• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Remember Colony stain's?

I have been asked by someone to try to match some existing (old) woodwork. This was from when Colony and who knows who else, used a different pigment method to mix their stains. (some sort of powder mix if I remember correctly)
    Probably 15 years ago, they switched from that method and then a year or two later, the last local place, that I knew carried, them, closed. Are they still around? (I figure it will be easier to start from them, to try to match the stain, since I know what was on it)

Thanks
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

No I don't remember "Colony stain" per se. Generally speaking, there's not much difference in oil base stains. Their oil/resin/pigment/solvent ratios may vary, but no earth shaking difference in the end. The term/name "Colony" may have been a color selection. If you have to match up a color on a specific species of wood, you can experiment yourself, or take a sample to a real paint store, and have them match up the stain.

I would recommend once you start with samples take them out to with whatever topcoat you'll be using, because that will change the color/appearance.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

I would take it to a paint store. Kelly Moore carries the Old Master stains and has a pretty large variety of colors.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

To add to C-man's comment, also consider that time and oxidation may have changed the appearance of the old stain so it might be.difficult to exactly match.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
          I have been asked by someone to try to match some existing (old) woodwork. This was from when Colony and who knows who else, used a different pigment method to mix their stains. (some sort of powder mix if I remember correctly)
          Probably 15 years ago, they switched from that method and then a year or two later, the last local place, that I knew carried, them, closed. Are they still around? (I figure it will be easier to start from them, to try to match the stain, since I know what was on it)

Thanks
          Can you post a picture?

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
            Can you post a picture?

I wish I had a picture of the can, but the brand "Colony", as far as I can tell, is just gone. I do remember when they changed, there was some local negative feedback, as the new mixtures was at least as far away color wise, as comparing two other brands of stain. (and that was before the fading/age, etc. issue.
            I was hoping to get lucky and find someone who had experience with this particular brand, before spending a bunch of time, trying to match a color. (just came off of several months of 60+ hour weeks, and I need to catch up a bit)
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

I wish I had a picture of the can, but the brand "Colony", as far as I can tell, is just gone. I do remember when they changed, there was some local negative feedback, as the new mixtures was at least as far away color wise, as comparing two other brands of stain. (and that was before the fading/age, etc. issue.
              I was hoping to get lucky and find someone who had experience with this particular brand, before spending a bunch of time, trying to match a color. (just came off of several months of 60+ hour weeks, and I need to catch up a bit)
              Your best bet would be to go to a paint store, like M-A-B, or a Sherwin-Williams industrial outlet, and give them a sample of the existing wood/finish, and some sample wood of the same species. Some of them are very good. Or, you can do like I do, and have a multitude of cans of a multitude of colors, plus tints, dyes, and japan colors to experiment with.

Pick up a white lab coat, and some nitrile gloves, and start mixing. It helps if you have some easy listening music in the background.

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

I second the Sherwin W folks. Not all locations have stains as part of their inventory so you might want to call around first and find the one in your area that handles the cabinet shops.
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• RAFlorida
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                  • Ryobi BT3000

This outfit?

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Originally posted by RAFlorida

No, that is a store. I don't know if they were based out of here, or just had a operation here, but they were a competing brand to Minwax, or Formby's, when I was growing up.

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

I wish I had a picture of the can, but the brand "Colony", as far as I can tell, is just gone.
                      When I asked for a picture, it wasn't for the can, but for the finish you want to achieve.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Independence, MO, USA.
                        • bt3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                        When I asked for a picture, it wasn't for the can, but for the finish you want to achieve.

That could still be an issue. Between picture formats, that don't show true color, and beatup woodwork in a 25 year old restaurant (friend's, who asked me if I could try to match). I am going to be trying to track down a little piece I can remove. (without too much attention or the health dept. asking about it)

Comment

• jking
                          • May 2003
                          • Des Moines, IA.
                          • BT3100

The Colony brand I remember has an emblem that looked similar to the NBC peacock, but, just the tail feathers part.

Comment

Working...