• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Like your tools- buy the best you can afford.

I looked at a few systems but settled on a 900W 5.1( the year before 6.1 was available) with more inputs in the back than I know what to do with.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
      Like your tools- buy the best you can afford.

I looked at a few systems but settled on a 900W 5.1( the year before 6.1 was available) with more inputs in the back than I know what to do with.

The inputs were the sticking point for me. I used to think I needed a lot more, and I probably did THEN. VCR's are pretty much by the wayside (finding tapes?), cassettes are pretty much wore out and while cd's were nice, they get ripped, and the songs I listen to go on the hard drive (no commercials). My only real contention was the records that aren't out elsewhere.
      When a sound man (commercials, tv, movies, studio setups, etc), that I have known for a while told me about the Phono preamp, and said check Ebay, since not many people use them still; I got lucky. I found one with audio out, and USB for digitizing those songs.
      I've seen some of the high end systems, and they are out of my price range, require hearing protection (history of hearing loss in the family), and I like some of my neighbors.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • IL, USA.
        • DELTA 36-675

My very first receiver was a Sony that I purchased back in 1994 and it is still going strong and mainly use it in the shop as a dedicated stereo. Next was a Kenwood receiver and that was the last Kenwood receiver I ever purchased. In 1998, I purchased my very first Onkyo receiver and have not bought any other brands since. My current receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR607, it was an impulse buy using my Amazon rewards gift certificate during Thanksgiving deal that Amazon was having. It replaced my Onkyo TX-SR701 receiver which was relocated in the basement workout area. The Onkyo TX-SR701 was an awesome receiver however, I am loving the Onkyo TX-SR607.
        Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

Working...