• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Computer won't start Windows....help!

Hi all - This post is way off topic, but I know there is a wealth of knowledge here, so I thought I'd ask. (Yes, I'm in over my head!). The motherboard on my Dell GX280 SMT went bad, so I replaced it with a used one, which bad in about two weeks (returned it under warranty). I've since learned that these MOBO's were notorious for having problems. Long story short, I ditched the effort to resurrect the old Dell, and essentially started building a PC from scratch. I bought a newer used Gigabyte SM-965GA-S2 (Intel 965 chipset) MOBO and am running a Pentium 4 SL7Z7 (650) 3.4Ghz processor with Windows XP and a Western Digital 500GB SATA hard drive.

The PC fired up nicely, ran quietly, goes through some start up stuff, starts Windows XP, then gives me a blue screen saying that there's an error and that Windows shut down to protect my PC. Before it gets to the blue screen, it won't let me choose booting in Safe Mode, and no keyboard selections work. Sometimes it'll allow me to bring up the Boot Menu, but it won't respond to keyboard commands either. I've tried booting without the HD hooked up, and have tried reinstalling Windows XP from the CD drive...it goes thru what I think are the install steps, but hasn't resolved the problem.

As mentioned, I'm well beyond my skill set here...I can spell and repeat the words and the phrases, but know just enough to be dangerous. Up until a few weeks ago, I'd never done more than install memory and replaced a power supply. Before going this far I've tried posting on a couple of PC forums, but they don't seem to respond the way the woodworking community does to pleas for help. Any suggestions (preferably in layman's terms!)?

TIA for any help!

This message is similar to what I'm getting, but not exact...mine says "STOP 0x0000007b":
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pantallazo Azul SATA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	797755
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • Dal300
    Banned
    • Aug 2011
    • East Central Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Rather than me typing it out, try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Comment

• parnelli
      • Aug 2004
      • bt3100

It could be a lot of different things. My initial guess was a missing driver.

I had a 7b error when building a part swap out computer for a coworker that drove me crazy!

But then I read it again, and see that you tried a windows install that also failed...

1)Can you get into the BIOS settings?
      2)Have you tried googling the entire error code, not just the first grouping.
      3)you mentioned a sata drive... is this a new drive mirrored over- or the one from the old system

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks for the replies.

1) I don't think so, and don't know how to get there. It starts up and gives me a listing of PCI drivers and says hit any key to boot from CD, then offers me a chance to start Windows normally or from Safe Mode but I can't key up to any of the selections. F6 or F8 don't do anything during startup, but F12 allows me to go the boot menu, but doesn't allow me to scroll to any of the selections there either.
        2) I did now...the errors are the 0X0000007B, 0xF888D524, 0XC0000034. The F888D524 didn't get any hits, but the other two did. None of the fixes I've read explain how to do it to a PC that's not responding to F8 or F6 prompts.
        3)This is the older HD from a Dell that worked fine. What's different is the motherboard and CPU.

I've downloaded some driver and BIOS updates from the Gigabyte website onto a flashdrive, and transferred those to CD, but either can't or don't know how to get the PC to upload them.
        Last edited by Knottscott; 01-29-2012, 11:51 AM.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

try searching the internet for SPCMDCOM

something like this may help
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

I read something that makes me wonder, do you have one or two hard drives? (at first I read only a new one, then I thought I read you used the old one)

If two, do you know which one boots first, via the bios? Could you have installed XP on the new one and have the old one hooked up and fighting boot sectors? (I am a little out of date on Windows, so this may not be at all)
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Sounds like you've got a couple issues. A driver/OS problem and possibly a keyboard problem. I don't think it's a good idea to flash the Mobo BIOS unless you really need to.

First one to sort out would be the keyboard issue. You need to be able to select different options and get to the different menus. Consult the mobo documantation on how to get into the BIOS setup menus. In there you'll be able to see if the keyboard is working, arrows etc.

When you said you tried reinstalling XP from the CD, was it a clean install or a repair? Rarely will swapping out a drive with a windows install onto another motherboard work properly. Sometimes a windows repair will work, but there will probably other issues later. A clean new install of the OS is usually the better way to go.
              Erik

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

There's only the one HD in the PC, but I do have others available that work. Would it be possible to load the fixes into the HD that I want to install in the new PC using another PC that works with that HD, then swap the HD back into the PC that's not booting properly?

Gotta head to kid's basketball game now, but will check back later. Thanks again everyone! Wish I were PC savvy enough to understand all this.

Comment

• parnelli
                  • Aug 2004
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by Knottscott
                  Thanks for the replies.

