• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Great Deals On Nice Saw Blades

Over the years I’ve posted many times preaching against buying cheap blades because they’re usually false economy in the long run, and often don’t perform very well for very long. Every once in a while an opportunity rolls along to buy a very good saw blade at a very good price. Onsrud currently has several blades listed for auction on Ebay that include free s/h….since many folks don’t recognize the name “Onsrud”, they aren’t drawing a lot of bids, meaning that many are being sold uncontested for the initial listing price, which includes shipping. AFAIK, the blades are made in Germany by Leitz, who now owns Onsrud. Leitz is the same company who made the former Delta Industrial blades, the former Irwin Woodworker series, Leitz Pro, H.O. Schumacher and Sohns, and several others. These are typically good $50-$80 blades. They feature large C-4 carbide tips, laser cut high quality steel bodies, and are precision machined. There’s also a fairly good selection at the moment. For the record, I have no association with this company or this Ebay listing….just wanted to pass along the info (which will likely prompt some competition for the blades, so move fast!) Onsrud blades on Ebay.

I recently purchased their 42T full kerf ATB blade for $15 shipped, which is less than the cost of having a blade sharpened.

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Thanks for the heads up. I might try to pick up a couple.

Looks like there are some bidders now. There weren't any on the 10" blades earlier today.
    Erik

Comment

• tommyt654
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008

Thanks those are some good prices.I p/u a new Ridgid Carbide tipped 10 inch combo blade testerday at HD FOR $27 - 20% HF coupon. HD is clearancing them out. These are not the made in china ,but italy blades I suspect are original Avanti line of possible Freud rebadged under the Ridgid name,No shippin involved and a lifetime guarantee for $21 and some change if anyones interested
      Last edited by tommyt654; 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by tommyt654
        Thanks those are some good prices.I p/u a new Ridgid Carbide tipped 10 inch combo blade testerday at HD FOR $27 - 20% HF coupon. HD is clearancing them out. These are not the made in china ,but italy blades I suspect are original Avanti line of possible Freud rebadged under the Ridgid name,No shippin involved and a lifetime guarantee for $21 and some change if anyones interested
        Tommy, How in the world do you get HD to match a HF coupon when HF doesn't even sell Ridgid blades? You must really have a lot of charm! They'll just give me a blank look as if to say, "You're kiddin'? Right?"
        Richard
        Richard

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by phrog
          Tommy, How in the world do you get HD to match a HF coupon when HF doesn't even sell Ridgid blades? You must really have a lot of charm! They'll just give me a blank look as if to say, "You're kiddin'? Right?"
          Richard
          My HD will match the HF coupon no problem. The Happenings book for Minneapolis has (3) 20% off coupons for HF, and they'll honor them. I still have one of those left. There's also a Menards 15% off coupon as well. But Both chains will match the coupon, I've found.

Used one at HD to get 20% off a $450 Makita cordless set, and another at Menards to get 20% off of a Masterforce tool chest.

I think Menards sells the Happenings books too, so if you are buying a $100+ item from them buy a book and it'll pay for itself...

Comment

• tommyt654
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by phrog
            Richard
            Hey Richard ,It only works if you have a HF nearby, I just tell them that HF sells a similiar carbide tipped blade and they say "No problem", They would rather have the money especially on a clearance item especially rather than see those funds go to HF.Oh and btw,I did not see your earlier post on this, thanks, I was just perusing my local HD with a FD gift card from the squids and spied them, Thanks
            Last edited by tommyt654; 06-22-2011, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• phrog
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Tommy and Bigguyz, Thanks. I may give it a try.
              Richard
              Richard

Comment

• tommyt654
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2008

Hey Richard, btw 1 thing I have found is to use the adds from mags like Wood rather than the ones you can download off the internet, Most HD's sell that mag anyways for like $6, but if you happen to have a subscription like most of us that got in on the Tanga deals then grab a copy of that add and cut out the 20% off coupon, I believe it works better and if they complain just take them to their mag rack and show them the add out of a magazine they sell, That also has helped in the past. But we have about 5 HD'S located around the HF nearby as well as Lowes and they both have honored it in a bout 90% of the times I have tried. I also always try to carry a receipt from either a Lowes or HD depending where I am shopping to show where their main competitor has honored that HF coupon with a 20% off discount. Got to play their game against them to win

Comment

• avenuej
                  Handtools only
                  • Nov 2006

I've bought a couple of 12" Onsrud blades from this seller. I'm very pleased with them.

Comment

• johnk
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2009

Thanks for this!

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Thanks, I too bid the minimum for one and also a 12" Miter saw blade.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• pecker
                        Established Member
                        • Jun 2003

I got one of the 50 tooth combo thin kerf blades for $25. Looking at the carbide size and grind quality, it looks comparable to one of Freud's TK-series blades. So I got a $35 blade for $25...nice, but not gloat worthy.

The 8" non ferrous metal cutting blade I got for $15 was a good bargain, however. Those usually sell for around $50.

Comment

• Fussy
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Oct 2009
                          • Berea, Kentucky
                          • Sears Craftsman 9" bench saw from 1972 still works great

Scott,

Thanks for posting. I got 2 8" combination atb/r for $12.50 each. Minimum w/free shipping. Thanks again.

Steve
                          Steve

Comment

• Basstracker34
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jul 2011

What's the consensus on the thin .098 kerf vs .126 kerf?

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

It depends on the application. 1.5HP table saws really ought to have a thin kerf blade. A more powerful saw can push the wider teeth of a full kerf blade no problem...

For me it's all thin kerf blades...
                              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...