• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Update as of 3/11/12

More upgrades have been installed, so I thought I'd post an update for those interested.

Once we got the PC up and running properly, I upgraded from a Pentium 4 650 3.4Mhz processor to an Intel Xeon 3060 (same as the E6600 Core 2 Duo) 2.4Ghz dual core processor with 4M cache. I've managed to overclock it to around 2.8Ghz and FSB of ~1215Mhz with good stability. The overclocking capabilities of this motherboard are somewhat limited, but does allow me to boost the BUS and memory settings, so that's how I've approached it.

I also obtained more RAM, bringing the total to ~ 5GB.

I experimented with Ubuntu OS for a while, but just wasn't warming up to it, so I proceeded with Windows 7 64 bit a couple of days ago. We were able to obtain a licensed copy for ~ $40 through my son's college. Installing it over XP 32 bit took a few hours, but it's running well, and should be supported for longer than XP will be. Rather than risking totally goofing up the main 500GB hard drive, I bought a clean 80GB HD, and loaded Win 7 onto that. I've also hooked up the original 500GB to use as data storage.

Not sure where I'll head next with this...my wife seems to think I should be painting the kitchen, so if history is any indicator of the future, painting is probably on my horizon! Computerwise, I'd really like to put this rig in a different case. My oldest son gave me this one, and it looks like a decoration for a satanic cult ceremony....a little too radical for my tastes, plus it's huge. I'd like to get one that's smaller and less imposing looking.

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...