Thread: how to use a lathe to center-drill a dowel

how to use a lathe to center-drill a dowel

Like the title says, how would I use a lathe to center drill a dowel?

I remember a few folks saying that using a lathe would be the way to go if I really want dead-center accuracy

I know absolutely nothing about lathes beyond that they spin stuff 'round an axis, and that something called a tail stock can move back and forth along a set of guides

I am looking at the HF lathe, or a grizzly lathe, something small and bench top

the only other thing that I might be turning is a top piece for my flag poles
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

I plan on using my lathe to do just that tonight.

You'll need a chuck with jas small enough to clamp down on the dowel. Chuck up the dowel, then put a drill chuck in your tailstock and use that to drill out the dowel.

Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    If the hole to be drilled is longer than your longest drill bit, you'll need a hollow tailstock (opposite end to the drive), through which you can pass an auger. This method is good, but not faultless and - if you're not careful - you can blow through the side. Best practice is to drill halfway from each end.

Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.

avoid the HF benchtop model. Not so good reveiws.

The Grizzleys are okay if you get the one that's a JET/PSI clone or better. The lower level ones aren't worth it.

As Far as drilling on the lathe, what was mentioned above. I did the process just last night on some pen blanks and couldn't be happier.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Russianwolf View Post
    I did the process just last night on some pen blanks and couldn't be happier.

YEah, too bad I picked up that Rockler vise. I think I'm hooked on lathe drilling...

rockler vise?

okay gents I have a small space and a small budget, what is a good lathe that I won't be cussing at?
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

how small a budget? New, you're looking at a minimum of $150-175. Used, depends on what you can find.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Thread Information