X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Router table - wolfcraft?

I'm new to woodworking so I don't know all the brands yet. Is Wolfcraft a good brand? I bought a Wolfcraft 540 router table at a garage sale for $20. I think that's the model name, I couldn't find the model # on the table (but it looks just like the pic below). That a good price or did I buy a HF type knock off?

It looks like the pic below. But it's missing that yellow block thing on the top right of the pic. Is that just some sort of stop? If not what is it?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

its an inexpensive brand, similar in quality level to what you'd get from Vermont American.

There's no picture but some of those inexpensive router tables have a pusher that rides along the fence top for backing up taller or vertical items being pushed to the bit. Maybe that's what the (unseen) yellow thing is?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

oops sorry about that. here's the pic.

Here's a link to a larger image of the same pic.

http://www.wolfcraft.com/images/phot...erTable540.jpg
      Attached Files
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

It looks nearly identical to the old Craftsman Professional that my father has. He still uses his, although I am building a bigger one, and then he is going to follow (wants to see my idea's).

You will find it small, when you start raising panels and such, but for general use, and to help build a bigger one, my opinion, is if it gets you the skills, it was more then worth the $20. On another note, you should be able to get that back out, when you decide you want a bigger one.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I have that exact router table and I (over) paid $100 for it. I'd say it's worth about what you paid for it. It works marginally well but actually it's not very user friendly at all. I've never been able to adjust the two wings at either end of the table so that they are flat with the main table and believe me I've tried. The placement of the screws that mount these two wings are what makes the assembly and adjustment of these wing difficult. I hope the one you bought is assemble and that the original owner was able to get the wings to sit on the same plain as the main table. The rounded style knobs that secure the fence to the table are also uncomfortable to operate. For $20 you did OK but I can almost guarantee you that this will not be your last router table.

Comment

• jhart
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

The missing "push thing" can be used for a stop or it can also be used to stand up a piece of wood and hold it steady. example would be making a tennon.

Looks very close to a Craftsman. If its set up square, it works ok. Had one for a number of years.
            Joe
            "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I started with a similar Craftsman table. It worked but I didn't keep it too long, as I didn't find it to be accurate enough. I used the fence on my first shop made RT.

For $20 you're not out much even if it doesn't work out for you. The switch and fence are worth $20.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• onedash
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2005
                • Maryland
                • Craftsman 22124

I had the craftsman version. It was ok for doing light stuff but I eventually tossed it. Got the mdf craftsman (dirt cheap after I seen it on here)and that wasn't to much better. Neither could do raised panels (to small of an opening). Then I got my Jessem.
                YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• jziegler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Salem, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I have that same table, got it on clearance for around $40 or so, I think. The yellow thing is intended to be a pusher like has been said. It can ride along the fence. I used it once and then figured out other ways to do the same cut I needed.

The table is alright, but nothing special. It has handled my making flat panel cabinet doors with only a minimum of my cursing it. The clear blade guard is weak, and mine broke off, which makes dust collection somewhat worse. The miter gauge is pretty bad.

Use it, find out what you like and don't like, then build a better one (which I want to do in the future).

Jim

Comment

Working...