Man gives unseen video of Challenger explosion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Man gives unseen video of Challenger explosion.

I remember quite well when this happened. Someone came into the lunchroom (school) and told us that the shuttle had exploded; we thought he was playing some weird joke.

EARLY on he says the launch is brighter then normal.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • natausch
    Established Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Aurora, IL
    • BT3000 - 15A

In the grade school I attended we watched every shuttle launch, at least until after the Challenger one.

Comment

• jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I lived near the Kennedy Space Center during my high school years. I remember hearing news of the Apollo 1 disaster (fire on the pad) on the way home from a basketball game. Most of my classmaes had at least one parent involved in the space program, and for days people were very somber. Like the Challenger disaster, it could have been avoided with better engineering.

Unfortunately, the most enduring lessons we learn in life are from our mistakes, not our successes.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Ugh... I hate seeing that, especially with the budget news... Not good for Houston...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• David D
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2009
          • Richmond, VA

I was working just south of Kennedy Space Center back then and had stepped outside to watch the launch. Thought the 1st stage booster separation looked wrong and stepped back inside where we had a radio listening to NASA. There was a eerie silence for what seemed like an eternity, then the announcer's first words that broke the silence; "Obviously, a major malfunction"... I still weep to this day when I think back on that.

Comment

• scmhogg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

Some years ago, we stayed at the Holiday Inn across from the Cape. We were waiting to board a Disney Cruise.

Unbeknownst to us, the shuttle launch had been delayed, necessitating a night launch. We walked out on the beach to watch. It was awesome, the noise was a deep rumble that you could feel in your chest. The engines lit up the beach and ocean brighter than daytime.

A nice little extra to a great Disney holiday.

Steve
            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Because of my location, I've had occasion to see both the good and the bad. I remember the horror as I watched Challenger come apart before my very eyes, but I am equally affected to the positive as I remember being on final approach to Space Center Exec in a 182, and watching them light a shuttle and send it up right in front of me...

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

I was in French class when Challenger exploded. Our teacher was annoyed because one of the kids was late for class. It turned out he was in the library watching the launch and saw the explosion as it happened.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Amazing video, especially considering the technology available.

You guys talking about school on that day. In 1986 I was in Beaufort, SC about 4 years from retiring from the Corps...
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • On the TARDIS
                    • BT 3100

We were just out of class for the day and a group of us were going to a bar for lunch when thay announced the bad news. Lunch was very subdued that day. I remember that moment like it just happened.
                    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                      Bandsaw Box Momma
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

I remember sitting in my computer class, (6th grade) and the teacher letting us watch it. I believe the reason we were watching was because our teacher had applied or submitted an application to be the teacher that went up in the shuttle and had gone to a couple of interviews I believe. We sat there around the television watching it and when the disaster happened we were all in shock because all we could think of was that could have been our teacher. We had another couple of students who worked in the office going around and telling each class what happened and then we had another class in our classroom watching the horror.
                      Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

Working...