• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Question about dryer capacity

Oh great wealth of knowledge on the BT3 site, I need your input!

The preface: We have a large family, and as such, we need a large capacity washer and dryers. Last fall our 11 YO 4.0 cu ft super capacity washer died, and we replaced it with an even a larger 5.0 cu ft washer....we're happy with that, but.... we're now realizing that the added capacity of the washer is overwhelming our 11 YO super capacity 6.4 cu ft dryer, and we're needing to run it numerous times to get the load to dry. We're finding that 7.4 cu ft dyers are about the sweet spot for anything remotely reasonably priced, but there is also a 7.6 cu ft dryer for a couple hundred more. 8.0 cu ft dryers are available but run close to $1800, and that's not gonna happen.

The question: Is the difference between 7.4 and 7.6 cu ft noticeable and worth a couple hundred $?
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • RAFlorida
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
    • Ryobi BT3000

For a couple of hundred bucks

you only get .2 cubic feet more? Sounds too high to me. The 7.4 IMHO would be the better deal.

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

Not noticeable and not worth a couple of hundred.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• mpc
        • Feb 2005
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Is the new washer's "spin" cycle doing it's job? How wet does the laundry feel coming out of the washer compared to your old one... if wetter (or heavier) then the spin cycle isn't doing it's job and that's making the dryer look bad.

Also, is the dryer exhaust line clean - no lint clogs? A friend was complaining about his dryer suddenly getting worse and worse. I pulled the exhaust hose off and reached into both the hose and the dryer outlet. Got a couple handfuls of lint and a tube sock. Dryer worked great after that. Sometimes animals make nests in the hose outlet too...

mpc

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks for the replies. The spin cycle works very well...the clothes come out of the new washer "less wet" than with the old washer. The dryer vent at the back of the dryer is clean, but I haven't checked the horizontal piping in a year or so....it's a fairly long run of 5" steel line. I will check it!
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...