• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daryl
    • May 2004

City folks moving to the country

Found on another site.
    Attached Files
    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things
  • DUD
    Royal Jester
    • Dec 2002
    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I can believe that! Bill
    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • On the TARDIS
      • BT 3100

I love it
      From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Years ago, one of my boys went into the basement. He came running upstairs, telling my wife there was a huge rat down there. I was at work at the time. When I got home, I was told I had to get a rat trap. I went out to buy one. When I got back home, my boy had killed the rat (a small possum).

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Funny but that has got to be fake.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Bill Stock
            Established Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Canada, Eh!
            • BT3100

This is my cat, keeps out the riffraff
            Attached Files

Comment

• jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Sad but true, I happen to be a "city boy", and my wife takes every opportunity to run it in.

Not long after we moved into this house, I called her over to ask about a rat on the back patio. It was a possum - I'd never seen one.

We used to have skunks and raccoons (one nearly got into the house) appear every once in a while, but not lately.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

That sign is pretty funny, and there are probably some "city people" that are that ignorant. Our small German Shepherd (86lbs), has hunted down and killed a variety of wildlife in our back yard. It's a tossup between raccoon and possum that gives her the best run for the money.

Comment

• Gator95
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2008
                  • Atlanta GA
                  • Ridgid 3660

Hey- that looks just like the cat my dog was trying to knock off the fence last weekend at 10PM.

Comment

• docrowan
                    • Mar 2007
                    • New Albany, MS
                    • BT3100

I was born and raised in the suburbs of Shreveport in north Louisiana. Fresh out of college, I moved to a small town in south Louisiana and the heart of Cajun country.

I moved into a nice apartment complex and was telling my new boss how much I enjoyed it. I described the duck pond in the back that had big beavers swimming around in it.

"Beaver?", he said, puzzled. Then I could see his confusion clear, "That was no beaver, it was a nutria!"

"What's a nutria?" I said. My boss laughed, "A giant rat with orange teeth". I didn't really believe him until I got home that evening and saw one on the bank. Sure enough, what I thought were cute little beaver were 30 pound "rats" with orange teeth and long rat tails. That was one of the first of a long series of educational experiences for me.
                    - Chris.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                      • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by cabinetman
                      That sign is pretty funny, and there are probably some "city people" that are that ignorant. Our small German Shepherd (86lbs), has hunted down and killed a variety of wildlife in our back yard. It's a tossup between raccoon and possum that gives her the best run for the money.
                      Possum don't fight back too well (usually play dead), my neighbor's Cocker Spaniel (25 lbs) takes them out on a regular basis.

Raccoons can be feisty though.
                      Mike
                      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by docrowan
                        "What's a nutria?" I said. My boss laughed, "A giant rat with orange teeth". I didn't really believe him until I got home that evening and saw one on the bank. Sure enough, what I thought were cute little beaver were 30 pound "rats" with orange teeth and long rat tails. That was one of the first of a long series of educational experiences for me.
                        They eat the heck out of nutria on the bayou... Pick 'em off the banks with .22's from a boat, usually. Not one of my faves (tastes kinda like guinea pig).

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally Posted by docrowan

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                          They eat the heck out of nutria on the bayou... Pick 'em off the banks with .22's from a boat, usually. Not one of my faves (tastes kinda like guinea pig).
                          Back in the 40's, 50, 60's they used to trap them things for the pelts.
                          Thank god they don't cross the border into Texas.

Doc, Shreveport ain't exactly the big city; but I'm sure there were many mroe surprises in store for you in Cajun Country!

OTOH, if you can stay away from the nutria and the boudin and stuff like that they do have some really fine cooking.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• docrowan
                            • Mar 2007
                            • New Albany, MS
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                            OTOH, if you can stay away from the nutria and the boudin and stuff like that they do have some really fine cooking.
                            Shut yo mouf, chile - I love boudin! Never tasted nutria, though. I never had the opportunity, but after that first experience I never had a desire, either.

That's one thing I really miss from down there - the food. A doggone gas station down the street from my work had some of the best po-boys you'll find - you know, the drippy kind that takes half a roll of paper towels to clean up from. Little holes in the wall would have red beans and rice that would knock your socks off.

Whoo, boy, I feel a road trip coming on. Or as they say in South Louisiana, "Come on, boo, we go roday!" (You have to roll the "r" in roday and roday is actually spelled rode, but most of you guys wouldn't know how to pronounce it correctly.)
                            - Chris.

Comment

• BerniePA
                              Established Member
                              • Nov 2007
                              • San Tan Valley, AZ
                              • Grizzly 0575

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                              I don't think I even want to know how you know what guinea pig tastes like!! I can only imagine what you told your poor kids when they came home from school and their pets cage was empty!!!!
                              Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

Working...