X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daryl
    • May 2004

I found a hammer!!

I can only imagine somebody went willy nits looking for it. It was on top of the built in dishwasher, which was installed early 90's. I thought it was an Estwing at first, but as you can see from the picture it is not likely. It has no brand on it, just the warning stamped in the blue rubber of the handle. While it is a one piece forging, there is a filled hole where the handle would exit on top. Maybe painted red at one time, also blue specs left on the bottom side. Anybody want to take a crack at IDing it, go for it.
    That is a two dollar yard sale Estwing on top.
    Attached Files
    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

that's funny. I'm hoping to find a dewalt circular saw when i pull out my dishwasher later this year.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

That hammer certainly doesn't look like a estwing. It might be a craftsman.
      I found a makita drill on top of my attic panel 2 years after my furnace was installed up there. The installer probably held the panel up while taking a last look around, his drill was on top of his head.
      I returned it to the HVAC contractor, they were surprised I did.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

A blue handle could be an old Eastwing or a Vaughan. I don't remember Craftsman having blue handles. Could be one of the brands that Western Auto or Montgomery Ward carried.

Comment

• scmhogg
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
          • BT3000

Your really lucky. When I was doing some work in my attic, all I discovered was a stack of beer cans under the insulation.

Steve
          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Not real sure about that.... Reminds me of what I found in my house when I first bought it...

#1. Miter box and saw, under the deck. Found it when I was replacing deck boards. Rusted beyond use.
            #2. Cheapo Chinese hammer found in the attic, sitting on top of the AC unit.
            #3. Craftsman screwdriver set, wooden handled, looks like it was from the 60's, in a canvas roll up. I already had a full set of Snap On screwdrivers, and wasn't too forward thinking. I gave them to a young fellow in my church that was just starting out a career as a mechanic.

and of course countless bits and pieces of Lord only knows what... Mostly attic finds.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

Originally posted by scmhogg
              Your really lucky. When I was doing some work in my attic, all I discovered was a stack of beer cans under the insulation.

Steve
              I've got steel beer cans in the crawl space under my house!
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• jking
                • May 2003
                • Des Moines, IA.
                • BT3100

If there's no identification stamped on it anywhere, it's probably going to be tough to identify the brand. I agree it's not an Estwing. My dad has an old Vaughn one-piece steel hammer that has a similar looking handle, but, the Vaughn brand is clearly stamped on the side of the head. (For 25 years I actually thought it was an Estwing b/c that's the only company I had seen with a one-piece steel hammer. Then I saw the stamp on the head) With no markings, it's probably just an "off-brand".

Most important, though, how does it drive a nail? If it does it's job well, I don't care what brand it is.

Comment

Working...