• Show
Clear All
  • akronee
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2011
    • Denver, CO
    • Craftsman 315.228110

Harbor Freight Tools? Really?

What's the opinions out there about harbor freight tools? I get their adds, seen their website, and am considering taking a drive to one shortly that's on my way back from work.

I see on their website fairly interesting tools, starting with a 70$ drill press that has 'four stars' with 'positive reviews' which at most websites I ignore items with no negative reviews. However they are at least man enough to have all the 'one star' reviews on their obviously low quality $2.99 clamps.

So I look at other review websites and hear about the ugliness of the stores and the third rate quality of the tools. However these reviews tend to finish with "If you put in the time and look really hard you can find a bargain on a mid level quality tool" which is probably HFT's business model in the first place.

I also see some positive and negative things about specific HFT tools here at BT3, so really my question is, should I bother? (And if someone finds an awesome deal on a good bench top drill press for less than $100 please let me know.)
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

there's some good stuff and some really bad stuff at HF. Some items are gems and others are pure crap. Still others are hit or miss, depends on the day and the batch.

If you do a search here for threads on "HF" and "HArbor freight" "gems" and "bargains" (use different combinations of these words) you'll see some reviews and threads by members praising and panning item by item .

like these threads might interest you:

P.S. as Cabman below states, they have a liberal return policy so if you are not happy, bring it back to them, it just uses your time and gas if you want to experiment.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-17-2012, 09:46 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

I've had pretty good luck with items bought there. They do have a great return policy.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Off the cuff, I think several people have their 14 in bandsaw, one of their DC systems, and lots more. My mind is blank at the moment (what else is new?)

Last fall I bought two of their 3 piece tool chests and am very happy with them. Their 115 piece titanium drill bit is used by many pen turners as is their 28 piece punch set. I have a two stage Vacuum pump that is used in stabilizing blanks for pen turning. And a 1/2 ton press also. I could not have afforded ALL of these with another company. And so far, these are not cut rate.

I also have their largest utility trailer and had it since 2000. It has made a trip to Albuquerque, NM, Dallas, TX, Missouri all from the Memphis area and quite a few 200 mile trips and is going strong.

There are some things I probably would not buy at HF, though. My router, saw and sander requirements as well as bits for them - I buy at quality stores.
        Last edited by leehljp; 02-17-2012, 09:54 PM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

Have the bandsaw, some air nailers, biscuit joiner, router bits, assorted clamps, hammers and some tool cases.

Only thing I absolutely can't recommend is the quick grip clamps. The rechargeable LED shop light, the bandsaw and the nailers are my highest recommendations.
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• vaking
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2005
            • Montclair, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

In an attempt to generalize - instructions supplied with their products are usually lousy, expect that you will need to figure out yourself how to put it together. Or, often, their products are very similar to products of same kind by other brands and then you can downoad somebody else's instructions. For instance - dovetail jig is pretty much same from many manufacturers including HF. So you can download instructions from Rockler and use for HF jig.
            Products themselves are "no frills", they are not polished and perfected like Dewalt. But they will often give you 95% of the functionality that you get from Dewalt at 1/3 the price.
            So their products are never "best buy" but they would sometimes make "best value".
            I don't have any big ticket items from HF but I have for instance a couple of their hand planes. They cannot compete with Veritas planes but they do cut wood and they deliver what planes are supposed to do.
            Alex V

Comment

• jimmy0x52
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2012
              • NYC / PA
              • RIDGID Something or other

Their C-clamps are good, tool stands and mobile bases are good, tarps, tiedowns, consumables in a pinch, some of their measuring stuff.

They have 20% one-item coupons that come out ALL the time. Secret is that you can use them at HD and Lowes (sometimes, depends on how pissy your store manager is). I bought a great hitachi 18V drill+driver set at HD and they let me use the 20% off HF coupon.

There's also certain lines of tools at HF that are better than others. The 'chicago' line is good. People seem to think the oscillating spindle sander is as good as the ones you get at HD or Lowes.

Like others have said - hit or miss. Carry a smartphone in store and check reviews. Never pay full price for anything - keep a 20% off coupon and free tool coupon with you.