1) I don't think so, and don't know how to get there. It starts up and gives me a listing of PCI drivers and says hit any key to boot from CD, then offers me a chance to start Windows normally or from Safe Mode but I can't key up to any of the selections. F6 or F8 don't do anything during startup, but F12 allows me to go the boot menu, but doesn't allow me to scroll to any of the selections there either.
                  Gigabyte boards use DEL to enter bios if I remember.

Entering the BIOS is before everything else you've said up above.

Resetting the BIOS to defaults (Not flashing a new one!) has been known to fix things like this- especially as a used board- it might have some manual settings that aren't working for you. (Like boot order as LinuxRandel mentions)

Disk swap isn't the optimal way- especially without prepping the disk for the swap, but it's doable. Especially going from intel to intel.

Comment

• Rand
                    Established Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Vancouver, WA, USA.

I tried installing XP on a new computer a couple of years ago. I spent about 3 days trying everything I could find on the internet - slipstreaming drivers in etc.

I finally gave up and installed Windows 7 - which is what I am afraid you are going to have to do in order to make it work.

XP is 11 years old now. That's a millenium in the computer world. No manufacturer is going to put resources into supporting it.

If you don't want to feed MS there is always the bit torrent solution.
                    Rand
                    "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by parnelli
                      Gigabyte boards use DEL to enter bios if I remember.

Entering the BIOS is before everything else you've said up above.

Resetting the BIOS to defaults (Not flashing a new one!) has been known to fix things like this- especially as a used board- it might have some manual settings that aren't working for you. (Like boot order as LinuxRandel mentions)

Disk swap isn't the optimal way- especially without prepping the disk for the swap, but it's doable. Especially going from intel to intel.
                      Thanks Parnelli - Does using "DEL" to enter BIOS mean typing the letters "DEL" right at the beginning of start up?

Rand - I had read that I might have trouble with XP, but I'd guess the board itself is maybe 3 years old. Win7 may be something I try.

Comment

• phrog
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2005
                        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Knottscott
                        Thanks Parnelli - Does using "DEL" to enter BIOS mean typing the letters "DEL" right at the beginning of start up?

Rand - I had read that I might have trouble with XP, but I'd guess the board itself is maybe 3 years old. Win7 may be something I try.
                        Hit the DELETE key before Windows starts. I usually press the key every couple seconds after turning the computer on and until the BIOS settings come up just to make sure.
                        Richard

Comment

• mpc
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Cypress, CA, USA.
                          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

DELete key as phrog said. If that doesn't seem to get you into the BIOS, then try these tricks:
                          1: watch the keyboard lights (Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll Lock) as you first turn the computer ON. As soon as they blink, start hitting the DELETE key over and over, as quickly as you can.

2: if that doesn't get you into the BIOS before Windows tries to boot... then force your way into the BIOS: as soon as you turn the computer ON, rapidly type gibberish - keep the keyboard as busy as possible during the computer's power-on-self-test. It's not expecting keyboard input during that test and is thus supposed to generate an error. You should get a message like "Keyboard error - Press F1 to enter SETUP." I've use this on numerous computers really out to lunch during startup.

3: can't get in at all? Unplug the computer from the AC wall cord. Look at the motherboard for a small battery pack - some are three little watch batteries wrapped in plastic, some are quarter-sized watch batteries, etc. If the battery can be removed easily, remove it for 24 hours. Or look near the battery at those little black or blue plastic jumper blocks (about 1mm by 3mm in size, 4mm tall) near the battery for one with a label "clear CMOS" or "disconnect battery" on the mothboard next to it. Remove the jumper for 24 hours. This will cut power to the clock & BIOS data memory chip, clearing the settings.

In the advanced BIOS pages - usually near the end of the various BIOS sub-menu options - will be something like "reset BIOS settings" or "clear BIOS to default" type of option. That can clear up all sorts of nonsense. I had a motherboard once that refused to work if a memory module was installed in the 3rd of 4 slots. ?? Later on the parallel port mode was set to "unknown" - an option not even normally user-selectable nor mentioned in the owner's manual to the motherboard (should only have none, standard, bidirectional, EPP, or EPP+ECP as options). That told me some bits in the BIOS data storage area (same chip that has the clock, it has its own little battery to keep it running while the computer is OFF) got corrupted... then when the BIOS started and used that corrupted data to initialize the programmable options of the motherboard's chipset some things were getting configured to inoperable configurations. Resetting the BIOS to defaults fixed that parallel port issue and the 3rd memory slot issue.

