• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

dvd recorders and dvd/blue ray players

I am out of date on this stuff. A few years ago, some dvd players, only liked plus dvd's while others liked minus. I figure with dvd recorders (for tv's), they may have standardized by now.
    Being that I don't have one, but have a file to convert for a gal who doesn't have a computer (blue ray and cell phone are her only options), I need to burn it onto a disc for her. Which format, do dvd recorders use?

Thanks

Now off to work and learn how to do all of this tonight.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

I would have to think most of the Blu-ray players would support either -R or +R (my budget bedroom one does), as well as either format RW disc.

Now, you said you were converting a file, which I assume to be a movie? The format you put that in would be more important.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Zip1
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI, USA.

For DVD media, DVD-R is still considered the most universal (compatible), but you'll have little problem with either good quality DVD-R or DVD+R (avoid RW discs for this use)

A Blu-ray player will play video DVDs, so you do not need to use Blu-ray media unless you absolutely need High Definition video. Blu-ray media requires a Blu-ray burner, there are no Blu-ray video recorders (in the U.S.)

Also, you need to understand that for a DVD video player to see and recognize a "video DVD" (as opposed to a "data DVD" with simple data files) you need the correct software to create a VIDEO_TS format folder and properly record that to the DVD disc. A Blu-ray video disc requires even more sophisticated software to create the proper files.

If she has a Blu-ray player, it is likely that it will accept a USB "flash" drive with the properly formatted movie file on it.

Different cell phones prefer different format movie files for optimum playback. It'd be best to research the particular model phone she has for compatible file formats.
      Last edited by Zip1; 02-13-2013, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

You can get BluRay burners for you Desk top Computer and probably a USB on for you Laptop. I have one on my PC and use to burn HD recordings off my DVR. Check Ebay or Amazon. got mine from Amazon. You will also need a card in you PC to go with the burner.

Tom

Comment

• cork58
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Wasilla, AK, USA.
          • BT3000

I use DVDFab software and get to use the path I want to follow. It is very user friendly and I believe you can get a free trial and not have to buy it right away.
          Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Thanks all, dvd- it is.

I am reading up on converting avi (it is an older video file and format), to dvd. No way to get it to her cell phone, and the file is way too big for that. I only mentioned Blue Ray, since they play dvd's and that is what she has (I still use a dvd player as I am not big on the licensing differences).
            Will get this done and to her.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...