X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

To eliminate the frequent battery replacement I have experienced, I sometimes wish I had purchased a small Snapper that was pull start. One school of thought is that by the time I can't mow with my Toro walk behind I won't be able to pull start a bigger motor either. But my experience is that batteries on a mower go pretty quickly and it's a pain to have to keep buying them. My vehicles seem to be able to go six or more years on a battery but my mower never went more than 3 (but I used it little and I'm sure that contributed). The only one that has used it recently was my son when he cut my lawn for me (I was traveling) and he jump started the rider.

Jim

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Today I picked up a 19HP 42" Craftsman T2200 tractor. I am so in love. I considered getting the 22HP V-Twin version, but the drive to pick it up wasn't appealing. Did my yard just fine.

A day long in the making.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Congratulations, may it last you long and alway be reliable!

Comment

• Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by atgcpaul
          I don't know if this is a new thing or an especially bad thing. My dad had a Deere lawn tractor he got in 1990. I'm fairly certain that hood was plastic/fiberglass. He sold it in 2005 or so when he downsized houses. The overall finish was still nice and green.
          They are crappy plastic, not fiberglass. I have one and the hood is cracked all over from normal use and it is garage kept.

Won't buy a JD again for myself or work. They put the local servicing dealer out of business by not renewing their agreement after 50+ years. They decided to give all of the business to a local company with multiple locations in 2 counties instead.

No idea what I would recommend. I am thinking of getting a zero turn...

Comment

• Ken Massingale
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Liberty, SC, USA.
            • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by Hellrazor
            They are crappy plastic, not fiberglass. I have one and the hood is cracked all over from normal use and it is garage kept.

Won't buy a JD again for myself or work. They put the local servicing dealer out of business by not renewing their agreement after 50+ years. They decided to give all of the business to a local company with multiple locations in 2 counties instead.

No idea what I would recommend. I am thinking of getting a zero turn...

It's not just Deere mowers.
            When I was shopping for a compact tractor back in 2010 I found that the 25-35 HP Deere tractors have plastic everything, hoods, fenders and floors!
            Plus all the Deere compact and subcompacts below 50 HP have Yanmar engines, not Deere engines.
            This added to the snobby attitude at the 3 Deere dealers I checked turned out to be a good thing.
            I ended up with a Kubota.

'Nothing runs like a Deere', being chased by a Kubota!

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

That was what I found in my research. To get any real 'quality' I would have had to spend a few thousand. Most of these sub-$2k tractors are essentially the same with different features.

Next thing I will need to do is work on storage. It is underneath the in-laws house right now. If I build my own it will give me practice for a new shop.
              I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
                This added to the snobby attitude at the 3 Deere dealers I checked turned out to be a good thing. I ended up with a Kubota.

'Nothing runs like a Deere', being chased by a Kubota!
                The ex deere dealership we used was a 2 or 3 generation family owned place. No attitudes, etc. Was the cornerstone of the local farming community. Maybe that is why they got dropped. Didn't have the snob attitude and people from other states brought equipment to them for repairs.

Kabota is on my list at work if we need a new compact loader, etc.

Comment

• thiggy
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Alabama.
                  • Craftsman Contractor

Get an old Farmall Cub with a good Woods 42 belly mower. Actually, I use the '49 Cub for fun, but for serious mowing around the house, I like my John Deer X320. The Cub is better in the orchard where tire tracks are not an issue.
                  SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

Working...