Audio question. Stereo or Surround sound.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

A point I don't think has been mentioned is that unless you're the sort of hard-core audiophile that Scott says he was, you might as well buy a multi-channel AVR (audio/video receiver) because there's no real penalty -- monetary or otherwise -- for doing so. Two-channel receivers are not exactly hard to find, but in the non-audiophile market multi-channel AVRs are far more common nowadays because that's what people want. There are endless models, features lists are deep, and fierce competition keeps the prices low considering what all you get.

For example, I just took a look at Crutchfield's web site. They list 12 two-channel stereo receivers, at prices ranging from $150 to $900. By comparison they show 44 multi-channel receivers, starting at the same $150 and going all the way up to a staggering $5500. Unless you are, again, a really discriminating audiophile -- in which case you wouldn't be asking this question -- there's an AVR that will satisfy your ears and your wallet. (The speakers and room acoustics will make more difference than the electronics will, anyway.)

Point being, if all you want right now is stereo, buy a multi-channel receiver and connect only two speakers, to the Left Front (or Main) and Right Front (Main) channels. The other channels will be there, ready and waiting, if ever you decide you want surround sound. All you'd need do is buy the remaining speakers and hook them up.
    Larry

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Originally posted by LarryG
      Point being, if all you want right now is stereo, buy a multi-channel receiver and connect only two speakers, to the Left Front (or Main) and Right Front (Main) channels. The other channels will be there, ready and waiting, if ever you decide you want surround sound. All you'd need do is buy the remaining speakers and hook them up.

Now how would you switch between using the pre and amp (adcom stereo), and tuner only (surround)?
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
        Now how would you switch between using the pre and amp (adcom stereo), and tuner only (surround)?
        That's getting into a complex area, with many possible answers. I am not an audiophile, and my experience is limited to the handful of nice-enough-but-not-spectacular systems I've owned over the years. I do know, however, that component systems can be hooked up in various ways depending on what pieces of gear you own and what your priorities are.

That said, most modern stereo/home theater systems have the AVR as the centerpiece of the entire system. The pre-amp, amp, radio tuner, EQ, etc. are all contained in one box and its remote can often be programmed to control at least the basic functions of the other major components (turn the TV on and off, start/stop/pause the disc player, etc). The AVR also typically has a setup menu (on-screen, or front-panel display, or both) that allows you to fine-tune or even reassign inputs and outputs as desired.

The various outboard components are then connected to the various inputs on the AVR's back panel and pressing the appropriate button on the remote routes the desired input to the desired output. You would connect your Adcom stereo to one set of inputs, your TV to another, your DVD/Blu-ray player to another, etc. It will all depend on what gear you own and how you want it connected. And it may take you several hours to figure it out and get everything properly configured. But, generally speaking, when that is done and sorted out, selecting any given source should be no more involved than pressing one button on your car radio to tune in a preset station.
        Last edited by LarryG; 10-06-2009, 02:19 PM.
        Larry

Comment

• Kristofor
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2004
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

5/7.1 all the way...

But, as you've read several times already it depends on what you want to listen to... I almost never just sit and listen to music. If music is on (during a party, Christmas music, etc.) it's usually just for background/atmosphere. However, when I want to watch a movie (or to a lesser degree, some TV shows) I want to pay attention and feel the full experience. If your usage patterns are reversed then you would probably not answer the same way.

Even the very cheapest AVR will have a plain streo mode (which sounds fine to me). Most of the midrange or better AVRs have an option to turn off most/all of the signal processing as some "pure audio" or "direct audio" output mode for "even more accurate stereo reproduction" (which also sounds fine to me).

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
            What do you have and why?

I got into this discussion recently (want a receiver) with a friend of mine who has some commercial stereo receivers (not selling them, so that slant is off) and he said the ONLY reason you would want Surround, was for action movies (don't watch many) or maybe sporting events (not a sports fan )

Thanks
            I guess I agree with the exception that I dont get the "ONLY." That seems to imply your friend is an audiophile rather than a movie buff. Having a dolby digital reciver with surround is exactly for movies and sports!!
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Posted to the wrong thread. This one edited out! That is the problem of having two or three threads open at the same time!
              Last edited by leehljp; 10-06-2009, 07:08 PM.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

Stereo built into the TV. My wife is deaf in one ear, so she wouldn't see a difference either way. I don't watch much TV, and rarely watch a movie.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• gerti
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Very little music is available in a surround mix, and most of that is poorly done. But the ones that are well done sound awesome!

But I agree with most others: Stereo for Music, Surround for movies and TV.

Comment

• pacwind3
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Vancouver, WA
                    • Bosch 4100

We have a flat screen, not terribly large: I think it's a 42". Then I bought a Bose 3-2-1 system. Got it over a year ago when they were offering it on no interest payments. 12 payments later and I owned it, it was pretty painless. My only complaint is: 6 months after owning it they upgraded they systems DVD to upscale to 1080 high def.
                    BUT, since I bought an Apple TV this April: we watch all movies though it anyway. They are all high def with 5.1 surround.

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by gerti
                      Very little music is available in a surround mix, and most of that is poorly done. But the ones that are well done sound awesome!

But I agree with most others: Stereo for Music, Surround for movies and TV.
                      Even though my roots go back to audio purism, I would like to get a separate surround system for the TV for movies. Surround sound for movie sound tracks is a cool effect, whereas my goal is realism when listening critically to music (something that doesn't happen much these days ).
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• ironhat
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Does anyone remember quadraphonic sound systems? Yep, I jumped aboard that white elephant. So, the reason I have surround sound is that I'm still trying to get quad
                        Blessings,
                        Chiz

Comment

• Knottscott
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Rochester, NY.
                          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by ironhat
                          Does anyone remember quadraphonic sound systems? Yep, I jumped aboard that white elephant. So, the reason I have surround sound is that I'm still trying to get quad
                          Quadraphonic sound with an 8 (...pause... clunk...pause...)-track player was the cat's (...pause... clunk...pause...) meow!
                          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• ironhat
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Knottscott
                            Quadraphonic sound with an 8 (...pause... clunk...pause...)-track player was the cat's (...pause... clunk...pause...) meow!

I forgot the second 'pause' - never actually owned one. They weren't up to my standards. I was an audiophonic snob back then.
                            Blessings,
                            Chiz

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

Mod's, please close this!

I want to thank you all! My mom called today and asked that I take her to Costco (her card is expired, and she wants to go less then four times a year, while I have a business card). I looked at a lower end Yamaha receiver while I was there. It appears to have a separate out for the preamp, (which I then believe goes to the amp), as well as the outs for the surround stuff. It appears if I get the Adcom preamp and amp, and something like this receiver, the ONLY thing I would be missing is a phono jack.

Probably going to start looking at the USB turntables for the rare album that isn't available other ways.

Thanks again!
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Charlie
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2009

Deleted by me.
                                Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...