What type of keyboard are you using - a USB keyboard or an older style PS/2 (round connector) style? The USB keyboards need the motherboard's USB port to be configured by the BIOS before they can work properly; sometimes that's a catch-22 situation: if the BIOS is stupid, it can't configure the USB port and you can't get the keyboard to work to reset the BIOS! If using a USB keyboard, many BIOS menus include a USB keyboard setting, often with words like "USB legacy support" - i.e. software map/emulate a USB keyboard and USB mouse into the older style PS/2 drivers. Often this needs to be done for Windows setup/installation since Windows may not "know" about USB ports during the install process... ergo the keyboard doesn't work properly. Especially if your motherboard USB chips are non-Intel parts; the basic Windows installation CD may not have the necessary USB chipset drivers. If you DO have USB keyboards/mice, try to plug them into the USB ports on the motherboard's main input/output panel; don't use USB ports plugged into "header cables" going into the motherboard. That way you have the best chance of using "stock Intel chipset" USB ports which have the best chance at Windows driver support.

Has the clock on the old or new motherboard had issues keeping the correct time? If so, the battery is bad... and crucial BIOS settings are getting corrupted because the clock memory chip isn't getting sufficient power. That'll send any motherboard into never-never land.

Last idea: the hard disk & its cables. What type is the disk - PATA (parallel ATA, the type with wide ribbon cables) or SATA (serial attached which is a smaller cable with a connector less than an inch wide?). PATA drives have a jumper or switch option to select MASTER, SLAVE, and sometimes SINGLE. The PATA cable can support two devices (3 connectors: 1 for the motherboard at one end, and 2 connectors closer together at the other end for disks, CDs, DVDs, etc) and those two devices have to be jumpered properly. One is MASTER, the other is the SLAVE. If both are MASTER or SLAVE they probably won't work correctly. Some hard disks have to be set as "SINGLE" (Western Digital often has this) if no other disk/CD/DVD/etc is plugged into the cable. What happens when the jumper settings are wrong? The device sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I've seen hard drives work for a few seconds and then go invisible... they seem to work enough for the BIOS to start the boot process; then when Windows loads more advanced disk drivers (i.e. drivers that use the higher data transfer rates) the disk seems to suddenly quit working and act like it's not even plugged in. Also, for PATA drives, there are several types of ribbon cables. Look at the insulation of the ribbon cable itself - older PATA cables had 40 ribs visible. New high-speed PATA cables (required for pretty much all hard disks in the last 10 years) have 80 smaller ribs. There are ground wires acting as shields between each signal wire to reduce wire-to-wire cross-talk. Using an older 40 wire cable will make the drive unreliable once the high-speed Windows driver takes over from the BIOS.

mpc

Comment

• Knottscott
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Rochester, NY.
                            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Hitting the delete key did get me into the BIOS setup and the scroll keys are working. Now I just need time to try of a few of the fixes. Setting the defaults didn't seem to get me much. I'm now able to scroll through the selections about booting Windows normally, using the last known good configuration, and all the Safe Modes, but none has changed the outcome. I may eventually need to take it to an old work acquaintance who does this stuff as a hobby....

MPC - The HD is SATA to the best of my knowledge. The power comes from a 1"+ wide slender connector, the data comes from SATA 01. I've actually tried two different hard drives. One is a 500GB Western Digital, the other a 40GB Seagate. Both have the same electrical and data connections. I've replaced the battery just to be sure.

BTW - I'm really proud of the way this woodworking/tool forum has responded to my computer question. As mentioned earlier, the PC based forums I've posted on usually respond eventually, but not the way this group does. I'm sure they possess the knowledge, but don't seem as willing to help out as you folks are. So "thanks" once again...I'm frustrated out of my gourd, but all the replies are reassuring!
                            Last edited by Knottscott; 01-29-2012, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• geeoh
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Nov 2006
                              • Mid Maryland
                              • Delta Contractor

Is the Memory(Ram) in the right slot(s)? Was the M.Board new or used? If used, it could be defective (not saying a new board can't be defective, thats why there are warranties), I have seen bad M.Board Capacitors give M.S. errors and cause all kinds of other erratic issues. Did you format the Hard Drive before you installed the O.S.? Was there fresh thermal paste applied to the CPU Heat Sink? Is the CPU fan running at the correct speed(s), overheating can cause erratic O.S. conditions. The Power Supply not suppling enough power at the right times can also cause erratic O.S. conditions . If the version of XP O.S. does not have a Service Pack update included, then you must use a PS type mouse and keyboard, then install the Service Pack for them to work and DO install the latest Service Pack before going online if you don't have anti-virus and an external firewall (like zonealarm) you will get hit with viruses in seconds!

Comment

Working...