What brand blade is in your TS right now?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

What brand blade is in your TS right now?

What brand blade is presently in your saw?
    Forrest
    18.41%
    Freud
    48.72%
    Infinity
    0.70%
    Ridge Carbide
    4.43%
    DeWalt
    3.03%
    Systimatic
    0.70%
    CMT
    0.70%
    Amana
    0.70%
    Delta
    3.26%
    Hitachi
    1.63%
    Irwin
    3.03%
    Other
    14.69%
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

Current go to is Ridge Carbide TS2000 combo. What is *actually* in my saw right now is Freud TK 24t rip blade.

Comment

• JSCOOK
      • Sep 2006
      • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Hmmm ... Tenryu ... soon to be a Ridge Carbide TS2000 TK ...
      "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

original Freud made Ryobi blade. But I think it's about in need of sharpening.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Originally posted by Russianwolf
          Me too! Except mine's recently sharpened.

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• gary
            • May 2004
            • Versailles, KY, USA.

Leitz 24T Thin Kerf Rip blade. This blade cuts as smooth as my 80T Freud blade. Absolutely amazing
            Gary

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Originally posted by Russianwolf

I have several Freud blades (thanks to a damaged freight store). Seems to me only ONE of them had a piece of paper in it, though I can't find it now. Does anyone have Freud's sharpening address? Or just skip them and go directly to Forrest?

Thanks
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                I have several Freud blades (thanks to a damaged freight store). Seems to me only ONE of them had a piece of paper in it, though I can't find it now. Does anyone have Freud's sharpening address? Or just skip them and go directly to Forrest?

Thanks
                I was unaware that Freud even had a resharpening service. Forrest, Ridge Carbide, or Scott Whiting have excellent reputations.

Originally posted by gary
                Leitz 24T Thin Kerf Rip blade. This blade cuts as smooth as my 80T Freud blade. Absolutely amazing
                Hi Gary - I've got a couple of those Leitz 24T rippers and think they're as good as any ripper I've tried ($10 each makes them legal to steal!), but something had to have been wrong with that 80T Freud to get comparably smooth cuts from these two blades. On a side note, I ganged 3 of those rippers together to make an 11/32" x 2-3/8" deep grove in 25 linear feet of QSWO and got nice results. I also determined that my 22124 is not underpowered, but if there was ever a time when 3hp would have been handy, that was it...it was the most grueling cuts to date for any of my saws. .

=========

To all - I expected that Freud would be the most popular brand, especially in light of the fact that they formerly made the original Ryobi blade, but I didn't anticipate it being by such a wide margin. I'm also surprised that Ridge Carbide is as popular here as it is...excellent blade IMHO (Holbren's got them for $72 shipped thru today I believe ("FD20").

Too bad the survey would only allow 12 choices. I'm curious what the "other" category includes. I suspect there are some Tenryu onwers out there...in hind sight, I wished I'd included it asa choice over Systimatic, CMT, or Amana. Any of you "other" owners care to elaborate? (...Bosch, Oldham, Leitz, Delta, PC, B&D, Craftsman, Vermont American, Ridgid? {...which is really a Freud}...)
                Last edited by Knottscott; 06-17-2007, 06:08 AM.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Cody.h
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                  • BT3100

I clicked other so I'll elaborate. I guess its been a couple of years ago now Amazon was giving away the Avenger blades and I got the 6" dado set and the 3 piece 10" set. I had been using the original freud blade for a long time but a tooth broken off so went to the 50 tooth avenger. I like it just fine but think the original was better. I've been savin my pennies for a forrest but might have to jump on Brian's father's day deal.

Hey Gary....where do you get the Leitz 24T Thin Kerf Rip blade from???
                  The truth is just the truth.

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

I have a Freud TK303 that I bought for it's thin kerf. It tends to stay in the BT most of the time.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

I clicked "Other". I just set-up my BT3100-1 earlier this year and actually haven't put that much wood with it yet. My BT was fitted with the "chinese" look-alike to (what I have read) what was a "Freud" blade.

It actually makes a pretty nice cut, so far. When I start building the new fireplace surround (mantal, side cabinets, etc.), I probably go with a Freud blade that would be designed for such a project. (Don't know the blade model number yet.)

CWS
                      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• mschrank
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2004
                        • Hood River, OR, USA.
                        • BT3000

With these poll results, seems Freud ought to give us a discount
                        Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• LarryG
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2004
                          • Off The Back
                          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I'm not familiar with the Other brand of blades, but I may have to try one since they seem to be the third-most popular behind Forrest and Freud.

Lately I've noticed a number of references to the Ridge TS2000. Has this blade been redesigned recently? Fine Woodworking tested a batch of blades a while back, using highly scientific and non-subjective methods, and the TS2000 was a very average, middle-of-the-pack performer.
                          Larry

Comment

• crokett
                            The Full Monte
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Mebane, NC, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Mine is a Porter-Cable Razor variable tooth. Its made by somebody else (Oldham I think) but it has the Porter Cable name on it. A very nice blade.
                            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• JSCOOK
                              • Sep 2006
                              • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                              • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by Dustmight
                              I'm curious what the "other" category includes. Any of you "other" owners care to elaborate?
                              Tenryu Rapid Cut ... or at least it was until today ... my Ridge Carbide TS2000 has just showed up in the mail from Holbren.
                              "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...