• Show
Clear All
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Attention Menards Shoppers(Performax)

I have been looking at the Performax Belt/Disc Sander that Menards handles. I was wondering if anyone has purchased this sander and what their opinion of it was. It seems like a very solid and well built product from looking at the one on the display rack. Although there was plenty of info out their about the Performax line of drum sanders, I searched the Internet and couldn't find anything about the Performax line of benchtop tools.
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Dave,
    Some months ago there was a lo of talk about WMH dumping the Performax name and branding that line with the Jet name. IIRC the Performax line of bench tools is/will be a low end line, not connected with WMH. Visiting http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com shows no mention of Performax any longer.
    Here's a thread on WN about this http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...fpart=all&vc=1

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Thanks for the link Ken. I found most of the responses in that thread to be very general in nature but helpful. I'm in the market for a small belt/disc sand and was actually rather impressed with the fit and finish of the Performax model I looked at. Functionality could well be another issue altogether though. I've looked at the Tool Shop version(junk) and also the Harbor Freight version(also junk) and of the three this one definitely stands out as a better built unit.

I'm hoping someone here has actually bought one and can shed some light on how well it actually works. This will be a tool that won't see a whole lot of use so I can't justify spending a bunch of money on one. Used sanders like these are almost unheard of around here.

Comment

• messmaker
        Veteran Member
        • May 2004
        • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
        • Ridgid 2424

This may or may not be helpful. I have a Tradesman. My neighbor has a Ryobi and F.I.L. has a Harbor Freight. They all work. I think the best of the bunch my be sold by Sears. They did have one for less than $150 that had some cast iron and looked like it might last forever. I am sorry I can't help you with the Performax.
        spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

It's times like these when I realize why I usually opt out for the more expensive brand name tool when making a new tool purchase. You can't beat quality control.

This morning I happened to be at a different Menards than the one I was at when I looked at the Performax sander. As long as I was there I decided to have a closer look at this unit. Talk about night and day! As much as I tried, I couldn't get the disc table to align with the disc at a 90° angle. Every time I tried the table would rub against the disc. The mechanism to raise and lower the belt arm was so stiff I thought it might be broken.

I'm going to pass on this sander mainly because I know that if I buy one, the one in the box that I pick off the shelf will be like the one I saw today and not like the one at the other Menards. I'll have to take a look at the one at Sears that messmaker mentioned.

Comment

• bthere
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Alpharetta, GA

[QUOTE=sweensdv;296404]
            This morning I happened to be at a different Menards than the one I was at when I looked at the Performax sander. As long as I was there I decided to have a closer look at this unit. Talk about night and day! As much as I tried, I couldn't get the disc table to align with the disc at a 90° angle. Every time I tried the table would rub against the disc. The mechanism to raise and lower the belt arm was so stiff I thought it might be broken.

QUOTE]

I had a belt/disk sander from Delta that came preassembled and had disk to table interference. The only issue with it was that the disk wasn't installed far enough onto the shaft. A couple of minutes of work with a hex wrench and everything was fine. I did later on add some Loctite to the screw since it would periodically loosen and let the disk wander on the shaft a bit. That was about 6 years ago with no problem since.

Comment

• BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Might be a dumb question, but have you tried seeing if you can get the Delta deal at Lowes? I was able to pick up one for $50... And you really can't argue with the quality.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Liberty, SC, USA.
                • Ridgid TS3650

I have the Ryobi belt/disk benchtop. Other than being loud which I guess all are, it does what I need. The DC is surprisingly effective too.

Comment

• sweensdv
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • WI
                  • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                  Might be a dumb question, but have you tried seeing if you can get the Delta deal at Lowes? I was able to pick up one for $50... And you really can't argue with the quality.
                  Closest Lowes is in Milwaukee. That would be a 150 mile round trip for me. One of these days Lowes will wake up and come to town, this is the state capital after all.

Comment

Working...