• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Home theater receivers/stereo tuners.

What all do you have, and why? (I am back to looking since my new tv/monitor will be here tomorrow)
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

75" front projection screen, Dell projector
    Yamaha 7.1 AV receiver 100 Wpc
    Oppo DV970-HD DVD upconverting player
    SVS 12" 330W subwoofer
    4 Advent Classics main stereo channels
    Sony Surround speakers center and rear
    Samsung ATSC OTA receiver

if you have to ask why, you don't get it.
    or, if you don't get it, try experiencing to the first 5-10 minutes of Master and Commander on my system.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-18-2010, 12:24 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      Yamaha 7.1 AV receiver 100 Wpc

Brand listed, but NOT model. What MODEL, and WHY did you chose THAT model? (needed extra inputs, etc)

What I would LIKE, and what I can AFFORD, let alone neighbor/noise issues are different things. (may be getting a friends old Adcom stereo stuff, but NOT surround)

I am thinking separate receiver since I have a multi cd changer, dvd, phono (still). But I am also looking at those basic surround receivers that come with either dvd or BR, since cost verses time using is also being looked at.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• sleddogg
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2006
        • Reedsburg, WI
        • Ryobi BT3100 Italian blade

Try Htguide.com

While new to woodworking I have been a music enthusiast for a long time and if I had the money I would be following to a great extent, the choices and preferences laid out by the fine people populating the forum referenced above. I have been able to afford slightly above entry level units by rotel for electronics and Bowers and Wilkins for speakers. I currently have a 5 channel amp by Rotel model RB1099 which puts out 200watts per channel in a very precise manner. It retails for $2000.00, I use a Rotel Surround processor circa 2001 which I was able to get used for $500.00 but retailed new for
        $2000.00 and while I wish to upgade that to something that supports HDMI and the newest audio codecs such as Master Audio and TrueHd (giving the closest sound as possible to the original theater masters) I still am ecstatic every time I listen. I have a speaker set consisting of B&W 683 (fronts), 685 (rears), HTM61 (center) and ASW600 (Sub Woofer) which totaled $3500.00 and listening to them gives me goosebumps. However if I win the lottery, I know where I would go from here, B&W 800Diamond Series (flagship costs $14000.00 per speaker and appear in Abby Road Studios as well as Lucal Arts Studios). Now you can definately get awesome sound well below these numbers and the folks at this forum are glad to guide you so do yourself a huge favor and visit this site and never ever set foot in a best buy if you want something good, find a dealer.

Comment

• sleddogg
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2006
          • Reedsburg, WI
          • Ryobi BT3100 Italian blade

Also, pound for pound, the sony playstation3 is one of the best blu ray players a person can get as far as compatability and audio delivery are concerned. FYI---HDMI is not a perfect format and has it's issues with "handshakes" with source equipment (DVD players) and processing equipment. Every brand and model come with unique feature sets and setup menus. I've seen many instances where guys with $25000.00 plus in audio equipment are opting for the PS3 as a BluRay player because it allows everything to work as intended. Especially with Master Audio and True HD.

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

My setup is 10 years old do I don't think the model numbers will help you. But it sounds like you may want something more like mine. I actually have two. In my basement, I have a very inexpensive all in one. It has 5 channels of audio but we do not have the rear speakers connected. The sub is maybe 5 inch. The best thing you can say about it is that it works. Better speakers would help but it only has maybe 15W/channel but with good speakers, I suspect it would sound much better.

My main setup is in the family room. I have an old Kenwood receiver with, I believe, 40W/channel. I have a sperate subwoofer, I believe it's 12 inch, in a 4 cubic foot ported box between the floor joists and shooting out a fake heat vent. I think the subs amp is 100W. I can make you think the walls are moving.

Since this is a wood working forum, I will also say that all my speakers on my main setup are home made. I think you can save a lot that way and get very good speakers. This is a link to a website where you can get plans (not for what I have but for some speakers you can make).

I bought my speakers from parts express but came up with my own design. It is very simple. For the front three channels I use pioneer 6.5 inch speakers in a small ported box with a pizio tweeter in parallel (no crossover). I used the published parameters and designed the box. Not very sophisiticated and undoubtedly not real flat but works for us. The 3db downpoint for the tweeter aligns with the rolloff of the woofer.

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
              Brand listed, but NOT model. What MODEL, and WHY did you chose THAT model? (needed extra inputs, etc)

What I would LIKE, and what I can AFFORD, let alone neighbor/noise issues are different things. (may be getting a friends old Adcom stereo stuff, but NOT surround)

I am thinking separate receiver since I have a multi cd changer, dvd, phono (still). But I am also looking at those basic surround receivers that come with either dvd or BR, since cost verses time using is also being looked at.
              my model is no longer available. But what i would look for is the following:

At least three, maybe four HDMI inputs with one HDMI output. I don't think you can have too many inputs - Sat/cable receiver, DVD, Game console, Streaming Video device, still camera/movie camera etc.

I wouldn't buy a combo receiver-DVD, DVD players are commodities, it'll keep you from going Hi Def, and if it breaks, then you have some hard choices about replacing it or the receiver...
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                or, if you don't get it, try experiencing to the first 5-10 minutes of Master and Commander on my system.
                I'm guessing you can cause heart palpitations w/ that much bass.

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

My receiver is a Denon AVR-2309CI, bought just over one year ago. The current model is the AVR-2310CI, which is essentially identical to my 2309 apart from having one more HDMI input (five vs four) and 5 more watts per channel (105 vs 100).

