Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Made Router Lift Plans

Shop Made Router Lift Plans

I'm thinking about building a Router lift, rather than buy one new. The mechanism seems quite simple. There were plans in American Wood Worker magazine No. 106 (March 2004), but I don't have that issue. If anyone has it and would be willing to send me the article I'd really appreciate it!

Anyway, there is also a guy on eBay selling plans:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Porter-Cable-753...QQcmdZViewItem
    But these are for Porter cable only, and I'm not sure I want to spend $10 on some plans that might not suit my needs...

Does anyone else have any ideas or experiences in building a Router Lift? Thanks in advance for any insight!

I am sure you have this info but in case you don't.

You can check to see if they have that issue:

Some of our past issues are still available for $5.00 each.
    Call (715) 246-4344 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central, Monday through Friday, for availability and ordering, or write to:

Back Issues
    American Woodworker
    Box 83695
    Stillwater, MN 55083-0695.

I recall seeing a magazine article where a router lift was made using a pipe clamp fixture. The fixed end of the pipe was screwed into a flange fitting attached to the bottom side of the router table. The clamping end had a small platform attached to it, designed to hold the router upside-down. The concept was slick, but I suspect that keeping the bit perpendicular to the table would be difficult.

Here's another idea:
    http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...cles_637.shtml

Good luck!
    Bill

Did you see the one that niki made and posted in another recent thread?

Thanks for all the replies so far - good ideas! I just found the thread by niki and it is also an interesting idea. The woodcentral plan looks good too. I'm not certain which route I'll take but I might keep trying to find the American Woodworker plan as well because I am curious to see how they did it. If anyone else finds anything, please let me know - these are great ideas and they are helping me form a concept of how I'm going to do all this!

I was thinking about building a router lift also. I saw the AW plans and they said it would be about $90 for parts to build the list. I ended up getting a Jessem FX for about $130. I couldn't see spending that much time to save such little money on a lift.

I know I have a copy of the AW around somewhere. I'll try to dig it up for you.

Bill

Send me your email addy

I've been looking for the thread that Niki started referenced above, not seeing it. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

kim
    Measure it with a micrometer...
    Mark it with a crayon...
    Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher

Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... http://www.bt3central.com/articles/l...p?ArticleId=85

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Thanks ED62!
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Thread Information