• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

[QUOTE=dbhost;486717]It depends on the application. 1.5HP table saws really ought to have a thin kerf blade. A more powerful saw can push the wider teeth of a full kerf blade no problem... [QUOTE]

+1. It really depends on the saw and the load. The rule of thumb is TK for saws under 3hp, full kerf for saws 3hp +. Either will work on most saws, but a 1/8" full kerf blade is 33% wider than a 3/32" thin kerf, and requires more power to spin....it's most notable when ripping thicker materials. The motors on smaller saws benefit from the lighter load of the TK. TK's pose a greater chance of deflection, but higher quality blades don't generally have much issue if mated with a good running saw with low runout.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Basstracker34
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2011

Ok so pretty much what I was thinking. I've been sticking with looking at the .098 auctions.

Comment

• Fussy
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2009
        • Berea, Kentucky
        • Sears Craftsman 9" bench saw from 1972 still works great

In addition to the two 8" for my 9" bench saw, I got a .098" kerf 10" 60 tooth miter saw blade (-6* hook) for minimum $19.50 with shipping. That's about $250+ worth of premium saw blades for $45.00. Thanks again, Scott. There're still plenty left, and they work well. Get some.

Steve
        Steve

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
          • May 2003
          • Orlando, FL, USA.
          • BT3000

Thanks for the bargain alert, Scott. I bought two blades at minimum bid. 10" 50t thin kerf combo @ $21 as a back up for my WWII on my BT3000. 12" 96t full kerf negative rake miter blade @ $29 for my HF SCMS. I figured that the full kerf may be a little more accurate / less deflection than the thin kerf that came on the saw. Hope the extra mass doesn't cause a problem with the high quality precision gears in the HF saw (!) The full kerf blade is obviously 1/3 heavier than the thin kerf. BTW - cut is MUCH better than the OE HF blade.

Thanks again,

- Lonnie
          OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Well I couldn't stand it anymore, so I broke down and bid on another Onsrud blade....I won a full kerf TCG 60T blade to use mainly on my CMS for pressure treated, but also on my TS for other abrasive materials. $15 delivered, minus my $3.36 in Ebay bucks, so the damages were pretty light in all!
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I have a old Crasftman 1.5HP contractor's saw and use full kerf no problem... I don't think thin kerf is necessarily required if you're under 3HP.

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Man, I got outbid by a measly 50 cents while at work....I hope he has more tk 24 tooth flat grind blades
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by chopnhack
                  Man, I got outbid by a measly 50 cents while at work....I hope he has more tk 24 tooth flat grind blades
                  I'm pleased to say it wasn't me, but his listings do seem to be dwindling a bit. I believe these were closeouts. There are still a couple of FTG rippers but bidding seems to be becoming more common....probably more people recognize the name.

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania
                    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
                    Snipe tools are your buddy!
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• yuri
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jul 2008
                      • Gaithersburg, MD

May be this thread is a culprit, so people read it and go to buy ;-)
                      When I saw this post first time I did nothing. But, once this thread was alive I read responses and finally got "infected" and to buy one. I used snipe tool (gixen).
                      BTW, there is another great deal. Is is Delta 35-7657 10" x 40T Gen Purpose Carbide Saw Blade Here, for $17 plus shipping you can not go wrong.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by yuri
                        May be this thread is a culprit, so people read it and go to buy ;-)
                        When I saw this post first time I did nothing. But, once this thread was alive I read responses and finally got "infected" and to buy one. I used snipe tool (gixen).
                        BTW, there is another great deal. Is is Delta 35-7657 10" x 40T Gen Purpose Carbide Saw Blade Here, for $17 plus shipping you can not go wrong.
                        Oh, those ARE nice blades! How much is shipping? Actually, I'm pretty set right now... But I bought one of those when Lowes clearanced out the Delta stuff. Got it for $20 I think. Then when peach tree had a sale recently I bought another for $22. So with the 3 blades I bought from this thread and the new Delta, I have 4 brand new blades in my office. Now I just need to get my saw to my new shop... and clean out my new shop... and set up the saw... and find time to build a project... and get wood for that project...

But if anyone can't get a cheap Onsrud, the Delta is definitely an extremely nice blade- especially for $17.

Comment

• Knottscott
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Rochester, NY.
                          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                          Oh, those ARE nice blades! How much is shipping? ... But if anyone can't get a cheap Onsrud, the Delta is definitely an extremely nice blade- especially for $17.
                          It likely depends on where you are, but shipping for my Delta from Cripe was $10, so $27 to the door. Very nice blade if a full kerf 40T ATB general purpose blade fits the bill.

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Actually the seller was really awesome and put another one up for me so I snagged one! Flat bottom dadoes here I come :-)
                            Thanks again Scott for the listing, much appreciated.
                            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...