• Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Originally posted by BerniePA
    I don't think I even want to know how you know what guinea pig tastes like!!
    It is actually very popular in many South American societies... No, I didn't eat anybody's pet... I tasted some raised (farmed) for food, and prepared by a Peruvian grandmother. All I saw was little roasted morsels, not guinea pig carcasses.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Made me think of the old neighborhoods connection, to the Beverly Hillbillies. The world is just too dxxn small.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Is nutria the same thing as muskrat? If so, when I was little in north Tenn. my uncle would trap those as well as minks and other things for the pelts. I did manage to learn how to tan hides back then. A skill I never found the need to use after that.
        Lee

Comment

• docrowan
          • Mar 2007
          • New Albany, MS
          • BT3100

According to wikipedia, the muskrat and nutria are very similar in appearance and behavior. The muskrat has a slightly flattened tail, the nutria's tail looks just like a rat's tail. The nutria is really kind of cute when it's in the water. But when it crawls onto the bank it will give you the heebie jeebies if you have any kind of fear of rats.

The muskrat can survive and thrive in much lower temperatures than nutria, which is why the nutria are confined to southern states.

The nutria is quite a pest, it breeds almost as fast as rats and mice, and they make very destructive holes in river banks and levees. The levees in South Louisiana can be significantly weakened by their burrows and it is a genuine cause for concern by the Corps of Engineers.
          - Chris.

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

Nutria parmesan! mmmmmmmmmmmmm

NOT!
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
              Veteran Member
              • May 2007
              • Tacoma, WA
              • BT3000

I have had muskrat stew, not bad if it's cooked for a couple of days. Much better than porcupine.

Bill, formerly of the hinterlands

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                Much better than porcupine.
                Porkypine ain't bad, if you can get somebody to peel it for you...

Comment

• RAFlorida
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Alright guys, let's quit the funnin' and

get back to the posted sign. We ALL know it's not a cat, but rather a squirrel. Jeez, those city slickers don't know squat...

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by Stytooner
                    Is nutria the same thing as muskrat? If so, when I was little in north Tenn. my uncle would trap those as well as minks and other things for the pelts. I did manage to learn how to tan hides back then. A skill I never found the need to use after that.
                    I've heard that they are very closely related. In the samples of skins I've seen nutria is very pale, cream to dirty white and muskrat is very gray to dark gray. However I've only ever seen very limited samples of nutria. Other than color there was / is no difference that I could see.
                    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• docrowan
                      • Mar 2007
                      • New Albany, MS
                      • BT3100

I never saw one in the wild (read my back yard) that was as light colored as you described. The ones I saw were a light to medium brown. Of course, I never saw one that wasn't wet, either, so it could be once their fur dries it gets lighter in color.
                      - Chris.

Comment

Working...