Does crown molding have a top and bottom?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Does crown molding have a top and bottom?

I'm about to install this crown molding from Wall Lumber.

My wife actually prefers it with the bulge on the bottom rather than on top
    like in the picture. Is there a practical or aesthetic reason to install it as
    shown or should I just listen to her?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Last edited by atgcpaul; 08-19-2008, 08:50 AM.
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
    ... My wife actually prefers it with the bulge on the bottom rather than on top like in the picture. Is there a practical or aesthetic reason to install it as shown ...
    No clue

... should I just listen to her? ...
    If she is like my wife YES!!

Personally I would install it how I (we) want it to look. We have to put up with seeing it everyday.

Edit: After taking a double look at the picture, would there be a valley / dust trap / bug trap /etc if turned upside down.
    Last edited by TheRic; 08-19-2008, 09:00 AM.
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• lebomike
      Established Member
      • Jan 2008
      • Pennsylvania
      • Ryobi BT3000

The way you are showing the picture is correct. I have installed this in many homes and it is always like you are showing. Just remember whe you are cutting the miters for the corners, it is always upside down and backwards for it to fit properly.
      That being said, if she wants it the other way, go for it.

Mike
      "The power of kindness is immense. It is nothing less, really, than the power to change the world."

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Usually, the small detail is the bottom of the moulding.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

Yes, the angles on the edge of crown molding are 52 and 38 deg.* Normally the crown molding extends further onto the ceiling than down the wall. If you need to mount it with the top side down and wish to maintain the same aspect ratio then you could re-cut the edges.

Now, does you wife really want it that way or did you just ask, "Witch way do you like it dear?" and she made the decision without really having a preference. The purpose of the molding is to hide what was typically a bad joint at the top of the wall, think post and beam, lath and plaster, seasonal movement and no fiberglass reinforced tape. The busy part or detail edge takes the eye and focuses your view on the wall and off of the ceiling. Walls have things you want to be looked at and ceilings have cracks, think walking on the floor above and lath and plaster.....

In today's house you should have none of the problems that early builders had but, do you really want people looking at the ceiling and tripping over the cat rather than at your wife's artwork on the wall?

Bill, who thinks that having started second guessing his wife there is no hope left for Paul.

* I am sure there is stuff out there with different angles, this is just what I am used to.

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

Another reason not to install it upside down is the profile was designed with its "shadow lines" to look a certain way when installed correctly. When it is upside down it will not look correct.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• stormdog74
              Established Member
              • Mar 2007
              • Sacramento, CA
              • Ridgid TS3650

Another concern would be when you go to sell the house - if someone notices that (I would) it would be another thing that needs to be fixed and would probably cut into your sale price. It might make people think "what else wasn't done right".

Comment

• jonmulzer
                • Dec 2007
                • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                Another reason not to install it upside down is the profile was designed with its "shadow lines" to look a certain way when installed correctly. When it is upside down it will not look correct.
                My thoughts also upon reading this. It will throw off the shadow lines and create a trap for flying dust bunnies.
                "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Paul,

Not listening to your wife is gonna get you into trouble. Funny you should ask this now though.One of my brothers is a part-time handyman. Two weeks ago he installed the trim in a house for a contractor after a guy got sick. HeThe client insisted the crown be installed like your wife wife wants. He told me about it then and we agreed it would look terrible. My brother called last night to tell me he is being called back to pull the crown and turn it over.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by crokett
                    Paul,

Not listening to your wife is gonna get you into trouble. Funny you should ask this now though.One of my brothers is a part-time handyman. Two weeks ago he installed the trim in a house for a contractor after a guy got sick. HeThe client insisted the crown be installed like your wife wife wants. He told me about it then and we agreed it would look terrible. My brother called last night to tell me he is being called back to pull the crown and turn it over.

If he's going to try to reuse what's up...longer pieces can be cut shorter, but...

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

Sounds like a good case for a unique base molding.
                      Erik

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

What I decided to do is install it the "right" way up and plead ignorance when
                        asked why it's now upside down from what she expected. By then it'll be too
                        late unless she wants to buy more. And there's no way in heck I'm doing the
                        same crown twice!

Anyone have doghouse plans?

Paul

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Anyone have doghouse plans?

Paul

No, but I know a place that'll leave the light on for ya.

Comment

• stormdog74
                            Established Member
                            • Mar 2007
                            • Sacramento, CA
                            • Ridgid TS3650

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission...

Comment

Working...