• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Egress window adding to basement.

Has anyone cut out a window in a foundation to make it into a egress window?

Tips, tricks?

Thanks
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

what is the foundation wall made of? block, poured rubble stone?
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I kind of did this in our house in Omaha a lot of years ago. The foundation was concrete block. I put an abrasive blade in an old, cheap, circular saw and basically ruined it cutting a couple openings. It threw off clouds of dust. It would probably be wiser to just rent a saw for a few hours to do this.

The reason I say "kind of" is I don't think I made the windows big enough. These days, you could google it and make sure the windows you have in mind are large enough to qualify as egress.

Jim

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Emergency escape and rescue openings (egress windows) below grade often have more stringent requirements by code. ie: window wells & ladders. Don't just trust google, check your local code for the specifics and for any local amendments to their adopted code.
        Erik

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I would get a professional to do the work, and get permits. I've done a lot of work on houses in my time, but I know enough to know that you don't mess with the foundation. Do it right, and prevent issues.

Comment

• gjat
            • Nov 2005
            • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
            • BT3100

Seen it done correctly on some home show where they fix up rental property. Forget the name of it.

Seen a show where Mike Holmes fixes a disaster on Holmes on Homes.

Best advice from a Floridian who knows that all basements are just a swimming pool waiting to happen... hire a professional who will pull permits and guarentee the work.

Comment

• BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by gjat
              Seen it done correctly on some home show where they fix up rental property. Forget the name of it.

Seen a show where Mike Holmes fixes a disaster on Holmes on Homes.

Best advice from a Floridian who knows that all basements are just a swimming pool waiting to happen... hire a professional who will pull permits and guarentee the work.
              I think the show was "Income Property". It's not a bad show, but I'm sure they have professionals actually doing the work, or at least watching over.

The important part is to make sure the lentil is placed/ secured properly. As gjat noted, it can become a disaster if not done correctly.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

I believe the foundation is concrete, but I know that you can't always tell around here. (example, in my neighborhood, they may be concrete, or concrete covered)
                I figure it will get hired out (friends basement he is finishing due to an unexpected grandbaby), but I have been asked to help some (he says he couldn't put a wall up to save his life), since that is about the only part of construction I haven't done. I want to be able to ask intelligent questions, to make sure he doesn't hire some fly by night, and I need to be able to understand the outside setup, to help do some dirt work (think we are going to have to regrade and area).
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

Should you decide to do it yourself and the wall is solid concrete, I would recommend that you have the hold cut by a professional. He/they will cut the hole in about an hour, a job that may well take you a day or more with a lot of back breaking work. They will come in with big water cooled saws that will cut it like butter.

I put in a sliding glass door by digging out one side of our basement making a sort of grotto and cutting the foundation. The cement was about 20 years old and very hard (as you know the older the concrete the harder it is) took me about a week of nights and two weekends to cut the hole myself. Digging the hole in the ground by hand was easy in comparison. Neighbor saw the project, liked the idea and had a backhoe come for the hole in the ground and the concrete cutters for the wall and was had the door in in three days.

I had to put in steel over the door and pour a foundation under the wall, something you may not have to do.

You should also look to securing the window, they make for a very easy way into a house. You may want to add a security gate and will need to allow for it's swing when sizing the well hole.

good luck

Bill

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Also account for disturbing the footer and any drain tile that might be there. If there is none, you might want to consider drainage for the project before you begin.
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...