Bonus: I had a HF 20% coupon on my desktop I attached here. Good thru 3/6/12. I use it in-store on my phone - no need to print it out
              Attached Files

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Best buy are the digital calipers.
                Air nailers seem to be good for the price.
                Pittsburgh wrenches, sockets seem to be good for light duty shop work.
                I've had OK luck with the Forstner sets.
                F-clamps on sale are OK for bulk clamping needs, 3-4-5 bucks each.

on the bad side
                power tools seem to be rough - I returned the biscuit joiner
                The orange and black one-handed clamp knock off of the Quick grips
                Brad point drill bit set - points were off center
                adjustable square/protractor/center finder combo - poor fit and finish.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-18-2012, 02:30 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Their nailers and staplers are good for the price. I can't get my Duo-Fast or Senco fixed for what the HF tools sell for.

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Good stuff for me. This is a short list that comes to mind.

2Hp DC
                    Cheap 4 1/2 " grinder (I consider a throw -away)
                    Aluminum bar clamps
                    F body clamps up to 36"
                    3/4" pipe clamps with the plate type locking
                    Brad nailer
                    Acid brushes for glue spreading
                    3 pc diamond sharpening 'stones'
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I can only speak for those I've tried, though those I chose not to try didn't look very enticing!

I've been really happy with my 13" benchtop DP (model 38142)...got in on sale for $144 and it runs strong, true, and quietly. I've also been reasonably happy with their mortiser for $100. The Pittsburg bar clamps are a great deal on sale....prolly have a dozen of them. My HF air compressor was cheap, loud, slow, and still working after 5 years. Their $5 hair clippers were a total waste. I've pretty leary of their router bits and blades.

The HF DC has a lot of fans (pun intended), but I don't own one.

If I made my living from these tools I'd want better, but some of the stuff is a decent deal on sale if you're careful.
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• os1kne
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Atlanta, GA
                        • BT3100

There used to be a HF "buy-list" floating around of the HF tools that were a bargain worth buying. I've been pretty satisfied with my purchases from there overall. When you handle the item, you can usually get a feel for whether it's worthwhile or not. With power tools that I use often (drills, circular saws), I tend to choose a big-name brand (particularly cordless). I've got a handful of pneumatic nailers from HF - and they've been great bargains. They don't have the fancy features of the big names, but for less than half the cost I can't complain.
                        Bill

Comment

• Sawatzky
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2005
                          • CA
                          • Ridgid TS3650

I have 3 motorized tools from HF. The smaller dust collector is good, and works well for one tool at a time hook-ups. I use it for my compound miter saw. The 6 inch jointer is also decent, although mine was free from a friend. I also have the smallest drill press, which I picked up for $40. For that price you can't go wrong, and for smaller drilling tasks it works great. I also have a paint spray gun that is also great.

Comment

• jdon
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2010
                            • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                            • BT3100

To echo some previous comments, HF is good for:

consumables- utility knife blades, single edge razor blades come to mind

tools I might use once in a while, so I don't mind the relatively unrefined aspects, and don't want the hassle and expense of renting- angle grinder, air compressor and tools, heat gun, pipe cutter/dies. One really good find for me is their splatter gun for applying wall texture.

tools where precision isn't a concern- Multitool is great, and digital calipers do seem to be accurate and precise. belt sander tolerable, but leery about tolerances for router, drill press, etc. (a preconception, rather than bad personal experience).

I avoid things on which my livelihood or life would depend.

Misc "bads": sharp things- hand plane is horrible, circular saw blades likewise (disposable blades above an exception); furniture dollies with casters; the much reviled black/orange one hand clamps (though acceptable for quick, non-critical and mild clamping).

Comment

• JoeyGee
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

Originally posted by badbert
                              I have the good fortune of living across the street from a HF store! They are awesome. I am a retired Auto Tech. I've owned tens of thousands of Dollars of Snap-on, Mac, and Matco tools. But i own a shop full of HF tools too! A lot of their stuff is decent quality, just don't buy the cheapest versions of their tools! And the shop consumables are the best price around. And their return policy is as others have said, Top-Notch! I confess, I have bought tools there just to use them and return when I couldn't really afford to keep them.
                              I have been resisting posting on this, but your last line is really troubling to me. That is deceitful and only screws HF.
                              Joe

Comment

Working...