• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

aromatic cedar for drawers?

Anyone ever used cedar for drawers? I have some left from a project that never happened and may be building a dresser/baby changing table.

Thanks
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Haven't used Cedar for drawers before, but a word of caution. As you have most likely noticed, Cedar is insanely soft. I would NOT use cedar on anything that will take any sort of load. I already need to redo the base of my workbench that I foolishly built with Cedar... (too light, moves too much, flexes etc...)
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• iceman61
      • Oct 2007
      • West TN
      • Bosch 4100-09

you could always build the drawer, then line the inside with cedar. Im thinking just the drawer bottoms would be sufficient.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Originally posted by iceman61
        you could always build the drawer, then line the inside with cedar. Im thinking just the drawer bottoms would be sufficient.
        Actually the backs and bottoms were what I was considering. Maybe the front as well (build a box then screw the face frame on through it).

I was thinking for the outside, route it down to a drawer bottom thickness, and leave the middle raised and unfinished, so it could be sanded for the scent over the years (is that a bad idea).

Thanks all
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

The odor may be overwhelming for drawers, depending on what you put in them. Traditionally, aromatic cedar doesn't get a finish. The odor does dissipate over time, and can be revitalized by a scrub with bronze wool.

I wouldn't use it for clothing, especially infant wear. Besides the smell, there could be allergic/sensitivity issues.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

the lining would be enough, it's the surface area, not the total weight that counts most. The cedar will lose its aroma over time, and can be revitalized as someone said by sanding or roughing up a bit. Some people really like it.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

Regarding the OP's concept and question, I was wondering if this would work for drawer box side panels. Not sure of planned drawer size or type of joinery... But is AC strong enough to support a bottom panel in a dado? Any thought on stability issues?
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Tamarack
                Established Member
                • Oct 2003
                • Speedwell, TN USA
                • BT3100

Aromatic Cedar oil is available to renew the scent more easily and more cleanly than sanding.

Paul

Comment

Working...