• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Do You Choose Anonymity

It was brought up whether persons voting in a poll should be anonymous. This poll will just show votes/percentages.

Yes
    71.05%
    No
    28.95%

The poll is expired.

• eccentrictinkerer
    • Aug 2007
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • BT-3000, 21829

IMO an anonymous poll will yield more honest data.

If I choose to share my thoughts leading up to my vote I can do so via a post.
    You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
    of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Is that question in reference to just surveys on this forum or elsewhere?

For the most part, I think votes should be anonymous; but there are times like in committee or meetings that I think it's important to know how individuals feel.... mostly that is because it's nice to work out negatives and get consensus.

Here, I thought our votes were anonymous. But I also think that on a forum such as this where there is a special friendship of sorts, that if one cast a vote, it was quite customary to then post your point of view, reason, etc.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

If there is enough interest, we can take a look into that.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

I elaborated on my thoughts on this in the "posting polls" post. There is use for both imho, so I dont think we need to change anything. Our polls are preset for anon. Correct me if I am wong but on open polls, doesn't it say that your choice will be seen by others?
          You always have the option of not voting too.
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• sweensdv
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • WI
            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

When I opened this thread there were 69 views and only six people voted. That about says it all.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

I suppose there could be a use for both - sometimes a poll on who has what (tools, mags, etc.) is informative. For me, I would never hide behind anonymity in a poll - if I have something to say, I'll stand behind it. If I don't, or find the poll inappropriate, I'll abstain.
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by sweensdv
                When I opened this thread there were 69 views and only six people voted. That about says it all.
                What does that say?

Comment

• sweensdv
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • WI
                  • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

That says that, so far, the vast majority could care less about the question, polls in general or this thread in particular.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by sweensdv
                    That says that, so far, the vast majority could care less about the question, polls in general or this thread in particular.
                    Well, at least you aren't one of those as you described. You've already posted in this thread twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

depends on the subject and content. I think most should be anonymous. There are reasons, but I can think of few, that could benfit from being public.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cwsmith
                        Is that question in reference to just surveys on this forum or elsewhere?

For the most part, I think votes should be anonymous; but there are times like in committee or meetings that I think it's important to know how individuals feel.... mostly that is because it's nice to work out negatives and get consensus.

Here, I thought our votes were anonymous. But I also think that on a forum such as this where there is a special friendship of sorts, that if one cast a vote, it was quite customary to then post your point of view, reason, etc.

CWS
                        certain things like exxpiration date were specific in my mind to this forum.
                        Other things like choosing poll choices are universal. Nothing irks me more than answering a poll for which my choice is not present - a case of not having thought through the possible responses. Like this poll - yes, no but no choice for "it depends" (a category of other migh be good). Anonymity is an option in the VBulletin (this forum's software) poll creation process.

in the case of VBulletin, you can post a personal response if you wish to make your opinion known, in person.
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-13-2013, 04:07 PM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Relative
                          Established Member
                          • Mar 2007
                          • Garden Grove, CA
                          • Ridgid R4512

If the vote is simple statistics such as 'which one do you use?' "is yours an 'innie' or an 'outie?'", then anonymity is fine. But, if an opinion is required, such as when someone responds to an editorial, then attribution should rule.

Mike Cebula
                          Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• vaking
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2005
                            • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3100-1

I am not talking about this forum but in general. Everybody now loves polls and surveys. It often gets overwhelming. I practically never answer surveys. I believe that psychology and statistics are powerful tools and surveys can disclose a lot more about you than you realize and want to disclose. When I got myself a new car - I soon received e-mail rfom a dealership to answer satisfaction survey. When I recieved tenth reminder about that survey - I finally called the dealership and told them that doing survey is not mandatory and It was not a requirement when I was buying a car. Had it been a requirement - I would not have bought it. In my company every time you open a ticket - after completion there will be a customer satisfaction survey. Every so often there are general "employee satisfaction surveys". Usually surveys are supposed to be anonimous but I don't know how much of it is true. In my company for instance employee satisfaction surveys are said to be anonymous but in order to get to the survey - you need to login. I never answer such surveys and regularly I get emails like "employee satisfaction survey will be closing in 3 days and you haven't completed it yet". Such e-mails always make me wonder why anonimous survey requires login and why management tracks who completed survey and who didn't. May be I am paranoid but I am trying to stay away from polls and surveys usually, especially if I need to login or identify myself to take that poll.
                            Alex V

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

surveys in general have a place in the order of things. If someone takes a survey and find out what I want and better address my needs, we both benefit.

What I don't like is generalized all encompassing surveys that it is apparent they have no idea what they are trying to find out. Caller: Will you take a survey? Me: how long will it take? Caller: 15-20 minutes. Me: Forget it, if you don't know what you want to know, don't waste my time.

Yesterday,
                              Caller: please take this survey. Me: Are you being paid? Caller: (long pause) uh, yes. Me: Am I going to get paid? Caller: (shorter pause) uh, No. Me: Hardly seems fair. Caller: (click).
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...