I chose the 2309 because my circa-1972 stereo system was long overdue for replacement, and I wanted to put together a reasonably nice home theater system. Music and movies are something more than a casual interest with me, but something less than an obsession; I'm neither an audiophile nor a videophile. I wanted to spend a total of $1500 or so on receiver and speakers and was originally looking at receivers in the $500-600 range, having determined that was about what I needed to spend to get the mix of features and inputs I wanted and still leave enough for a decent 5.1 speaker setup.

My original short list was the Denon AVR-1909 and the comparable receivers from Yamaha and Onkyo (can't remember their model numbers). I gravitated toward the Denon because of generally very positive reviews for this brand, and because I read quite a few reports about the Onkyos running really hot. Having tentatively settled on the Denon 1909, I began researching it more deeply and eventually decided to move up one model, to the 2309. There were two main reasons for this. First, the 2309 added a phono input, something I sorta-kinda wanted but was not a deal breaker if a given receiver didn't have it. Second, and far more important, I learned that the 1909 and lower Denons were all built in China whereas the 2309 and up were built in Japan. Reviews by people with experience with both said that while the Chinese made Denons performed okay, when the Japanese models were opened up they had visibly better build quality. I decided that those two things were well worth the ~$150 premium for the (then) $750 2309. However, looking at the rear panel of the 2310, I see that it now says "Made In China."

One year later I am entirely pleased with my choice and would buy the 2309 again without hesitation. The only downside with Denons is that their manuals are CRAP; they are not well organized and are difficult to wade through. But I was warned about this before buying, and there are plenty of places to get help online.
                  Last edited by LarryG; 01-18-2010, 10:11 AM.
                  Larry

Comment

• dewi1219
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Birmingham, AL

I went with the Denon AVR-1909 that Larry mentioned. I chose it because it has three HDMI inputs and also uses the Audyssey auto-tuning package. I also considered the Onkyo, but reviewers generally stated that the Denon sounded better with music than the Onkyo (very important to me). Whatever you choose, I would strongly suggest that you at least consider / audition something with Audyssey before you buy. It makes a huge difference on my system, and I have some pretty high-end DIY speakers as well.

Comment

• cgallery
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Milwaukee, WI
                      • BT3K

Marantz has some nice units that seem like they also have a nice user interface.

I'm struggling w/ doing something for my 84-YO mother. She wants a new receiver and I need something easy for her to operate.

I went through all this a couple of years ago and was able to adapt what she already had. Now she wants satellite radio.

Comment

• JeffG78
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                        • BT3100

I just got a Onkyo HTS5200 system to go with my 50" Samsung plasma TV. The Onkyo system got great reviews and was very well priced. I got it for just over $400. It's a 1200W 7.1 system with HDMI pass throughs. The system sounds great, but I do not use the HDMI pass through. They only work with the receiver turned on, so the TV cannot be used at all without using the receiver. I normally always use the surround system, but I'd like to have the option if I am just trying to turn the TV on the get the news or weather report. Other than that, it's great. It comes with a microphone that sets up the sound automatically. Once I got speaker stands and was happy with placement, I did the auto setup and it made a huge difference in sound quality for movies.

The Samsung TV has a great picture, but my wife is home quite a bit and tends to watch USA network more than anything else. Subsequently, after only 4 months of use, "USA HD" was burned in at the lower right corner of the screen. From what I've learned, the major networks shift their logos a few pixels, but the cable networks don't. It doesn't come into play during normal viewing, but it really stands out during commercials or under certain picture colors.

I posted pics a few years ago of my layout. I don't have the space in my living room for components, so I built a component cabinet that hangs from the ceiling in the basement below the living room. The only thing in the living room is the TV hanging above the fireplace and the speakers. The receiver, DVD player, and cable box are in the basement. I made the cabinet such that I can walk behind it to get to the back of the components and wiring. I made speaker cover-style doors for the front and back of the cabinet to allow airflow and to keep the dust out.

Comment

• wbsettle
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Wilmington, NC
                          • BT3100

To get your feet wet, I think you can do far worse than the Onkyo TX-SR507. It'll process audio via HDMI, including the latest Blu-ray codecs, and has Audyssey room correction EQ to help fix the room's influence on the playback. Currently around $300 on Amazon, but saw (and waiting for it to return) as low as $245 right around Christmas. Also available around that price as a factory authorized refurb from Accessories4Less.

I use a 2+ year old Onkyo 805 as the processor in my dedicated theater room and also purchased a refurb Onkyo 506 (same as 507 w/no HDMI audio) for my parents last year when they decided they wanted a bit of surround in their living room. And, as mentioned above, I'm watching the price daily for a NIB 507 to hit $250ish again to upgrade the receiver in my living room system. Obviously, I think Onkyos are hard to beat on price/performance ratio at the moment and for the past couple of years. :-)

-Brent

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

Thanks all, I am now down to two options. One the Onkyo HTS5200 (had to laugh at that one as a few years back, I was looking at them, to hook up my usb sound card), and the Yamaha YHT391BL. Granted, I probably don't have the systems that most of you might, and the tv is a 23" (fits my needs for the amount of watching it), but with a phono Preamp, these should do for me.

Comment

• pacwind3
                              Established Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • Vancouver, WA
                              • Bosch 4100

Bose 3-2-1. Personally I think Bose is one of, if not the best. And I got mine over a year ago on interest free payments w/no credit check from Bose. Just give them a CC to charge the monthly payments to when you buy. 11 payments later and I owned it. They have that option on anything from Bose.com under $1500. I even saw a reconditioned lifestyles system available under $1500, if you have a bigger room and need more oomph then the 3-2-1 has. Since my wife is always complaining I turn it up too loud: I figure I am good with what I have.

Comment

Working...