• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

My New Mower Arrived

Yesterday, I heard a faint knock on the door (the bell wasn't rung). When I looked out front, a UPS guy was unloading a big box. I asked him if he needed help, and he said no. He also said that if nobody came to the door, he was just going to leave the box there. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!!!

Anyway I got the box opened and put all the parts together, and found out that there was two broken pieces. One was the rubber lever cover for raising a rear wheel. The other was part of the idle/engage bail cable that holds it tight to the handle. The rubber restraint that fixes the cable placement was just hanging, and the bail was loose (not spring loaded).

My dilemma is that I had to order the mower from Home Depot online, as the stores don't carry that model. I called one of the stores and they said bring it in and you can get a refund. So, if I want that same mower, I have to order it online AGAIN, and wait another week. By that time I won't be able to find my dogs when I let them out.

So, I called Toro corporate, and they offered to mail me replacement parts. The last thing I want to do is spend $400 on a mower and then start fixing it before I can even use it. They also suggested one of their dealers may just swap for another mower if it's in stock. I have this gut feeling that they will say "Sure if we sold it to you".

Today, I'm calling a few of them to see what if anything they will do. I don't want to wait another week. I found another self propelled electric start at Lowes. I may just head over and get one if it's in stock.

• tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Congrats,now get it unboxed and get some pics up. I'm not surprised at UPS and their delivery practices. I routinely order ammuntion from a variety of souces and they'll just leave boxes of live ammo sitting on the front porch after lightly knocking on the front door. If I'm in the shop or napping(done with reckless abandon) they just leave it and move on a practice I abhor.

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by tommyt654
      Congrats,now get it unboxed and get some pics up.
      I think you missed a portion of the post.

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

Dooooh!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

If it is functional, I would let Toro send you the parts. It is the least impact on you. HD will resist taking it back, they will want to send it out to be fixed. They have to sell it used if they take yours and give you another one. I got them to do it once but it took some talking. I bought it from them and two days later the drive belt came off and wouldn't go back on.

If it is non-functional, I might still take the deal on parts. Waiting a week for people to do 10 minutes work + my time to transport the mower would be the reason.

This shouldn't happen but not that it has, my decision is what impacts me the least.

Jim

Comment

• BigguyZ
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2006
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by cabinetman
            Yesterday, I heard a faint knock on the door (the bell wasn't rung). When I looked out front, a UPS guy was unloading a big box. I asked him if he needed help, and he said no. He also said that if nobody came to the door, he was just going to leave the box there. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!!!
            Yup. Seems like few stores bother to require a signature. So they just leave stuff on your stoop. I've had many a high dollar item sitting in front of my house for the day- even in the rain. Luckily I have a 3 season porch, so I just leave the door open to the porch, and lock the door from the porch into the house. The UPS guy knows enough to check and leave it inside. He doesn't even bother to ring the bell. USPS guy doesn't have that part down... so parcels from USPS still are left on the steps.

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

It's situations like this that drive me to buy big ticket items locally whenever I can. If I have a problem I just take it back, explain that I don't buy damaged goods and make them give me another one. A small hassle for sure but the solution to the problem in most cases is usually taken care of in less than 24 hours. As this was sort of a special order from HD, I would still take it back to the local HD and have them replace it with an undamage unit even if it had to be reordered.

One thing I think I would not do is insult the local TORO Dealers by asking them to take care of a problem with a product they did not sell.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by sweensdv
                One thing I think I would not do is insult the local TORO Dealers by asking them to take care of a problem with a product they did not sell.
                But if that Toro Dealer is a service site for them, they'd still get paid for the labor on the repair. Same thing happens to me with Makita tools. I buy from HD with the HF 20% off coupon, and when I've had issues I've had to bring it to a local store that's also the repair center. They'll sometimes whine about not having made the sale, but I can't afford to pay hundreds more to them.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                  But if that Toro Dealer is a service site for them, they'd still get paid for the labor on the repair. Same thing happens to me with Makita tools. I buy from HD with the HF 20% off coupon, and when I've had issues I've had to bring it to a local store that's also the repair center. They'll sometimes whine about not having made the sale, but I can't afford to pay hundreds more to them.
                  +1. I just dropped it off at a local Toro dealer. They will fix everything under warranty, and get this...will fill with oil and gas and make sure it's running OK, no charge. It will be ready tomorrow at the latest.

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

The big box stores seldom stock parts you will need in the future (blades, plugs, filters) so they also have that incentive to get future business.

Comment

• BobSch
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

It will be ready tomorrow at the latest.

Can your dogs last that long?
                      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• cabinetman
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by BobSch
                        Can your dogs last that long?
                        Their heads pop up occasionally.

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

That blows...
                          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
                            That blows...
                            I don't know how the grass grows this time of the year where you are, but after a few days, like 2-3, it's already on its way up. Not in my favor, but, it has rained every day. I think my patience is being tested.

Comment

• jking
                              • May 2003
                              • Des Moines, IA.
                              • BT3100

+1. I just dropped it off at a local Toro dealer. They will fix everything under warranty, and get this...will fill with oil and gas and make sure it's running OK, no charge. It will be ready tomorrow at the latest.

I think dealers for items like this recognize they must provide top notch service. They might lose a sale to a big box store because of lower price, but, if they provide the service, people might think twice the next time. If nothing else, they might gain regular service work.

Comment

Working...