, and hold their value better. In my parts, a benchtop saw, will bring around $30.

I would wait and look for one of those. Have you joined the Craftsman club (21829 goes on sale occasionally)? What type of projects do you do? You might also look at a guided circular saw system. Just some more options.

There was a stand that went on Ebay, about 8 months ago, in Texas. I stopped watching it, when it got up around $150.
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Chris - if you read and really appreciate and understand the comments on why we like the BT3 saws then you will probably be sorely disappointed by anything less.

Most of those inexpensive benchtop saws are really way step down from the BT3. I had one, got rid of it when i got the BT3. Really a BIG difference.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cheeky
                        • Nov 2006
                        • westchester cty, new york
                        • Ridgid TS2400LS

Originally posted by docrowan
                        Okay, guys. I know this is "dark side" stuff, but I haven't found a BT3100 so far and the Craftsman 21829 is out of my budget range right now. There's a Skil X Shop available used "never been turned on" for $225.00 relatively near by. I have a 12 X 20 shop, I'm a occasional weekend wood wrecker, so flexibility and compactness are important to me, which is what attracted me to the BT3100 in the first place. Does anyone have any experience with one of these? By the way, the Skil is on Craig's List at http://jackson.craigslist.org/for/285526297.html

Thanks in advance for any input.
                        how about the Ridgid TS2400LS? If you buy today, and have a coupon, you can get it for $449-$75(Instant Rebate)=374-10%=$336.60 (plus tax of course)

this is just an option in case you can't find the venerable bt3
                        Pete

Comment

Working...