• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Just a few "gotchas" to be aware of. From the description it sounds like a postformed top. If it is to be removed, and there is a joint, bad luck has it that the edges may self destruct because they may be glued together besides being mechanically fastened.

If the sink is in the top that is removed, it has to be disconnected. Bad luck has it that old plumbing doesn't work as good as new. The supply shutoffs, may not shut off completely, or the handle could just break off. Old fittings that are left on (or off) for long period (some many years), are very unpredictable.

If the top is a postformed top...integrated short backsplash (curved), and the front edge (curved), don't even try to remove the laminate from the particleboard, as it will never go back on it correctly.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

If you have to remove the countertop, and can without damage to it, I would suggest adding wood strips to the top of the cabinets before reinstalling the it. This would raise the top to the level of the stove and provide clearance if work is needed on the DW in the future.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• jseklund
        Established Member
        • Aug 2006

I agree with removing the countertop, watching for the 'gotchas' that Cabinetman pointed out and installing strips if the lip of the counter will hide them, so that the counter is raised.

Also, depending on how long the countertop is, you may be suprised to find that it's only $100-150 if it's laminate - so it MAY not be the end of the world if it takes some damage and you have to get new....depending on your financial situation.
        F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• greenacres2
          • Dec 2011
          • La Porte, IN
          • Ryobi BT3000

Let's see here--if it's like 8' of countertop with a sink cut-out in the center...i might suggest just enough damage to be unattractive in the kitchen but located perfectly for adaptation to a version of the Ultimate Miter Saw stand.

Just thinking out loud....

earl

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Pappy
            If you have to remove the countertop, and can without damage to it, I would suggest adding wood strips to the top of the cabinets before reinstalling the it. This would raise the top to the level of the stove and provide clearance if work is needed on the DW in the future.
            Is the stove gas with recessed burners? If so, be careful about taking the counters up too much. Some gas stoves need to be higher than the surrounding counters. You wouldn't want to use an oversized pan and turn the flames up too high and end up with a scorched counter or the possibility of fire.
            Erik

Comment

• jseklund
              Established Member
              • Aug 2006

I may have missed this - but where is the dishwasher located in relation to the other cabinets? Is it near the end of a run? If so - there is probably an end panel that I THINK can be removed...not sure how it was secured ...but you may be able to just remove than and get some space?
              F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

The DW is to the left of the sink, and there's nothing else there besides a wall. There is a large (two smaller ones, actually) filler panel to the DW's left, and a small one to the right.

I think I've decided no matter what happens, the counter is going back as it is, no lift. I assume we'll be in this house long enough for me to convince the wife to let me build new cabinets top and bottom, and do it right this time.

I did mention the stove doesn't have a vent, right? Yeah, this is the sort of thing we're dealing with. Including putting an outlet in for the washer and having it sit flush with the wall - no plate.

I could write a book about this house.
                I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• jdon
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2010
                  • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                  • BT3100

Okay- so out the front, sideways, or up are all difficult, but there are two axes of removal that haven't been addressed yet:

1) out the back: remove siding, sheathing and studs (assuming exterior wall);

2) from below: cut through joists, subfloor... just saying, for completeness

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

I'm going to tag onto the end of this thread since it is sort of related.

The dishwasher had largely fixed itself after we switched back to conventional soap and whatever was in the drain got dislodged. I'm guessing popcorn.

The last handful of months though the washing machine had been backing up into the sink. Not much, but enough to bring up anything in the line like coffee grounds. Annoying. We had lived with it until last Friday when it completely backed up the sink. I tried to snake from under the sink and up on the roof. We tore up the sheet rock and found the people who tried to do the plumbing were morons.

Both sides of the sink went back behind the wall horizontally and connected to a four-way junction with the sewer below and vent above. It was impossible to snake. Had to spend $800 to get it corrected and now I have some rock to repair.

We will be paying for these morons for as long as we own this house.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Would love to see a pic.

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

Only pic I got before it was fixed.

In the foreground you can see the cockup they did of the branch from the wall. In the wall you can barely make out the four-way. The other branch under the other side was unused.

This is the fixed version. You can see the nail plate that covers the space where the left branch was. No insulation whatsoever, by the way. Not surprised.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...